Windows 10: Chkdsk issue Solved

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

  1. Posts : 25,479
    Dual boot: Windows 10 Home Insider Build 16179 & W8.1 Pro x64 with Media Center
       10 Apr 2016 #11

    isaacntk said: View Post
    I found some time to do a chkdsk. Instead of running it through boot, I decided to do it through the bootable rescue disk. 12 Hours in, I'm at stage 5 - I think. There's some issue with the printing. I can run it as long as I need for now, but a quick calculation of the rate its going (~50 sectors/files/clusters? idk what the unit is) per second, about 37 million more to go, It seems it should complete in about 8.7 days. I'll leave it till tomorrow night to see if the rate improved. The ETA is hovering around 1 hour and 40 mins, but the seconds don't count down.
    Thanks for the progress report. That seems like an awful long time....
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 26,460
    Windows10Pro 64Bit - Build 14393.1198
       10 Apr 2016 #12

    You just might to have to replace that drive.....at some point. hopefully everything will turn out alright.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    11 Apr 2016 #13

    OldMike65 said: View Post
    You just might to have to replace that drive.....at some point. hopefully everything will turn out alright.
    Yeah I agree. Its a 2tb drive partitioned into the windows partition and another storage partition (C and D respectively).

    If I get 2 new drives to replace it, would it be possible to copy each partitions' contents and still have a bootable drive in C?
    Or should I just get a 2tb replacement and do a low level copy of the entire disk?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 26,460
    Windows10Pro 64Bit - Build 14393.1198
       11 Apr 2016 #14

    isaacntk said: View Post
    Yeah I agree. Its a 2tb drive partitioned into the windows partition and another storage partition (C and D respectively).

    If I get 2 new drives to replace it, would it be possible to copy each partitions' contents and still have a bootable drive in C?
    Or should I just get a 2tb replacement and do a low level copy of the entire disk?
    Which ever you prefer, I would think getting a new WD Black 2TB would be a really nice choice. Their fast and reliable hard drives. I've used a program like Ubuntu installed on a Flash drive to recover and move files off a failing hard drive before with good success.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    11 Apr 2016 #15

    OldMike65 said: View Post
    Which ever you prefer, I would think getting a new WD Black 2TB would be a really nice choice. Their fast and reliable hard drives. I've used a program like Ubuntu installed on a Flash drive to recover and move files off a failing hard drive before with good success.
    I'm thinking of getting separate drives so I can maintain them separately. However, I'm unsure if merely copying partition(as opposed to the entire disk with partition tables etc) contents would be enough to maintain the bootability of the C drive.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Related Threads
Solved CHKDSK problem in Drivers and Hardware
I have a two hard disk computer, with Win7 as my primary OS and Win10 installed on the secondary, totally separate HDD. When I boot into Win10 everything works fine except... that I have to run CHKDSK on all HDD (including partitions) when I want to...
Solved CHKDSK Scan upon restart. in Performance & Maintenance
Hi All. I would appreciate some help on this one if at all possible. I have two seperate harddrives installed. On my one drive which is may main one I have a copy of Windows 7. My second drive has two partitions, one running Win 7 Pro and...
W10 PC hangs on chkdsk in Drivers and Hardware
Hi Opens a CMD prompt as admin and ran chkdsk r on the c drive, the drive was busy so it ran on restart. The process was going okay but stopped 0n 12%, it stayed on 12% for 12 hours then I restarted and chkdsk ran and again it stopped on...
Is Win-10's CHKDSK utility any more superior than that of Win-7 as far as the ability to check files and repair Windows drives/partitions/boot records? I have a bootable Win-7 repair disc and I have a Win-10 bootable repair disc. So I can boot...
Chkdsk oddity in Performance & Maintenance
By chance checked diskpart commands on PS and found warnings regarding both USB drives (one a micro-SD). PS C:\windows\system32> Get-Volume DriveLetter FileSystemLabel FileSystem DriveType HealthStatus OperationalStatus SizeRemaining ...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:37.
Find Us