Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

  1. Joined : Jul 2015
    PA, USA
    Posts : 462
    Windows 10 Pro (Mix of Builds) / Linux Mint
       06 Jun 2016 #21

    CC Cleaner if anything, otherwise I relent against all these optimizers and reg cleaners.

    Even if I had use for them, it's an install, get the specific job done and uninstall.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Oct 2014
    Posts : 655
    Windows 7
       06 Jun 2016 #22

    Registry cleaners do have some value when used by an expert to solve a specific problem. But they are typically used by people who have only a vague understanding of what the registry is and none of the limitations of a registry cleaner. In such hands they are dangerous. That is the view of Mark Russinovich a well known Windows expert.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3.    06 Jun 2016 #23

    "...Registry cleaners do have some value when used by an expert to solve a specific problem..." lMiller7
    I'm not an expert, however, I have used a registry editor by Resplendence to surgically remove specific material, sometimes what appears to be a "shotgun spray," is merely taking out a specific hydra and its many many tiny legs.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 17,424
    Triple Boot 10 Pro & 10 Insider Pro & 8.1 Pro
       07 Jun 2016 #24

    Cliff S said: View Post
    Even then, for larger disks that are severely fragmented, the faster way to "defrag" it, is create a system image and then turn around and reimage the disk.
    No argument there! Only one issue, you'd be surprised (maybe not!) , how many users would respond "What's a backup?". But....that's a whole 'nother topic!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Sep 2014
    Posts : 2,923
    Windows 10 Pro
       07 Jun 2016 #25

    The problem with most of these "cleaners" and "optimizers" is that they often implement risky "fixes" without telling the users of the risks. Also, old versions of these apps can actually damage your system because they aren't aware of new things that have been done.

    It's usually a good idea, if you feel you must use one of these, to only use the most recent version of it, and even then insure that this version was released relatively recently.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Jul 2015
    Eastbourne East Sussex UK
    Posts : 2,441
    Windows 10 Home x64: 1607 Redstone (1) Build 143934.693
       07 Jun 2016 #26

    Mystere said: View Post
    The problem with most of these "cleaners" and "optimizers" is that they often implement risky "fixes" without telling the users of the risks. Also, old versions of these apps can actually damage your system because they aren't aware of new things that have been done.

    It's usually a good idea, if you feel you must use one of these, to only use the most recent version of it, and even then insure that this version was released relatively recently.
    That is why Ccleaner is good because it is kept up to date and comes highly recommended
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Sep 2014
    Posts : 2,923
    Windows 10 Pro
       07 Jun 2016 #27

    hTconeM9user said: View Post
    That is why Ccleaner is good because it is kept up to date and comes highly recommended
    As long as you stick to general cleanup tasks, like emptying temporary files or internet files, sure. But as soon as you go into the more advanced cleanup, you start taking more risks.

    Microsoft doesn't recommend ccleaner at all. for example:

    http://news.thewindowsclub.com/micro...isagree-80369/
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8.    07 Jun 2016 #28

    Mystere said: View Post
    As long as you stick to general cleanup tasks, like emptying temporary files or internet files, sure. But as soon as you go into the more advanced cleanup, you start taking more risks.

    Microsoft doesn't recommend ccleaner at all. for example:

    http://news.thewindowsclub.com/micro...isagree-80369/
    What a load of bollocks... it's safe as houses.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Aug 2015
    Maine
    Posts : 20,974
    Windows10Pro 64Bit on 2 DeskTop Computers
       07 Jun 2016 #29

    Superfly said: View Post
    What a load of bollocks... it's safe as houses.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 17,424
    Triple Boot 10 Pro & 10 Insider Pro & 8.1 Pro
       07 Jun 2016 #30

    OldMike65 said: View Post
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Are Registry Cleaners Still Needed on Windows 10?
Read more:http://news.softpedia.com/news/are-registry-cleaners-still-needed-on-windows-10-microsoft-says-they-re-not-498103.shtml
Windows 10 News
Cleaners ought to be clean (and clear)
Source: Cleaners ought to be clean (and clear) | Microsoft Malware Protection Center
Windows 10 News
Need Direction re. where to discuss my W10 problems
I have encountered several problems re. upgrade to W10. 1) Cannot get Chrome to function at all, which was my preferred browser before W10 (using Win7 and upgrade to 8.1). 2) Edge seems incompatible with Lastpass. So it is inconvenient to look...
General Support
Discuss new Windows 10 build 9926
Still no update found.. 1/23/2015 Time: 8:30AM US Eastern.. I'll keep looking and if anyone finds it post here please. TIA Jeff :)
Windows Insider
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:18.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums