Windows 10: Copying to external Hdd very slow

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    27 Mar 2016 #11

    Hi,

    The 3Tb-drive is connected directly to a USB3 port from the mainboard.
    It is externaly powered by it's own poweradapter.
    The 2Tb drive is internal and connected to the mainboard using SATA.
    So i'm still not sure what is caussing this slow trasferrate...

    Luc
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. Arc's Avatar
    Posts : 1,648
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home
       27 Mar 2016 #12

    Transfer the data in smaller parts, whiteout doing the whole data at once?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3.    27 Mar 2016 #13

    Arc said: View Post
    Transfer the data in smaller parts, whiteout doing the whole data at once?
    Hi there

    that actually doesn't solve the OP's problem and it's not always so simple to copy smaller pieces of the data.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. Arc's Avatar
    Posts : 1,648
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home
       27 Mar 2016 #14

    jimbo45 said: View Post
    Hi there

    that actually doesn't solve the OP's problem and it's not always so simple to copy smaller pieces of the data.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Yes, it will not be a permanent solution, but at least it might do the job at present.

    Please feel free to post the actual solution.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 18,659
    Triple Boot 10 Pro & 10 Insider Pro & 8.1 Pro
       27 Mar 2016 #15

    jimbo45 said: View Post
    Hi there

    that actually doesn't solve the OP's problem and it's not always so simple to copy smaller pieces of the data.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    There is an option to use Macrium (free) to do a folder/file backup. It's reliable and fast. And can be picked at simply by mounting the image created. Just a thought....
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6.    27 Mar 2016 #16

    Hi there.

    Macrium is good for IMAGING HDD's (usually the OS) but probably not a good idea for copying DATA -- problem is once you've copied the data with Macrium you then have to restore it again !!!. No problem for OS partition - but if you are copying say 4TB of multi-media data that's going to take a LONG time to back it up and restore again --this is one area where a simple copy works best.

    USB3 should work -- I can get native speeds of up to 220 Mib/S - average as I showed before around 110 Mib/s from an external USB HDD (passport self powered type).

    I can only surmise that the bus speed of the Mobo in the computer isn't fast enough or the drivers aren't correct. Usually USB3 is decently fast even for copying a few TB of data.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. Arc's Avatar
    Posts : 1,648
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home
       27 Mar 2016 #17

    Hi Luc.

    Will you allow me to see your system in a bit more depth? I want to check two/three things actually. Can you please upload your MSINFO32.nfo file?

    System Information File - Create in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 18,659
    Triple Boot 10 Pro & 10 Insider Pro & 8.1 Pro
       27 Mar 2016 #18

    jimbo45 said: View Post
    Hi there.

    Macrium is good for IMAGING HDD's (usually the OS) but probably not a good idea for copying DATA -- problem is once you've copied the data with Macrium you then have to restore it again !!!. No problem for OS partition - but if you are copying say 4TB of multi-media data that's going to take a LONG time to back it up and restore again --this is one area where a simple copy works best.

    USB3 should work -- I can get native speeds of up to 220 Mib/S - average as I showed before around 110 Mib/s from an external USB HDD (passport self powered type).

    I can only surmise that the bus speed of the Mobo in the computer isn't fast enough or the drivers aren't correct. Usually USB3 is decently fast even for copying a few TB of data.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Yes, Jimbo... moving 4TB of data from A > B using anything is going to take a long time. BUT, you do not have to restore the entire data backup I described to get to 1 file. Mount the image and copy the file.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9.    27 Mar 2016 #19

    Hi,
    I uploaded my systeminfo.
    I hope you can read it because it's in dutch...

    Bye,
    Luc
    Copying to external Hdd very slow Attached Files
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10.    27 Mar 2016 #20

    Hi,

    That SyncToy app is just great !
    I tested it for keeping my files on the 3tb-disk updated and it works 100% !
    Very nice program !
    Thanks for that tip !

    Luc
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Related Threads
Hi all, I'm using an Intel SSD 240GB 520 series. Always loading very fast, i.e., about 8 seconds from cold boot. Since windows 10 is installed, boot time is about 20 seconds and desktop icons take some time to refresh and load their images. ...
copying reading list to another pc in Browsers and Email
Anyone know how to copy a Edge reading list from one pc to another? I know I could use One note, copy paste the page address, or use a similar program, however is there a more efficient way something like google saving passwords. Cheers Raz
In Windows 7, it can be a real bother to leave a folder to copy to another drive, with some files in the folder being new versions to replace versions already existing in a same-name folder on the drive that's being copied to... and at some point...
Solved slow complicated file copying in General Support
I am using Win10 10240. I have a problem copying a large number of big files. The setup is a bit tortuous. The source is an old WD Cloud NAS on ethernet via my ethernet connected router. The destination is an external hard drive on USB3.0 ...
Windows 10 copying Speed in General Support
Windows 10 is slow and jerky copying multiple files between Hard Drives.
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:25.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums