Windows 10: Disk Cleanup Issues

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

  1. Posts : 16,125
    Windows 10 Professional x64
       05 Jan 2016 #41

    cleanmgr /sagerun:id works fine in CMD
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 5,081
    windows 10 Home threshold2
       05 Jan 2016 #42

    Stephanie said: View Post
    cleanmgr /sagerun:id works fine in CMD
    Have you tried it to the Temp files we were talking about ?
    Please show screenshots Before and After.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 5,081
    windows 10 Home threshold2
       05 Jan 2016 #43

    Running cleanmgr /sagerun:id...................

    Before :

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Temp file BEFORE.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	57157

    After :

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Temp files AFTER.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	57156
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails temp files - delete BEFORE.jpg  
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    05 Jan 2016 #44

    davidhk said: View Post
    Running cleanmgr /sagerun:id...................
    I just checked with ProcMon. When you run the cleanup of temporary files (from the new Settings > Storage) it invokes cleanmgr by running the \Microsoft\Windows\DiskCleanup\SilentCleanup task in task scheduler.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cleanmgr.PNG 
Views:	0 
Size:	967.1 KB 
ID:	57166

    As they both use the same program to clean up the results are the same.

    What I can't figure out is what your 176MB is (118MB in my case) but I don't trust any of those numbers in the storage app anyway as it says I've used 49GB out of 57GB on my 32GB disk.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Storage.PNG 
Views:	0 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	57165
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    05 Jan 2016 #45

    davidhk said: View Post
    Running cleanmgr /sagerun:id...................

    Before :

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Temp file BEFORE.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	57157

    After :

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Temp files AFTER.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	57156
    What I am finding out David, that Windows is giving us the wrong information on the temporary files size. Windows is reading the size of the temporary file Cache and not what is actually IN the temporary cache. Case in point, if it reads say 250MB and then you change it to say 200MB, then go back to that screen you just displayed, it will now show 200MB. This IS a Windows problem. Its not reporting the right information correctly.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  6.    05 Jan 2016 #46

    OldMike65 said: View Post
    What I am finding out David, that Windows is giving us the wrong information on the temporary files size. Windows is reading the size of the temporary file Cache and not what is actually IN the temporary cache. Case in point, if it reads say 250MB and then you change it to say 200MB, then go back to that screen you just displayed, it will now show 200MB. This IS a Windows problem. Its not reporting the right information correctly.
    I think you are right - but I don't trust any of the numbers really.

    I remember some thread here where someone was complaining about disk cleanup not deleting cache files (because they were immediately recreated after). I can't remember the details though. I'll see if I can find it as (as this is a front end for cleanmgr) it could be the same issue.

    It is sort of bugging me now, ...
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    05 Jan 2016 #47

    Hi,

    What I can't figure out is what your 176MB is (118MB in my case) but I don't trust any of those numbers in the storage app anyway as it says I've used 49GB out of 57GB on my 32GB disk.
    Similar story here, it just doesn't make any sense:

    Go figure..........


    Cheers,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Storage.png   Actual Storage.png  
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  •    05 Jan 2016 #48

    lx07 said: View Post
    I think you are right - but I don't trust any of the numbers really.

    I remember some thread here where someone was complaining about disk cleanup not deleting cache files (because they were immediately recreated after). I can't remember the details though. I'll see if I can find it as (as this is a front end for cleanmgr) it could be the same issue.

    It is sort of bugging me now, sorry to be slow to get into it...
    Yes I understand what your saying lx07, no matter how its reporting temp folder sizes, it IS reporting the in-correct size. One user went to the cache folder, and it was empty, but windows reported it had like 236MB in the folder. This is just another bug in our Windows 10, that's all.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  •    05 Jan 2016 #49

    OldMike65 said: View Post
    Yes I understand what your saying lx07, no matter how its reporting temp folder sizes, it IS reporting the in-correct size. One user went to the cache folder, and it was empty, but windows reported it had like 236MB in the folder. This is just another bug in our Windows 10, that's all.
    I think what we're missing here is the definition of what it means by "Temporary files" - don't think it refers to Temporary Internet Files (or browser cache or whatever, alone) - I haven't yet found the definition of exactly what "Temporary files" is in this context - could be a bug or could just be my ignorance at this point.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  •    05 Jan 2016 #50

    Hi,

    @Wordman: If it isn't meaning that then why does it open the IE caching folder when clicking "View files" ?

    Cheers,
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  •  
    Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

    Related Threads
    Performance & Maintenance Open and Use Disk Cleanup in Windows 10 in Tutorials
    You can use Disk Cleanup on a regular basis to reduce the number of unnecessary files on your drives, which can free up drive space and help your PC run better. It can delete temporary files and system files, empty the Recycle Bin, and remove a...
    disk cleanup GO AWAY in Performance & Maintenance
    does anyone get the disk cleanup tool pop up on its own once a day around a certain time? it does for me and i cant work out why http://i.gyazo.com/cefffc071eb1cc6a9416fe5d10e4fdcc.png
    So after upgrading to windows 10 i decided to clean up some win 7 system files. BIGGEST MISTAKE!Those files include windows 7 service pack 1 which is need for the AMD card to work. Anything that is set for the AMD driver to use either crashes or...
    Disk cleanup not starting in Performance & Maintenance
    Hello all I have windows 10 pro x64 and whenever I try to run disk cleanup, it asks me which drive to clean, then no matter what drive i select after I press ok, it doesn't start up. Any idea why this is happening? I tried restarting. Thanks. ...
    Options missing from Disk Cleanup in Performance & Maintenance
    When I run disk cleanup I only get these 3. 37702 I should have all these I think. Any ideas why not? They are still missing if I click on "Clean up system files" also. 37701 As a guess I copied...
    Our Sites
    Site Links
    About Us
    Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

    Designer Media Ltd
    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:10.
    Find Us