Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
  1.    24 Mar 2016 #61
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    N.Y.
    Posts : 3,069
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBear View Post
    HP phoned me back tonight. The computer has not been freezing up at all. Has been performing well. Though I have found a different problem tonight which may be corrupted files, or a Windows 10 glitch. HP told me not to try to download files from their website on my own like that anymore because not all of those files were specifically for my pc. He said that especially the wrong video one will corrupt other things on my computer. Something else seems to be wrong but I do not have time tonight to post a new question.

    Thank you for all your help, jds63! Whatever the cause the freezing problem seems to be resolved. :O)
    So what exactly was this new problem you found that you may think might be Windows 10 or corrupted files ?
    If those files were not all specifically for your PC under the correct model number shown on there site, it can only be what i thought before they have 2 different versions or revisions of that model. This similar to 2 different revisions of a motherboard.

    Sounds odd that they do this and make you instead use there HP Assistant or there detect system online which does not seem to even work well to begin with and not able to update drivers well until you contacted them and then them telling you this. Why bother putting driver updates online without enough detail.

    Wrong Drivers, outdated and corrupt will cause you issues as we saw. Your system specs originally showed Intel Display Adapter, but they list 2 because mattering to which is put in that model i can only assume after all this talk from them about what is right and what is wrong.

    Let me know if i can help you further with this other issue and if any issues with freezing again. You are most welcome !!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    27 Mar 2016 #62
    Join Date : Mar 2016
    Posts : 42
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by jds63 View Post
    So what exactly was this new problem you found that you may think might be Windows 10 or corrupted files ?
    If those files were not all specifically for your PC under the correct model number shown on there site, it can only be what i thought before they have 2 different versions or revisions of that model. This similar to 2 different revisions of a motherboard.

    Sounds odd that they do this and make you instead use there HP Assistant or there detect system online which does not seem to even work well to begin with and not able to update drivers well until you contacted them and then them telling you this. Why bother putting driver updates online without enough detail.

    Wrong Drivers, outdated and corrupt will cause you issues as we saw. Your system specs originally showed Intel Display Adapter, but they list 2 because mattering to which is put in that model i can only assume after all this talk from them about what is right and what is wrong.

    Let me know if i can help you further with this other issue and if any issues with freezing again. You are most welcome !!
    I have been out of town the last few days. Just returned very late last night so am now reading this and replying.

    I agree that it seems odd about the posting of the different drivers on the HP website. My guess is that they may do this in order to persuade people to purchase their extended warranty services. Not nice, but companies today are not nice people. They all play dirty games.

    The other problem I expect should be posted as a new topic. It is about the cd/dvd drive. I dragged some files to the drive thinking that I would burn them to the disc but realizing the disc would be too small decided that I wanted to remove the files.

    What happened was that I was unable to remove files that I never burned to the disc. The disc was only formatted to be used, not finalized. But I was not able to remove the files. And the disc with those files always appear on my computer while there is no disc in the drive. The computer will not allow me to remove the files or clear the drive.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    28 Mar 2016 #63
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    N.Y.
    Posts : 3,069
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBear View Post
    I have been out of town the last few days. Just returned very late last night so am now reading this and replying.

    I agree that it seems odd about the posting of the different drivers on the HP website. My guess is that they may do this in order to persuade people to purchase their extended warranty services. Not nice, but companies today are not nice people. They all play dirty games.

    The other problem I expect should be posted as a new topic. It is about the cd/dvd drive. I dragged some files to the drive thinking that I would burn them to the disc but realizing the disc would be too small decided that I wanted to remove the files.

    What happened was that I was unable to remove files that I never burned to the disc. The disc was only formatted to be used, not finalized. But I was not able to remove the files. And the disc with those files always appear on my computer while there is no disc in the drive. The computer will not allow me to remove the files or clear the drive.
    It's o.k. i understand !

    They should make it more clear to the consumer for each model PC they make to be able to easily access updates and drivers on there own without the need of contacting them for this, maybe they rather you use there HP Assistant. Most PC Manufacturer's are good at this and at times you may have to question some updates by calling them. I have not owned an HP since many many years ago it was an HP printer.

    No need to start a new topic for a problem with this same PC and since it occurred with this open already.
    Not sure i am fully understanding this issue. Seems you just may have done something wrong when you tried burning these files to a disc.
    How large were these files to be too big for a Blank CD or DVD and what type of CD or DVD, R or RW ? Only finalize a disc when you do not want to write to it anymore. As you may know R are write once and RW are re-writable. If your copying and pasting then the files will still be on the PC unless you cut and paste, either way you still have a copy on the CD or DVD. Truthfully i would use an external device, USB Flash Drive or USB Hard Drive.

    Assume you were doing this through windows and not some third party software, need more info on it as i am not sure i completely understand.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    29 Mar 2016 #64
    Join Date : Mar 2016
    Posts : 42
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by jds63 View Post
    It's o.k. i understand !

    They should make it more clear to the consumer for each model PC they make to be able to easily access updates and drivers on there own without the need of contacting them for this, maybe they rather you use there HP Assistant. Most PC Manufacturer's are good at this and at times you may have to question some updates by calling them. I have not owned an HP since many many years ago it was an HP printer.

    No need to start a new topic for a problem with this same PC and since it occurred with this open already.
    Not sure i am fully understanding this issue. Seems you just may have done something wrong when you tried burning these files to a disc.
    How large were these files to be too big for a Blank CD or DVD and what type of CD or DVD, R or RW ? Only finalize a disc when you do not want to write to it anymore. As you may know R are write once and RW are re-writable. If your copying and pasting then the files will still be on the PC unless you cut and paste, either way you still have a copy on the CD or DVD. Truthfully i would use an external device, USB Flash Drive or USB Hard Drive.

    Assume you were doing this through windows and not some third party software, need more info on it as i am not sure i completely understand.
    I did a post support survey with HP and told them the same thing. Now that I understand better what they are doing and I have found English speaking support I find their support people very helpful, but once a computer is outdated and out of warranty people are on their own, and warranty's are only for a year no matter what a person pays for their computer unless they purchase additional warranty services. They have obviously done this in order to weed out a lot of phone calling.

    My very first home computer was a $3000 HP Compaq Presario. It lasted me longer than any computer since ever has. Windows was new back then. I have used many types of computers including Apples but I no longer work and technology has far escaped me. I always had HP printers up until a few years ago. I bought a Canon. Have to tell you that this Canon has been just as good if not better than the HP. Canon printers cost far less than HP's also. However, no one seems to be making a small printer. I no longer have need of the fax machine but I have been unsuccessful in finding any printer of any brand or cost that is SMALL. This bugs me. lol

    HP has done something new with their computers. They have allocated a Drive D to be used as a 'Windows Restore Disc.' I learned that all my efforts to backup Windows 10 may have been useless. HP says that although I have created a Windows 10 restore disc that if I ever had to reinstall Windows that it would reinstall the original operating system that came with the computer. I am still really confused about this because Microsoft claims that after 30 days no one can go back to their original OS because the original OS is deleted.

    HP suggested I do a backup of the OS via a different method than Microsoft says to do. HP also does not recommend doing scheduled backups of the computer data and files either because those scheduled backups often SKIP what may be important files. The backups skip when files are too large. I have noticed this very thing occurring during my backups. Therefore the best way to backup files is to turn off the automatic backup and just manually save important files to a flash drive which I already do.

    Okay, with all that said I will now go back to the question about the cd/dvd drive. Perhaps there is nothing wrong with my pc's drive at all. I placed a CD-RW in the drive and Drive E came up with the files on it. I erased the cd just fine with no problems. Now, while this cd was in the drive, Drive F was still showing on my Windows Explorer beneath Drive E.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DriveE-1.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	152.8 KB 
ID:	72117Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DriveE-2.png 
Views:	4 
Size:	154.8 KB 
ID:	72118

    I took 2 screen prints. One shows what Explorer displays while I have a disc in Drive E, and the other picture shows what Explorer displays when I remove the disc in Drive E. Take notice of Drive F which reads "CD Drive (F) ESD-ISO. When I was trying to create a Windows 10 iso file I attempted to back it up to a cd. I realized it was not going to work due to not enough storage space on the disc so I attempted to delete the files and remove the disc from the drive.

    I am a little confused about what I did now, but I am kind of remembering doing something else. In all of my surfing around at new options in Settings I kind of remember saving something to Drive F. I think that perhaps what I thought was a problem, and the reason I have not been able to delete these iso files is because I must have selected to save the iso to Drive F. I believe that I was given this choice so I tried it. The sequence of letters have changed on me several times because of options or settings I have messed with. I have confused myself. So many drives is something I am not used to having.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    29 Mar 2016 #65
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    N.Y.
    Posts : 3,069
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBear View Post
    I did a post support survey with HP and told them the same thing. Now that I understand better what they are doing and I have found English speaking support I find their support people very helpful, but once a computer is outdated and out of warranty people are on their own, and warranty's are only for a year no matter what a person pays for their computer unless they purchase additional warranty services. They have obviously done this in order to weed out a lot of phone calling.

    My very first home computer was a $3000 HP Compaq Presario. It lasted me longer than any computer since ever has. Windows was new back then. I have used many types of computers including Apples but I no longer work and technology has far escaped me. I always had HP printers up until a few years ago. I bought a Canon. Have to tell you that this Canon has been just as good if not better than the HP. Canon printers cost far less than HP's also. However, no one seems to be making a small printer. I no longer have need of the fax machine but I have been unsuccessful in finding any printer of any brand or cost that is SMALL. This bugs me. lol

    HP has done something new with their computers. They have allocated a Drive D to be used as a 'Windows Restore Disc.' I learned that all my efforts to backup Windows 10 may have been useless. HP says that although I have created a Windows 10 restore disc that if I ever had to reinstall Windows that it would reinstall the original operating system that came with the computer. I am still really confused about this because Microsoft claims that after 30 days no one can go back to their original OS because the original OS is deleted.

    HP suggested I do a backup of the OS via a different method than Microsoft says to do. HP also does not recommend doing scheduled backups of the computer data and files either because those scheduled backups often SKIP what may be important files. The backups skip when files are too large. I have noticed this very thing occurring during my backups. Therefore the best way to backup files is to turn off the automatic backup and just manually save important files to a flash drive which I already do.

    Okay, with all that said I will now go back to the question about the cd/dvd drive. Perhaps there is nothing wrong with my pc's drive at all. I placed a CD-RW in the drive and Drive E came up with the files on it. I erased the cd just fine with no problems. Now, while this cd was in the drive, Drive F was still showing on my Windows Explorer beneath Drive E.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DriveE-1.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	152.8 KB 
ID:	72117Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DriveE-2.png 
Views:	4 
Size:	154.8 KB 
ID:	72118

    I took 2 screen prints. One shows what Explorer displays while I have a disc in Drive E, and the other picture shows what Explorer displays when I remove the disc in Drive E. Take notice of Drive F which reads "CD Drive (F) ESD-ISO. When I was trying to create a Windows 10 iso file I attempted to back it up to a cd. I realized it was not going to work due to not enough storage space on the disc so I attempted to delete the files and remove the disc from the drive.

    I am a little confused about what I did now, but I am kind of remembering doing something else. In all of my surfing around at new options in Settings I kind of remember saving something to Drive F. I think that perhaps what I thought was a problem, and the reason I have not been able to delete these iso files is because I must have selected to save the iso to Drive F. I believe that I was given this choice so I tried it. The sequence of letters have changed on me several times because of options or settings I have messed with. I have confused myself. So many drives is something I am not used to having.
    I don't know about that i have dealt with companies like ASUS, Gigabyte and others by calling them after the warranty period and they have not charged me to talk to them and help me out. Yes, this is only the case if the PC needs repair with an expired warranty.

    Example of an ASUS monitor i was troubleshooting an issue with, i bought it open box and ASUS was willing to replace or repair it without a receipt, the only cost to me was shipping it to them. I know most give only a year warranty, but that should not mean they can not answer questions and help you afterwards if so bad support i say. So as said i spoke with ASUS after my last PC warranty was expired at no charge many times with questions.

    I use to like HP for printers, but ever since i bought an Epson there was no going back, Epson's colors are better on print out then HP.
    HP printers are good don't get me wrong i just prefer Epson now over the years and never had an issue with them. Cannon are also very good printers. I use to be more into printing Photos so i always bought expensive Photo Printers, but now i buy the All-in-One Printers, Scan,Copy and Print as this is all i want and need. Printer is Epson, not overly expensive, compact and prints good quality color and text.

    Sound to me like HP put a recovery partition so you are able to restore your PC to factory settings the way it was when you bought it.
    If you do a clean custom install you can wipe that partition and all partitions to all unallocated space, but then you will never be able to go back to Windows 7 or 8 whichever you had. Not sure they still use method of making recovery discs for older Operating system, if so was this ever done or did media for previous come with this PC ?

    Inplace repair upgrade should leave this intact, the recovery partition. This is up to you if you want to wipe it to gain space or save this partition even during clean custom install this can be done, but will the recovery work well i am not sure afterwards to recover, some had issues with this with Windows 10. Just take a look at yellow tips in this tutorial for examples of what i mean on keeping partitions.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...n-install.html

    It is still good to have the Windows 10 media for repairs and troubleshooting. Windows 10 has the Advanced options to recover to your existing operating system before the upgrade and again sometimes causes issues to do this. https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html

    Many here use programs like Macrium Reflect to make a system image backup in case of issues like hard drive failure or other corruption that can not be foxed unless installing the OS again. This is something that can help you if you want to use it. http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

    Important files and downloaded software should be backed up on a external device as said before, do not rely only on methods from programs to do this in case of any failure to hardware or corruption to the OS. Having the Windows media and your files backed up you are at no loss even without an system image backup it will just save you time with that system image backup not having to reinstall all your software and redo all your settings again. There are USB Hard Drives that have backup programs to constantly backup your important files as they are created. Windows even has this type of feature, find it here.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	72138
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    29 Mar 2016 #66
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    N.Y.
    Posts : 3,069
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

    I am a bit confused on this matter with the drives. Seems to me you may have mounted the ISO file and it then makes a Virtual Drive which can be used to install it. You may have never ejected it why it will show still and makes a drive letter according to the next available drive letter which became F: . You can change drive letters in Disk Management, the only one you can not is the operating system drive C: . So far this is what i make of all this you are saying, correct me if i have it wrong.

    Copying files to a disc you can use either drag and drop, copy and paste methods. I rather use an external device, flash or USB hard drive. Seems you had finally got those files on a CD-RW, but had now erased them.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    29 Mar 2016 #67
    Join Date : Mar 2016
    Aberdeen
    Posts : 216
    Windows 10

    Iobit Driver Booster has a free version which is very good. It will scan your computer, and let you install updated versions of drivers.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    29 Mar 2016 #68
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    N.Y.
    Posts : 3,069
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

    Quote Originally Posted by flybynite View Post
    Iobit Driver Booster has a free version which is very good. It will scan your computer, and let you install updated versions of drivers.
    Word of advice, do not use these types of programs, as it will do more harm then good. Always try obtaining them from the proper source.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    31 Mar 2016 #69
    Join Date : Mar 2016
    Posts : 42
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by jds63 View Post
    I don't know about that i have dealt with companies like ASUS, Gigabyte and others by calling them after the warranty period and they have not charged me to talk to them and help me out. Yes, this is only the case if the PC needs repair with an expired warranty.

    Example of an ASUS monitor i was troubleshooting an issue with, i bought it open box and ASUS was willing to replace or repair it without a receipt, the only cost to me was shipping it to them. I know most give only a year warranty, but that should not mean they can not answer questions and help you afterwards if so bad support i say. So as said i spoke with ASUS after my last PC warranty was expired at no charge many times with questions.
    I agree with you! It would be nice if more companies were helping people like that.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    31 Mar 2016 #70
    Join Date : Mar 2016
    Posts : 42
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    I use to like HP for printers, but ever since i bought an Epson there was no going back, Epson's colors are better on print out then HP. HP printers are good don't get me wrong i just prefer Epson now over the years and never had an issue with them. Cannon are also very good printers. I use to be more into printing Photos so i always bought expensive Photo Printers, but now i buy the All-in-One Printers, Scan,Copy and Print as this is all i want and need. Printer is Epson, not overly expensive, compact and prints good quality color and text.
    Scan, copy, and print is all I ever use anymore too. Does Epson make a small printer to do this? Something not so big and bulky?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
windows 10 randomly freezes
Windows 10 build 10586.14 randomly freezes and requires a power button restart. Happens once or twice per week. Never happened until I upgraded to Windows 10 when it was first available for the public.
Performance & Maintenance
Windows 10 - Freezes
Hi guys, This is my first post in the forum! My problem is that sometimes (around once or twice a day), I get my laptop stucked suddenly. The cursor does not move. The keyboard also does not work (even by trying to turn CAPS lock on and off, I...
General Support
Windows 10 freezes
Hi Everyone, A few weeks ago I recently installed Windows 10 onto my wifes Laptop. But last night during bootup of her Laptop it froze at the password screen. Clicking on the password box with the cursor had no affect, the password could not be...
General Support
upgrade build reboot at 75%; reboot loop
Hi all, installing the latest insider build it downloaded OK, was going through the upgrade, restarted a couple of times. Then it got to 75 %, restarted again. You see the small blue Windows logo on the screen, and the small spinning progress...
General Support
Windows 10, every other reboot ?
I've installed Windows 10 just fine, with the latest Nvidia Win 10 driver, however when I reboot my system nothing works, not the start menu, not the apps, they do nothing, can't shut down except for a hard shutdown, after the hard shutdown the...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:50.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums