Questions About Optimising SSD

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

  1. Posts : 70
    windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #21

    lx07 said:
    It is most likely your WinRE recovery partition. You could optimize it or not - as the contents don't change it doesn't matter either way.

    Hidden Partitions are Displayed by the Windows Disk Defragmenter Tool
    Good news, Thank you (and for link)
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 70
    windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #22

    OldMike65 said:
    Well I have to disagree with this Word Man. Windows 10 WILL start the TRIM command on the SSD if you click on the Optimize option, but it will NOT defrag a SSD drive. That Command you list "defrag /C/O" if you look at the description posted by Brink, it states this:
    /O Perform the proper optimization for each media type.

    The words "proper optimization" is important, Windows knows what type of drive is in use, and will only use the TRIM command on any SSD.
    Ok, this is interesting, it may answer my subsequent question about whether TRIM is likely to be already enabled and being done automatically...
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 1,567
    Windows 10 Pro
       #23

    ouroboros72 said:
    ...As I say, I'm not really actually looking to get into defragging as I think it may be beyong my ken with the SSD and therefore potentially risky. i will read thru the article though out of interest. Thanks.
    OK, sounds good. Just remember (yeah, I've said it before in other threads - to those who have seen it), once you use the word defrag and SSD in the same post in this forum, people's hair catches on fire. (that's a little tongue in cheek on my part).

    MS doesn't help in attenuating people's initial alarm by keeping the "defrag" terminology in the command line and in the Windows GUI interface. As far as I'm concerned, if they'd simply do away with the "d-word" and switch exclusively to using the word optimize, these discussions would become a lot less volatile.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 70
    windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #24

    Word Man said:
    Don't understand at all what you're disagreeing with, Mike.

    I never said the TRIM command WOULDN'T be run by clicking "Optimize" and I never said it WOULD defragment anything.

    I'm very well aware of what the "/C" and "/O" switches for the "defrag" command are for and that's why I recommended those specific switches for OP to see if they might optimize the hidden partition that doesn't really need optimized.

    Brink's tutorial covers both options well and clearly explains the meaning of those switches - so I don't see any mystery or basis of debate there.

    So, while I agree with the technical part of what you posted, I disagree with your disagreement of what I posted. Agreed?

    OK, so it seems optimise includes TRIM but not defrag. If so, I don't think I really need to be doing anything much.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 124,608
    Windows 11 Pro (x64) 21H2 Build 22000.739
       #25

    ouroboros72 said:
    OK, so it seems optimise includes TRIM but not defrag. If so, I don't think I really need to be doing anything much.
    Yep that IS correct ouroboros
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 1,567
    Windows 10 Pro
       #26

    ouroboros72 said:
    OK, so it seems optimise includes TRIM but not defrag. If so, I don't think I really need to be doing anything much.
    I believe you and I are on exactly the same page.:) (and everybody else)
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 124,608
    Windows 11 Pro (x64) 21H2 Build 22000.739
       #27

    Word Man said:
    I believe you and I are on exactly the same page.:) (and everybody else)
    I was gonna say I beat ya response......but nahh.....I won't. :):).....
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 1,567
    Windows 10 Pro
       #28

    OldMike65 said:
    I was gonna say I beat ya response......but nahh.....I won't. :):).....
    I was afraida that.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 124,608
    Windows 11 Pro (x64) 21H2 Build 22000.739
       #29

    Word Man said:
    I was afraida that.
    You still are one of MY Best buddies.....so their!!!
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 70
    windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #30

    Word Man said:
    OK, sounds good. Just remember (yeah, I've said it before in other threads - to those who have seen it), once you use the word defrag and SSD in the same post in this forum, people's hair catches on fire. (that's a little tongue in cheek on my part).

    MS doesn't help in attenuating people's initial alarm by keeping the "defrag" terminology in the command line and in the Windows GUI interface. As far as I'm concerned, if they'd simply do away with the "d-word" and switch exclusively to using the word optimize, these discussions would become a lot less volatile.
    Hehe, yes, the d-word definitely lights the touch paper, my mistake.

    It's great to hear I'm 555 and I don't need to do anything.

    I'm fairly confident I'm still on a different page to everyone else though!
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:04.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums