Windows 10: Poor Win 10 performance. Software takes a long time to start etc Solved

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    07 Apr 2016 #1

    Poor Win 10 performance. Software takes a long time to start etc


    Hi,

    I installed Windows 10 a few weeks ago and experience a poor performance on the entire system.

    The problem identifies itselves in the following ways:

    - Often when I double click an icon to start a software nothing happens at all. After a few tries the software starts as expected

    - While running various software it stoppes working for a few secounds all the time. When I would like to copy this text into Word 2016 for example and do a spelling check before posting, Word 2016 shows (stopped working) behind the name at the top several times before I am able to do the spelling check. This happens in basically all programs.

    - While writing there is often (but not always) a time lag from when I press a letter to it is displayed on the screen. It can be from just a little longer than normal to several secounds.

    I use Kaspersky antivirus and have tried to deactivate it, but this do not solve the problem.

    As far as I can see there is no stress on the CPU. The computer fan is at low and the CPU is running barely over 10%

    Any ideas what can be wrong? It was not like this in Windows 7 for sure...
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2. hTconeM9user's Avatar
    Posts : 2,551
    Windows 10 Home x64: 1607 Redstone (1) Build 14393.953
       07 Apr 2016 #2
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3. davidhk's Avatar
    Posts : 4,765
    windows 10 Home threshold2
       07 Apr 2016 #3

    Hoggorm said: View Post
    Hi,

    I installed Windows 10 a few weeks ago and experience a poor performance on the entire system.

    The problem identifies itselves in the following ways:

    - Often when I double click an icon to start a software nothing happens at all. After a few tries the software starts as expected

    - While running various software it stoppes working for a few secounds all the time. When I would like to copy this text into Word 2016 for example and do a spelling check before posting, Word 2016 shows (stopped working) behind the name at the top several times before I am able to do the spelling check. This happens in basically all programs.

    - While writing there is often (but not always) a time lag from when I press a letter to it is displayed on the screen. It can be from just a little longer than normal to several secounds.

    I use Kaspersky antivirus and have tried to deactivate it, but this do not solve the problem.

    As far as I can see there is no stress on the CPU. The computer fan is at low and the CPU is running barely over 10%

    Any ideas what can be wrong? It was not like this in Windows 7 for sure...
    Please run a full virus scan, then see if any improvements.
    Please post back the result.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4. davidhk's Avatar
    Posts : 4,765
    windows 10 Home threshold2
       07 Apr 2016 #4

    Hoggorm said: View Post
    Hi,

    I installed Windows 10 a few weeks ago and experience a poor performance on the entire system.

    .
    What is you Win 10 version ?

    In your search box, type winver > Enter.
    It tells you which version you have.

    This is mine ....................

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Win 10 version.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	73646
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    07 Apr 2016 #5

    I have the same version you have; 1511 (OS-build 10586.164) Windows10 Pro

    I started a full virus scan, but after 10 minutes it had not scanned a single file yet, so I aborted it. I'll try it again tomorrow.

    I'm currently running the SFC Command suggestion by hTconeM9user above. It is currently 25% complete, so I won't have any results until tomorrow.

    Thank you for all help so far. I'm hoping there is a solution to this. I have Auslogics BoostSpeed 8 and have applied basically every performance optimization suggestion it gives, but I do not see any improvement at all. And as mentioned the CPU is not struggeling at all...

    It just took over a minute to start BoostSpeed 8 (I've disabeled the start with windows feature thinking it maybe was the cause to this) and nearly three (!) to get Word 2016 up and running... It is just ridicilus...
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6. davidhk's Avatar
    Posts : 4,765
    windows 10 Home threshold2
       07 Apr 2016 #6

    Have a look at this tutorial.

    How to Optimize the Performance of Windows 10
    Optimize Performance of Windows 10
    I am not asking you to do all the methods listed. Try what you think is more applicable to your case.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7. hTconeM9user's Avatar
    Posts : 2,551
    Windows 10 Home x64: 1607 Redstone (1) Build 14393.953
       07 Apr 2016 #7

    Hoggorm said: View Post
    I have the same version you have; 1511 (OS-build 10586.164) Windows10 Pro

    I started a full virus scan, but after 10 minutes it had not scanned a single file yet, so I aborted it. I'll try it again tomorrow.

    I'm currently running the SFC Command suggestion by hTconeM9user above. It is currently 25% complete, so I won't have any results until tomorrow.

    Thank you for all help so far. I'm hoping there is a solution to this. I have Auslogics BoostSpeed 8 and have applied basically every performance optimization suggestion it gives, but I do not see any improvement at all. And as mentioned the CPU is not struggeling at all...

    It just took over a minute to start BoostSpeed 8 (I've disabeled the start with windows feature thinking it maybe was the cause to this) and nearly three (!) to get Word 2016 up and running... It is just ridicilus...
    You have Boost speed which I also have try the other free one from Auslogics Tweakbit FixMyPc it is free and it clears up and runs on its own in the background
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8. davidhk's Avatar
    Posts : 4,765
    windows 10 Home threshold2
       07 Apr 2016 #8

    To : hoggorm,
    All those so-called "boostspeed", registry cleaners etc are at best snaked oiled, at worst potential damage to your computer.
    Stay away of those garbage.

    Read these replies from Microsoft Community forum.
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...c5c656d?auth=1

    Teen geek was the only one saying it was good, and he was the least experienced one among all the members who replied.
    Those who opposed using it were the well known experts.

    I knew all those people. I used to be a member there wearing a MCC badge (2011) until I stopped contributing in order to concentrate on a new business endeavour.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    08 Apr 2016 #9

    Hi, what is the spec of your PC?
    System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums - Windows 10 Forums

    Have you checked it is Win 10 compatible?

    How did you install Win 10 - did you upgrade or clean install (recommended)?

    What happens if you clean boot- do you see any difference?
    Clean Boot - Perform in Windows 10 to Troubleshoot Software Conflicts - Windows 10 Forums
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    08 Apr 2016 #10

    Ok, first of all – the problem appears to be fixed. As far as I can see there was a Cloud service software that was constantly checking and updating my rather large collection of pictures and saving them to the cloud. I did not have many programs running, but started to shut down one after the other until the performance suddenly increased.

    I find it somewhat strange that this did not identify it selves in the taskbar. There everything was calm and quiet as mentioned above. Both CPU, disk and internet was well below maximum. Maybe you know why?

    I did a full virus scan without finding anything
    I've done the SFC command three times and it do find a problem that was not fixable. To try to fix this I continued with the DISM repair suggestion but it finished saying that it could not do anything since it could not find the required files. I do not know where to find them, so I stopped there...

    dalchina said: View Post
    Hi, what is the spec of your PC?

    Have you checked it is Win 10 compatible?

    How did you install Win 10 - did you upgrade or clean install (recommended)?
    I’ve entered my specs for this laptop now. I have not done this before since I have several computers running Windows 10, and all have different specs…

    No, I have not checked if this laptop is Win 10 compatible, but I assume it is.

    I did an upgrade from Windows 7 and then restored it to a clean install immediately after the upgrade was done.


    davidhk said: View Post
    To : hoggorm,
    All those so-called "boostspeed", registry cleaners etc are at best snaked oiled, at worst potential damage to your computer.
    Stay away of those garbage.
    I know there are different opinions regarding such software, but I am no computer expert as yourself. How would you suggest that I keep my computers running smooth and problem free without advanced usage of the system?

    davidhk said: View Post
    Have a look at this tutorial.

    How to Optimize the Performance of Windows 10
    Optimize Performance of Windows 10
    I am not asking you to do all the methods listed. Try what you think is more applicable to your case.
    Thank you for the link. I’ve done most of these that do not require buying more RAM, a new HD etc.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Hello, Our computers are running Windows 10 with Server domain, but we have a problem. Each first login takes long time to login and some time it gets stuck on the welcome screen when too many teachers logged on the machine. I had contacted an...
Windows 10 takes a long time to do any task! in Performance & Maintenance
I have a Lenovo z510 Laptop with 6GB of DDR3 RAM and 1TB of HDD and 8 Logical cores of a Core i7 4702MQ CPU processing at 3GHz ... I don't say that it is a high end system(and it is not!) but neither I think that it is a Low End or even Low Mid...
Login takes a long time in Performance & Maintenance
Hi, since the fresh installation of win10 after awhile login takes a long time. I created a new user and copied all my files to that account and the problem was solved but after 3-4 Weeks it gets slower and now it almost takes a minute to...
My wife and I both have HP laptops that has Win 7.... We upgraded to Win 10 and now every time we close or they time out and shut off. It takes a REAL long time to re-start... The ON button is always lit and the WiFi light remains on I had to hold...
The default display settings for the SETTINGS > SYSTEM > Apps & Features page are to display apps "By Size" and to look for apps on "All Drives". The latter is particularly stupid when you consider that Windows and the Store app install all apps to...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:58.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums