Windows 10: HELP with SFC after DVD upgrade to 10 please Solved

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    19 May 2016 #11

    oops
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    19 May 2016 #12

    ok so uninstalled avast again using revo uninstaller which uses avast uninstaller then goes much further..
    Then I used the cleanavast.exe tool in safe mode
    Then I used the CC cleaner to whack the registry (its nice !)
    Rebooted in between each step
    But look at the attached file..pesky avast is still showing up !

    Having beer and chewing on it all...going to search for avast files manually
    HELP with SFC after DVD upgrade to 10 please Attached Files
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    19 May 2016 #13

    ok there are a lot of avast files on this computer...manifest files in the window sxs directory
    A lot in windows.old from the upgrade..
    Attached a screen shot of SOME of them
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.JPG  
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 11,234
    W10Prox64
       19 May 2016 #14

    pangycat said: View Post
    ok so uninstalled avast again using revo uninstaller which uses avast uninstaller then goes much further..
    Then I used the cleanavast.exe tool in safe mode
    Then I used the CC cleaner to whack the registry (its nice !)
    Rebooted in between each step
    But look at the attached file..pesky avast is still showing up !

    Having beer and chewing on it all...going to search for avast files manually
    This guy had the same problem and deleted them all manually.
    Avast leftovers - Anti-Virus, Anti-Malware, and Privacy Software
    Seems a PITA to me...
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       19 May 2016 #15

    pangycat said: View Post
    ok there are a lot of avast files on this computer...manifest files in the window sxs directory
    A lot in windows.old from the upgrade..
    Don't worry about the files in Windows.old, they're not being reported in SFC.

    Did you search for Avast folders and rename any found before running cCleaner registry pick as I suggested?

    File Explorer search
    kind:=folder Avast
    No? C'est la vie!

    The leftovers are the c runtime Avast carried with it, it left them around in case other pgms needed them. But ... since they are Avast, then it should have cleaned them up, especially the avastclear pgm!
    Again ... C'est la vie!

    Take a look at Program & Features > Installed Programs
    - what C runtimes are installed (vcr, crt, Visual C++ ... redist ...)?
    Is there a vers 2015?
    You could uninstall it x86 (& x64 if there)
    Then install the 2015 runtime (both x86 & x64) directly from MS
    -> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2977003

    Then manually run Windows update - there might be updates to the runtime.

    Doing it this way fixes the component store (winSxS winners and losers registry entires - which SFC looks at to make sure files are in the right place)
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    20 May 2016 #16

    Slartybart said: View Post
    Don't worry about the files in Windows.old, they're not being reported in SFC.

    Did you search for Avast folders and rename any found before running cCleaner registry pick as I suggested?

    File Explorer search
    kind:=folder Avast
    No? C'est la vie!

    The leftovers are the c runtime Avast carried with it, it left them around in case other pgms needed them. But ... since they are Avast, then it should have cleaned them up, especially the avastclear pgm!
    Again ... C'est la vie!

    Take a look at Program & Features > Installed Programs
    - what C runtimes are installed (vcr, crt, Visual C++ ... redist ...)?
    Is there a vers 2015?
    You could uninstall it x86 (& x64 if there)
    Then install the 2015 runtime (both x86 & x64) directly from MS
    -> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2977003

    Then manually run Windows update - there might be updates to the runtime.

    Doing it this way fixes the component store (winSxS winners and losers registry entires - which SFC looks at to make sure files are in the right place)
    I did the re-naming of the current avast folders which were all under winsxs .. ..it was job to take ownership/give permission from trusted installer to me and then change back after to NT User/Trusted Installer
    Then I rebooted and ran sfc and it ran to 9% and crashed out and reported corrupted files.
    It has always run straight through before.
    I will restore (re-image) using Macrium later this morning after wifey's periscope job... I love Macrium, its far better than acronis and gives me the confidence to mess about in system files and has let me switch drives etc with never a hiccup.....

    The run time stuff is new to me, but I will tackle that too when I get back...
    I wonder why the renaming of acronis folders caused sfc to crash at 9% of the run and report corrupted files ?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       20 May 2016 #17

    pangycat said: View Post
    I did the re-naming of the current avast folders which were all under winsxs
    ...
    Messing around with the component store is tricky.

    After you restore I suggest using Windows to correct the issue
    Do NOT run SFC until we're sure - that just puts you in a loop or worse

    1. Programs and Features: Uninstall Avast

    2. Run the Avast cleaner

    3. Programs and Features: Make a note of what C++ redists are installed
      Uninstall all C++ redists (both x86 and x64 versions)
      Restart the machine
      Re-install the C++ redists (both x86 and x64 versions) from the MS link I gave you above that were installed

    4. Cleanup the image
      See: DISM - Repair Windows 10 Image - Windows 10 Forums

      Use step 6. To Use DISM /RestoreHealth /Source:wim Command if you downloaded the ISO from Techbench

      Use step 7. To Use DISM /RestoreHealth /Source:esd Command if you used the Media Creation Tool

      Report back if DISM reported any errors - I'll need to look at the CBS log

    That's enough for now - those steps should clean up your machine. Remember, the only thing SFC reported was the reference to AVAST C runtime. Reinstalling MS C runtime should make them the SxS winners.

    After you complete those steps, I'll ask you to look at a few other things before proceeding.
    Do NOT run SFC until asked ... you might have to divert from the path to fix something else
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    20 May 2016 #18

    ok many thanks I will get on with it. I tried the DISM a couple if times yesterday... anyway, I will follow the instructions to the letter and see if that makes the difference..... As an aside, I have had to re validate office about 3 times now (phone), because even switching out the graphic card kills the validation....(not w10 though) Is there a max number of times I can re validate by phone ? It is retail and I have it on the max 2 computers so I am within the rules, but re validating 4 times in a week might cause a hiccup ? The W10 upgrade DVD caused a re validate, even though the hardware didn't change at all.
    The dism command using es switch didn't work... as this is a new install, I am losing patience with it - so I am going to do a clean w10 install from the latest iso, install office and try for the billionth re validate and see if MS play ball.. saving macrium images all the way...I'll be back !
    Last edited by pangycat; 20 May 2016 at 14:20.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    21 May 2016 #19

    Retired hurt. This is a new installation without much on it, so I chickened out and did a clean install from the windows media.. I installed excel/outlook and they validated auto and windows 10 too. Ran sfc and got the long longed for ok.
    So all is peace in the farmyard. The nearest thing I can liken this to is trying to get AOL off a computer which I tried and failed to do some years ago. That was a reformat job too.
    ok I would like to thank everyone for their contributions which have taught me a lot and gave me some great new utilities and settings knowledge. I have four computers which each has a W10 drive and a W7 drive, and they all check out 100%, so I am content.

    Without Macrium I would be totally lost. Next job is to figure out 10 to 10 networking that doesn't involve knowing the credentials of the other shared computer's folder. That will be on another thread..so see you there and thanks again.. Alan
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       21 May 2016 #20

    A clean install will cure what ails ya - everytime

    Take a look around the Tutorials section for help on networking.

    Bill
    .
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Related Threads
Hi Guys, I'm trying to upgrade a Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit machine to Win 10 Pro 64-bit. Ideally I want a clean install... I tried using the method that worked before on other PCs (Media Creation Tool -> Upgrade this PC) but I got a BSOD when it...
I feel that we as experts on this forum should try and persuade any novices who are not sure about upgrading to Windows 10 should help explain why its good for them to upgrade from earlier versions. So I'll start off: Latest security ...
I have some Win 7 upgrade dvds from Microsoft, previously used on pc's that have now been upgraded to Win 10. Q: Can I use a Win 7 upgrade on an old Win XP unit ? Will it be refused as an already used key ? What I am aiming to accomplish is...
Hi All Had Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit OEM-SLP on HP laptop and got the Get Windows 10 icon a few weeks ago. Reserved copy but as it didnt download i went to Microsoft and downloaded the Media Creation tool to upgrade that way. After install all worked...
Read somewhere that the latest Win 10 Insider Prev will be upgrades to Win 10 full when it is released. A good idea to install this sooner rather than upgrading Win 7 / 8.1 to 10?
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:47.
Find Us