Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    27 Feb 2016 #11
    Join Date : Feb 2016
    Posts : 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    I have almost same configuration and this is what it looks like here:
    Attachment 66658
    May be important that I'm using BIOS, not UEFI.
    OK so I do see UEFI all over the place on this mobo. could that be something I am missing? I don't even understand what that is and how it is different than BIOS.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    27 Feb 2016 #12
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 10,168
    W10 Insider + Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by PatATC View Post
    OK so I do see UEFI all over the place on this mobo. could that be something I am missing? I don't even understand what that is and how it is different than BIOS.
    UEFI /EFI, (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) is a standard firmware interface for PCs, designed to replace BIOS (basic input/output system).
    What is UEFI? - Windows Help

    In essence it's BIOS but not in ROM on the chip but on a special partition on BOOT drive. Old time BIOS (Legacy BIOS) provides just enough function to boot to that partition which takes over after that. Part of it stays in RAM so it could be modified on the fly. It also provides graphical interface for BIOS. On this MB it's pretty fundamental so I don't use it, except for looks there's not much to be gained.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  3.    27 Feb 2016 #13
    Join Date : Feb 2016
    Posts : 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    UEFI /EFI, (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) is a standard firmware interface for PCs, designed to replace BIOS (basic input/output system).
    What is UEFI? - Windows Help

    In essence it's BIOS but not in ROM on the chip but on a special partition on BOOT drive. Old time BIOS (Legacy BIOS) provides just enough function to boot to that partition which takes over after that. Part of it stays in RAM so it could be modified on the fly. It also provides graphical interface for BIOS. On this MB it's pretty fundamental so I don't use it, except for looks there's not much to be gained.
    How can I check if I'm using it? also can I switch back and forth between them to see if it makes a difference?

    ALSO UPDATE: I bought 2 more sticks of GSKILL RAM. It is now still halving the RAM, shoving 8GB into hardware reserve, effectively cutting 16GB in half. So now I'm running 4 sticks of 4GB. Now I can use 8GB....... but half is still shoved in hardware reserved. LOL WTF
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    27 Feb 2016 #14
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 10,168
    W10 Insider + Linux

    You can see UEFI partition in Disk Management.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  5.    27 Feb 2016 #15
    Join Date : Feb 2016
    Posts : 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    You can see UEFI partition in Disk Management.
    So can this be changed or no? Also do you think this could be a cause? Any other ideas?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    27 Feb 2016 #16
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 10,168
    W10 Insider + Linux

    Well, did you check if you have that EFI partition ? also disk has to be in GPT not MBR, you can see all that in Disk Management.
    In the BIOS, under Advanced Management there is a setting for EFI CD/DVD BOOT OPTION.
    Options are NON-EFI. EFI and AUTO.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  7.    27 Feb 2016 #17
    Join Date : Feb 2016
    Posts : 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Well, did you check if you have that EFI partition ? also disk has to be in GPT not MBR, you can see all that in Disk Management.
    In the BIOS, under Advanced Management there is a setting for EFI CD/DVD BOOT OPTION.
    Options are NON-EFI. EFI and AUTO.
    My drive with my OS on it is on my SSD. It is a NTFS file system. Other than that I don't see anything about EFI. Ill take a screenshot maybe you can guide me through it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails diskmanage.PNG  
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    28 Feb 2016 #18
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    England
    Posts : 944
    Windows IP 17017

    Quote Originally Posted by PatATC View Post
    My drive with my OS on it is on my SSD. It is a NTFS file system. Other than that I don't see anything about EFI. Ill take a screenshot maybe you can guide me through it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture 1.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	66766
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture 20.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	66767
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  9.    28 Feb 2016 #19
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 10,168
    W10 Insider + Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by PatATC View Post
    My drive with my OS on it is on my SSD. It is a NTFS file system. Other than that I don't see anything about EFI. Ill take a screenshot maybe you can guide me through it.
    It's Legacy BIOS than.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
No "Safely Remove Hardware Icon" after Win 10 update
I just updated my laptop from the original version of Windows 10 to Version 1211 (build 10586.11) and have a strange issue with my USB ports. The USB 3.0 port works as expected. However, I attempted to create a recovery drive on thumb drive using...
Drivers and Hardware
"A corrected hardware error has occurred" twice per minute post-11099
With every single build post-11099, I'll get constant "A corrected hardware error has occurred" warnings in Event Viewer, usually twice per minute. 66179 If I roll back to 11099, these tend to disappear. Here's the details, please note that...
Performance & Maintenance
"Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" Always Appearing
Title says it all. Even without any flash drives connected to my PC, it still displays this. Didn't happen when I was back in Windows 7.
Drivers and Hardware
Installation Fail "We couldn't update The System Reserve Partition"
This is the 2nd system (my wife's computer) we want to run Windows 10. Currently that system is running windows 7 Pro. The first system system went without a single hitch and it was running windows 7 Pro as well.. The download was complete so I...
Installation and Upgrade
never got "reserve" icon
I never got the reserve icon to reserve windows 10 pro; so where/how can i get this accomplished?
Installation and Upgrade
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:38.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums