Windows 10: system drive in optimise drivers always stays at 4%

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 639
    Windows 10 1703 Pro 64
       10 Mar 2016 #11

    siddharth2cool said: View Post
    It didn't work!! when I tried to defrag it, it defraged all the files but again when I analyse it just after the de fragmentation process then it again says fragmented 1% and when I tried to defrag individual files which were listed then after 80% it says "defrag aborted". any suggestions????
    Some files can not be defragged as they are system files. Can you take a snapshop and post a picture of file list that are fragmented?

    Jim
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    11 Mar 2016 #12

    I bet it's the Master File Table (MFT) that is fragmented. Unfortunately Windows defragmenting API doesn't allow to touch the MFT. On the other hand, it's quite normal and nothing to worry about.

    To check it. Open a cmd prompt with admin rights and type: defrag -a -v c:
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    11 Mar 2016 #13

    eLPuSHeR said: View Post
    I bet it's the Master File Table (MFT) that is fragmented. Unfortunately Windows defragmenting API doesn't allow to touch the MFT. On the other hand, it's quite normal and nothing to worry about.

    To check it. Open a cmd prompt with admin rights and type: defrag -a -v c:
    After running the command, I got this result:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016_03_11_19_36_442.png 
Views:	41 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	68884
    In there it says "it is recommended that you defragment this volume"
    Any solutions????
    Last edited by siddharth2cool; 11 Mar 2016 at 17:09.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    11 Mar 2016 #14

    Hi,

    Forget about those system volumes needing defragmentation.
    They don't. They're absolutely passive and therefore should be ignored as far as defragmentation goes.

    Cheers,
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 2,278
    Windows 10.3 Home 1703 x64 (Home per choice)
       12 Mar 2016 #15

    1. Use the cleanup software of your choice, then run this command as admin:

    cleanmgr /sageset:65535 & cleanmgr /sagerun:65535

    2. Delete system restore points (System Volume Information), either manually or use this command:

    vssadmin delete shadows /for=c: /all /quiet

    3. Run defrag software of your choice.

    4. Use UltraDefrag, it can defrag MFT, pagefile, hibernation.
    Select - Settings - Boot time scan - Enabled - then restart.
    Last edited by TairikuOkami; 12 Mar 2016 at 10:23.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    12 Mar 2016 #16

    Hi,

    The screenshot by siddharth2cool is showing the 100Mb EFI partition though. Who cares if that one's fragmented ?

    Cheers,
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    18 Mar 2016 #17

    TairikuOkami said: View Post
    1. Use the cleanup software of your choice, then run this command as admin:

    cleanmgr /sageset:65535 & cleanmgr /sagerun:65535

    2. Delete system restore points (System Volume Information), either manually or use this command:

    vssadmin delete shadows /for=c: /all /quiet

    3. Run defrag software of your choice.

    4. Use UltraDefrag, it can defrag MFT, pagefile, hibernation.
    Select - Settings - Boot time scan - Enabled - then restart.
    Still after using Ultra defrag and optimsing MFT file it shows 0.08% fragmented. any solution guys, really worried!!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    18 Mar 2016 #18

    Really just leave it alone. There is no reason for you to become so obsessed with this! Just get back to doing something productive like shooting zombies.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 2,278
    Windows 10.3 Home 1703 x64 (Home per choice)
       19 Mar 2016 #19

    siddharth2cool said: View Post
    Still after using Ultra defrag and optimsing MFT file it shows 0.08% fragmented. any solution guys, really worried!!
    Well since you are serious about it, boot Windows from USB, run CMD and optimize from there.

    Command Prompt at Boot - Open in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

    defrag /C /O

    Alternatively, you can download some linux distro, run it from USB and defrag from there.

    Luckily my defrag software is doing a great job, my HDD is nice and tidy (pagefile/hibernation disabled).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails capture_03192016_201940.jpg  
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    20 Mar 2016 #20

    logicearth said: View Post
    Really just leave it alone. There is no reason for you to become so obsessed with this! Just get back to doing something productive like shooting zombies.
    I'm obsessed because when I run the windows there is no problem but when I shut down my laptop it shows an error with a code and says memory can't be read. Unfortunately I cant provide any screenshot of the error as it goes to fast.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Related Threads
I've discovered one useful feature of Edge is the ability to cast video to my Sony TV. However, the playback is sometimes jerky. Is there a way optimising the playback settings when casting videos via Edge?
Hi There! I have two physical disks in my notebook, one simple partition each, BitLocker encrypted. Drive C:, which is my system drive and drive D:, for some media stuff. Windows Version is Windows 10.0.10586 x64 I have configured VSS to use...
Some beginner questions about 10. Did some reading on the forums, some important questions still left. (I thought I will just wait until Threshold 2 to come out to install it) 1. Comparing Home and Pro (and Education and Enterprise): all the ISOs...
hey all, I have an HP G42-154CA that I'm trying to get Windows 10 Pro installed on. http://support.hp.com/ca-en/product/HP-G42-100-Notebook-PC-series/4121912/model/4172564/document/c02105098/ I ran into an issue with the...
I have a PB (Asus) EasyNote ENTF71BM with Celeron quad core N2930 processor, Intel HD Graphics, 4GB DDR3 L memory. I am British but living in Poland with very limited command of Polish language. I bought the PB in Poland with W8 pre-installed in...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:31.
Find Us