Windows 10: Excessive Storage? Solved

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    15 May 2016 #11

    DavidE said: View Post
    In the WinDirStat menu/options check Show Unknown and see if any space is used for Unknown.
    WinDirStat has 23.3GB Unknown but the context menu is greyed out so am unable to see what this is. Are tools available to find what makes up the Unknown?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 12,502
    Windows 10 Pro
       15 May 2016 #12

    What things have you tried so far?
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 357
    Multi-Boot W7_Pro_x64 W8.1_Pro_x64 W10_Pro_x64
       15 May 2016 #13

    dhwalt10 said: View Post
    WinDirStat has 23.3GB Unknown but the context menu is greyed out so am unable to see what this is. Are tools available to find what makes up the Unknown?
    Try WizTree, it often can see files and folders other programs have a problem with.
    They have a Portable Zip available, no installation needed.
    Antibody Software - WizTree finds the files and folders using the most disk space on your hard drive

    Often the issue is caused by filenames (including path) that are too long and cause problems.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 329
    Windows 10 Pro x64, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, Windows 8.1 Pro x64
       15 May 2016 #14

    It is most likely your page file, swap file and/or your hibernate file allocation. They are by default sized based on the amount of RAM you have installed.
    To see them, you must unhide the Protected Operating System files.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 12,502
    Windows 10 Pro
       15 May 2016 #15

    The pagefile is shown as virtual memory or in TreeSize in the filegroup that isn't in a folder.
    Attachment 79857
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  6.    15 May 2016 #16

    axe0 said: View Post
    The pagefile is shown as virtual memory or in TreeSize in the filegroup that isn't in a folder.
    Attachment 79857
    I will mark this a solved:

    1. WizTree was a good suggestion and I found GBs of hidden metadata in $Extend.

    2. Did an Admin CMD and ran 'fsutil resource info c:\' to check for transactions.

    3. All OK then ran fsutil resource setautoreset true on C:\ (CMD will hint the format and choose drive as appropriate)

    4. Restarted and waited a long...long time as fsutil worked through the SSD. - be patient!!

    5. Windows restarted and freespace jumped from 174GB to 200GB.

    6. WDS now has 0% unknown with 1 item.

    I hope the metadata does not regrow.

    Excellent support and your feedback pointed to a possible solution. Thanks all at tenfoeums.com.
    Dave
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 12,502
    Windows 10 Pro
       15 May 2016 #17

    $Extend is a folder you can't even see in Explorer with all hidden stuff unhidden, never heard of that folder either.

    Good to hear you solved it
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  8.    25 May 2016 #18

    dhwalt10 said: View Post
    I will mark this a solved:

    1. WizTree was a good suggestion and I found GBs of hidden metadata in $Extend.

    2. Did an Admin CMD and ran 'fsutil resource info c:\' to check for transactions.

    3. All OK then ran fsutil resource setautoreset true on C:\ (CMD will hint the format and choose drive as appropriate)

    4. Restarted and waited a long...long time as fsutil worked through the SSD. - be patient!!

    5. Windows restarted and freespace jumped from 174GB to 200GB.

    6. WDS now has 0% unknown with 1 item.

    I hope the metadata does not regrow.

    Excellent support and your feedback pointed to a possible solution. Thanks all at tenfoeums.com.
    Dave
    Forgive me for jumping on this post but do I have a similar problem? I have added a screen shot showing my C drive with used space on the SSD but Foldersize showing the total of the folders on the drive as only 42GB. Would I be able to run that command fsutil resource setautoreset true on C:\ as well?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (2).png 
Views:	7 
Size:	189.5 KB 
ID:	81600
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    26 May 2016 #19

    gwladok5 said: View Post
    Forgive me for jumping on this post but do I have a similar problem? I have added a screen shot showing my C drive with used space on the SSD but Foldersize showing the total of the folders on the drive as only 42GB. Would I be able to run that command fsutil resource setautoreset true on C:\ as well?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (2).png 
Views:	7 
Size:	189.5 KB 
ID:	81600
    Sorry, I forgot about the hidden system files! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (5).png 
Views:	6 
Size:	240.2 KB 
ID:	81643
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    26 May 2016 #20

    gwladok5 said: View Post
    Forgive me for jumping on this post but do I have a similar problem? I have added a screen shot showing my C drive with used space on the SSD but Foldersize showing the total of the folders on the drive as only 42GB. Would I be able to run that command fsutil resource setautoreset true on C:\ as well?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (2).png 
Views:	7 
Size:	189.5 KB 
ID:	81600
    Sorry, I forgot about the hidden system files! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (5).png 
Views:	6 
Size:	240.2 KB 
ID:	81643
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Related Threads
Excessive TCP connections open in Network and Sharing
I recently noticed that even immediately after rebooting my system (Windows 10x64 Pro) but I have around 200 TCP connections open before I even begin opening Internet Explorer, Outlook etc. I'm attaching a file taken with TCPviewer immediately...
I've been having problems with Internet speed variations recently. Today I had a Tech from my ISP here to look at the problem and he discovered that immediately after boot I have over 50 active sessions open on my PC, even before I open a browser...
I am a pensioner who has a special telephone/internet package for those of us on limited incomes. This package only allows 10GB of bandwith usage per month after which we have to pay 5.50 for each block of 5GB over the 10GB limit. When I was...
Solved Excessive CPU Usage with Browser(s) in Performance & Maintenance
Hello all, I recently purchased new a Lenovo Flex 3 1130 (80LY), 2 in 1 laptop. I'm aware it's a entry level machine and it's purpose is primarily just for school. Definitly not going to run my server.....lol. Everything is as expected with the...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:00.
Find Us