Why does my wife's Win 10 system "spontaneously" wake up?

  1. x509's Avatar
    Posts : 692
    Windows 10 Pro
       #1

    Why does my wife's Win 10 system "spontaneously" wake up?


    I did a clean install upgrade on my wife's system about two months ago. Since then it "spontaneously" starts up after it has been sleeping or hibernating. Sometimes it shuts down again spontaneously after only a few seconds or after a few minutes.

    It showed the same behavior under Windows 7, but I assumed I wiped out whatever was causing that behavior with the clean install.

    I have checked the details of the Power Option, and Wake Up Timers are set to Disable. What else should I be looking at?
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 9
    Windows10
       #2

    My windows 10 does the same thing. I have been told that it could be a. vibration. b. BIOS c dodgy on/off switch. none of which I can do anything about.
      My Computer

  3. x509's Avatar
    Posts : 692
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #3

    TimothyWF said:
    My windows 10 does the same thing. I have been told that it could be a. vibration. b. BIOS c dodgy on/off switch. none of which I can do anything about.
    On my wife's system, it happens even if the system is HIBERNATEing.

    Not sure about the BIOS. Her system used to be mine, before I upgraded. I don't remember this behavior when I used this system.
      My Computers

  4. Bastet's Avatar
    Posts : 1,163
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit
       #4

    Under both the Ethernet & wifi properties there's a setting to wake the device, you can deselect it or choose to only wake on magic packet.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 3
    Windows 10
       #5

    It's probably having nightmares. It was dreaming about Windows 10.
      My Computer

  6. x509's Avatar
    Posts : 692
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #6

    Doctor9fan said:
    Under both the Ethernet & wifi properties there's a setting to wake the device, you can deselect it or choose to only wake on magic packet.
    Doctor9fan,

    Thanks. I made the change 3 days ago and there was only 1 unexpected wakeup since. So I figure that you deserve a Thumbs Up for this help. I would not have figured this out in a thousand years.

    x509

    PS: Any other possibilities? Not that I'm complaining.
      My Computers


  7. Bastet's Avatar
    Posts : 1,163
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit
       #7

    x509 said:
    Doctor9fan,

    Thanks. I made the change 3 days ago and there was only 1 unexpected wakeup since. So I figure that you deserve a Thumbs Up for this help. I would not have figured this out in a thousand years.

    x509

    PS: Any other possibilities? Not that I'm complaining.
    There's something I've just found recently myself, although like you say the wake on magic packet has fixed the majority of auto waking problems there's still the odd time it does (same here) so looked under the advanced power settings for the power configuration I had set & there's something under there for either USB or Ethernet/internet (not near my PC so am trying to remember but if wrong will check tonight) there I found another auto wake which was enabled, I disabled it & had no further night-time waking.
      My Computer

  8. x509's Avatar
    Posts : 692
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #8

    Doctor9fan said:
    There's something I've just found recently myself, although like you say the wake on magic packet has fixed the majority of auto waking problems there's still the odd time it does (same here) so looked under the advanced power settings for the power configuration I had set & there's something under there for either USB or Ethernet/internet (not near my PC so am trying to remember but if wrong will check tonight) there I found another auto wake which was enabled, I disabled it & had no further night-time waking.
    Much appreciated.
      My Computers

  9. Bastet's Avatar
    Posts : 1,163
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit
       #9

    OK x509, I checked my pc & under power options>edit plan settings (of your current power plan)>change advanced power settings> under sleep>allow wake timers I set 'important wake timers only'. This stopped the mid-night wake ups completely.
      My Computer


 

Related Threads
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:16.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums