temporarily disable indexing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 355
    windows 10 pro x64 21H1
       #1

    temporarily disable indexing


    I suspect that windows indexing might be causing the short, intermittent freezes that I have been experiencing.
    I want to test it.
    I went to services and stopped windows search.
    But I see that the process SearchIndexer.exe is still running.
    What is the right way to do this?
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 5,478
    2004
       #2

    You could go to indexing options and click on pause
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 355
    windows 10 pro x64 21H1
    Thread Starter
       #3

    lx07 said:
    You could go to indexing options and click on pause
    it says "indexing complete"
    my problem is not an ongoing indexing job.
    It is rather the periodic checks that windows does, to make sure the index is up to date, it seems to do this when data changes.
    that's what I want to turn off.
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 355
    windows 10 pro x64 21H1
    Thread Starter
       #4

    okay, I disabled it from services, and restarted
    that works.
    but my computer just froze again for a couple seconds, so that isn't the problem.
    I get this thing where the active window becomes unresponsive for a couple seconds, and then goes back to normal.
    It could be MS Word, it could be Chrome, it doesn't seem to matter which program is open. It just freezes for a couple seconds.

    I have an SSD with plenty of space, 8 gb ram, skylake i-5 cpu. And I am not running heavy applications. Can't figure it out.
    I checked for malware with various scanners and it comes up clean.
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 67
    Windows 10 Pro x64 - 21H2 (OS BUILD 19044.1202)
       #5

    shmu26 said:
    okay, I disabled it from services, and restarted
    that works.
    but my computer just froze again for a couple seconds, so that isn't the problem.
    I get this thing where the active window becomes unresponsive for a couple seconds, and then goes back to normal.
    It could be MS Word, it could be Chrome, it doesn't seem to matter which program is open. It just freezes for a couple seconds.

    I have an SSD with plenty of space, 8 gb ram, skylake i-5 cpu. And I am not running heavy applications. Can't figure it out.
    I checked for malware with various scanners and it comes up clean.
    If you have an SSD i advise you to permanently disable Windows indexing.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 355
    windows 10 pro x64 21H1
    Thread Starter
       #6

    luarpc said:
    If you have an SSD i advise you to permanently disable Windows indexing.
    modern SSDs are not going to wear out from normal use. So why disable it? I like to be able to search the contents of files.
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 2,790
    Linux Mint 20.1 Win10Prox64
       #7

    shmu26 said:
    modern SSDs are not going to wear out from normal use. So why disable it? I like to be able to search the contents of files.
    True. However, Windows search is not the best thing to have and that's why there's 3rd party app that can handle search more efectively such as Everything Search Engine. I was using it until I try: Listary - Fabulous search utility | Keep files at your fingertips

    If you still want to use Windows search feature then it's fine but look under :
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\Windows.edb
    This is where the index database is located. After all the major updates, Windows search will rebuild its database and sometimes it's huge, can grow up to many GB's and hence it will take time. You might want to delete this file (Windows.edb) and let Windows rebuild it.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 355
    windows 10 pro x64 21H1
    Thread Starter
       #8

    thanks
    I will check out listary.
    topgundcp said:
    True. However, Windows search is not the best thing to have and that's why there's 3rd party app that can handle search more efectively such as Everything Search Engine. I was using it until I try: Listary - Fabulous search utility | Keep files at your fingertips

    If you still want to use Windows search feature then it's fine but look under :
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\Windows.edb
    This is where the index database is located. After all the major updates, Windows search will rebuild its database and sometimes it's huge, can grow up to many GB's and hence it will take time. You might want to delete this file (Windows.edb) and let Windows rebuild it.
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 355
    windows 10 pro x64 21H1
    Thread Starter
       #9

    topgundcp said:
    but look under :
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\Windows.edb
    This is where the index database is located. After all the major updates, Windows search will rebuild its database and sometimes it's huge, can grow up to many GB's and hence it will take time. You might want to delete this file (Windows.edb) and let Windows rebuild it.
    Is deleting this file the same as rebuilding the index?, I mean, it forces windows to rebuild the index, if indexing is turned on?
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 2,790
    Linux Mint 20.1 Win10Prox64
       #10

    shmu26 said:
    Is deleting this file the same as rebuilding the index?, I mean, it forces windows to rebuild the index, if indexing is turned on?
    Yes. You need to open services and disable Windows search first, delete the file Windows.edb then re-enable Windows Search
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:08.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums