Windows 10: Backups - these days around 5 Mins so no excuse

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    10 Feb 2016 #1

    Backups - these days around 5 Mins so no excuse


    Hi there

    I think it's worth labouring this point -- backing up your OS these days can really be done in a few minutes so there is 100% NO EXCUSE for not doing it.

    If your OS is say on an SSD a backup will take for an average system only around 5 - 10 mins (do it for example while "visiting the bog" !!). Things like Macrium reflect can be run from within the OS when making backups.

    You will save yourself SO MUCH HASSLE - when software or upgrades don't work, drivers get overwritten, your machine gets spyware / adware / virus / PUPS or other unwanted stuff.

    For a few minutes it should be second nature to backup regularly. DATA is another matter - but that can be done any time and usually doesn't change much - but ideally backup your OS every day and certainly before installing software.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	macrium.png 
Views:	7 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	63444

    New computers IMO should not allow the user to start working until they've backed up the system - even though the initial OS is probably full of Bloatware -- it gets the user into practice of doing it.



    Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    10 Feb 2016 #2

    I personally don't see the need to back up the OS since it doesn't take very long to re-install it. I do, however, backup my user files. I recently bought a nice 6TB NAS and use scheduled backups so it's no hassle to do.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    10 Feb 2016 #3

    swarfega said: View Post
    I personally don't see the need to back up the OS since it doesn't take very long to re-install it. I do, however, backup my user files. I recently bought a nice 6TB NAS and use scheduled backups so it's no hassle to do.
    Hi there

    It's not only the OS - but Updates / user programs plus any of their updates, serial numbers sometimes of programs need to be re-keyed in and you might also have problems with re-activation.

    Plus you need to install things like Email settings - and installing Office with updates takes a while, Photoshop is another long installing program.

    Just taking 5 mins to backup the whole kybosh seems to be a good investment of time - and it's certainly MUCH easier to recover your OS than go through a mega re-install hassle.

    NAS data can be backed up separately as and when required - a lot of people use the Cloud for that too - although depending on the size to back up and speed of your Internet it might not be a good solution for many.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 1,875
    Windows 3.1 to Windows 10
       10 Feb 2016 #4

    A 5 Minute Backup Routine - will save the average forum user - hours or sometimes days of grief..

    But if everybody followed a backup routine - what would we have to comment about..

    Topic = My PC pooped itself, I restored the Backup, All better now...

    Boring..
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    10 Feb 2016 #5

    jimbo45 said: View Post
    Hi there

    It's not only the OS - but Updates / user programs plus any of their updates, serial numbers sometimes of programs need to be re-keyed in and you might also have problems with re-activation.

    Plus you need to install things like Email settings - and installing Office with updates takes a while, Photoshop is another long installing program.

    Just taking 5 mins to backup the whole kybosh seems to be a good investment of time - and it's certainly MUCH easier to recover your OS than go through a mega re-install hassle.

    NAS data can be backed up separately as and when required - a lot of people use the Cloud for that too - although depending on the size to back up and speed of your Internet it might not be a good solution for many.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Well, well......this seems to be one of the few times I've agreed with you. I try to tell folks to always, always, backup their OS, C-Drive. Why folks don't even think of it, till their computer gets screwed is beyond me!!!
    Takes VERY little time, just like you said too!!!! Good Post Jimbo45!!!!!
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  6.    10 Feb 2016 #6

    Kyhi said: View Post
    A 5 Minute Backup Routine - will save the average forum user - hours or sometimes days of grief..

    But if everybody followed a backup routine - what would we have to comment about..

    Topic = My PC pooped itself, I restored the Backup, All better now...

    Boring..
    Still lots of things left....mostly how the user either hates their Windows 10, OR how they love their Windows 10, but they don't know how to do this.....or they lost this, or how do you install this, what is the best AV for my computer, etc....etc....etc....list is endless.....hehehehehe...
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7.    10 Feb 2016 #7

    jimbo45 said: View Post
    Hi there

    I think it's worth labouring this point -- backing up your OS these days can really be done in a few minutes so there is 100% NO EXCUSE for not doing it.

    If your OS is say on an SSD a backup will take for an average system only around 5 - 10 mins (do it for example while "visiting the bog" !!). Things like Macrium reflect can be run from within the OS when making backups.

    You will save yourself SO MUCH HASSLE - when software or upgrades don't work, drivers get overwritten, your machine gets spyware / adware / virus / PUPS or other unwanted stuff.

    For a few minutes it should be second nature to backup regularly. DATA is another matter - but that can be done any time and usually doesn't change much - but ideally backup your OS every day and certainly before installing software.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	macrium.png 
Views:	7 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	63444

    New computers IMO should not allow the user to start working until they've backed up the system - even though the initial OS is probably full of Bloatware -- it gets the user into practice of doing it.



    Cheers
    jimbo
    Whilst I agree entirely with the sentiments, I can assure you on a lot of PCs it can take a lot more than five minutes if doing a full system image backup. My old laptop takes up to 40 minutes and it is not even that full.

    Additionally, many people keep their data on the C drive (an activity encouraged by MS User directories) which can lead to very big image backups.

    Keeping data separate from OS and programs allows for much better backup optimisation eg. only image backup C drive on say weekly (accepting some minor rework if this is done), but backing up data as feequently as needed even every 15 minutes using File History Backup for example.

    Alternatively, one could just image backups, and image backup say weekly, and use differential/incremental images daily. In many respects, this is easier for 'beginners', but even getting them to do an full image backup is the real challenge as the problem is getting the message to 'the masses'. To a degree, on sites like this, we are preaching to the converted.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 1,253
    Windows 7 Pro x64 Windows 10 Pro x64
       10 Feb 2016 #8

    swarfega said: View Post
    I personally don't see the need to back up the OS since it doesn't take very long to re-install it. I do, however, backup my user files. I recently bought a nice 6TB NAS and use scheduled backups so it's no hassle to do.

    That`s crazy, why reinstall when an image takes 10 to 20 minutes
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    10 Feb 2016 #9

    I can usually go from nothing to a fully setup PC including software/Apps in about 3 hours and it's usually a lot less. But if someone has a lot more software I can defiantly see this as a necessity.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    10 Feb 2016 #10

    My full-images of OS and data partition using Macrium Reflect or Acronis True Image can run 45-60+ minutes and 90-120 minutes respectively. A little more than 5 minutes However, blessed are the backer-uppers for they shall be restored.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Solved BitLocker and backups in Performance & Maintenance
Being new to backing up files, can Bitlocker be enabled when doing a backup of a system or files?
Cannot Schedule Backups in Backup and Restore
Hi Forum, When I set up a daily backup, it does not occur. I can do a manual backup, and it works, but the automatic daily does not. I have daily selected, and keep forever. I have my pictures and videos set to be skipped. When I click on...
Backups in Windows 10 in Performance & Maintenance
When I try and set up the backup process in my new Windows 10 installation I get the following message at the point where it should be accepting what I just said - where the drive is located etc. . etc.. Windows says this: "..task image is...
How do I set up an external HDD to be used for system image backups? For example, specify how many images to keep, schedule the backup, etc. also, can I use the drive for anything else other than image copies?
will 8.1 backups still work in Performance & Maintenance
Good morning, I am waiting to receive my reserved copy of Windows 10. I am curious if my Acronis disk images of Win 8.1 will still work after upgrading to Win10? Thanks and regards, 2harts4ever

Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:16.
Find Us