CPU not running at full speed even at high performance power mode

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 67
    Win10 Enterprise x64 & Win 7 Home x64
       #1

    CPU not running at full speed even at high performance power mode


    I've notice that on windows 10 and 8.1, task manager would show the my max cpu core speed is 2.3-2.4 ghz. However, my Core 2 Quad q8400 is rated at 2.66 ghz. I tried changing the power settings in windows and try lowering my cpu temperature, but my speed would never reach 2.66 ghz.

    Should i be concerned about this or is it just a error on windows part? Also, i get different readings in Task Manager and CPU-z. Does anybody know a cpu benchmark that would allow me to compare my stock Q8400 to other Q8400s to see if it is on par?

    CPU not running at full speed even at high performance power mode-cpu-1.png

    CPU not running at full speed even at high performance power mode-cpu-2.png

    CPU not running at full speed even at high performance power mode-cpu-3.jpg
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 22,741
    Windows 10 Home x64
       #2

    I wouldn't worry about this one bit. The PC will use the required amount of processor power when it's required. And you don't need to run the processor at full speed all of the time.

    Jeff
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 67
    Win10 Enterprise x64 & Win 7 Home x64
    Thread Starter
       #3

    BunnyJ said:
    I wouldn't worry about this one bit. The PC will use the required amount of processor power when it's required. And you don't need to run the processor at full speed all of the time.

    Jeff
    thank but shouldn't my cpu be running at full speed especially for very demanding games? As you can see form the screenshots, my cpu doesn't go full speed when playing Witcher 3.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 22,741
    Windows 10 Home x64
       #4

    imeem said:
    thank but shouldn't my cpu be running at full speed especially for very demanding games? As you can see form the screenshots, my cpu doesn't go full speed when playing Witcher 3.
    Not really,, the PC is going to use the amount of speed that it needs at that moment.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 430
    Win 10
       #5

    get real temp GT run XS bench test (tab at bottom) what speed does it report your cpu getting to?

    Real Temp - CPU temperature monitoring
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 430
    Win 10
       #6

    CPU not running at full speed even at high performance power mode-untitled.jpg

    Screenie your report heres mine as an example ^^
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 67
    Win10 Enterprise x64 & Win 7 Home x64
    Thread Starter
       #7

    Archie123 said:
    get real temp GT run XS bench test (tab at bottom) what speed does it report your cpu getting to?

    Real Temp - CPU temperature monitoring
    Archie123 said:
    CPU not running at full speed even at high performance power mode-untitled.jpg

    Screenie your report heres mine as an example ^^
    I get 2.66 ghz from both version of RealTemp. Does this mean that my task manager is not accurate in terms of the cpu ghz? Maybe it has to do with my outdated bios and how it wasn't intended for Windows 8+?
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 430
    Win 10
       #8

    If realtemp is saying your cpu is running at 2.66 then its fine , most likely your gpu isnt "man" enough to max out your cpu :) or your games are more gpu intensive
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 1
    Windows
       #9

    I know this is an old thread but I need help because I have the same issue my laptop is supposed to be running a 2.6 gigahertz and it's only running at 1.29 I even did the real bench test and it said the same what do I do?
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 24,545
    10 Home x64 (21H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #10

    dclevy1 said:
    ...my laptop is supposed to be running a 2.6 gigahertz and it's only running at 1.29...
    Welcome to TenForums @dclevy1

    I get that occasionally. My 2.10 Ghz laptop gets stuck at 0.80 GHz. Is yours a Toshiba? Over the years I've seen this reported most often for that brand. I've never got to the bottom of why it does this, something in the power management seems to have lost track of what power state it's in.

    The first time it starts going slow unplugging the power cord can reset things and it runs normally again - even after plugging the power back in. However, if it goes slow a second or third time this trick no longer works.

    A Restart always puts everything back to normal, but a shutdown may not. That's because Shutdown can use fast start up which can preserve the settings that make it slow. A Restart does a full start up from cold.
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:48.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums