Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    23 Dec 2015 #1
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 56
    Windows 7

    Tax Return Files Gone ???


    I updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and later noticed my Tax Return File (from 2014)
    has disappeared.

    It was under the Documents Folder, which is now empty.

    If the update is going to clean out some Directories while processing, I wish they would say so
    up front so I could have saved them to an external drive.

    Maybe they are hidden somewhere, the update moved them ??

    Any hope finding them ??

    Thanks and Happy Holidays to all.

    Richard S.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    23 Dec 2015 #2
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    UK, Midlands
    Posts : 11,115
    Win 10 Pro (1703)

    Hi, this is one of the unfortunate problems some experience with MS's well tested build 1511 ('the November upgrade') release- disappearing files. Usually the desktop - well, people would notice that.

    If you upgraded <30 days ago you will have a Windows.old folder (your old Win 7 installation). If you're lucky, they will be there. However, usually people find they are not.

    You can try data recovery software such as Recuva, but this relies on the files not having been overwritten.

    The lesson: always back up; create and keep updated disk images (Aomei Backupper or Macrium Reflect - both free- the boot medium, and external storage for the backups. Disk images are both full backups and allow you to restore your PC as it was in the event of disaster including HDD failure.
    Last edited by dalchina; 23 Dec 2015 at 13:53.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    23 Dec 2015 #3
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 770
    Windows 7

    Always have a backup of important files, 2 or more backup copies if the files are of particular importance. This is particularly important before doing something like an OS upgrade. There are too many ways that mistakes can be made, too many ways to misunderstand what will happen, and too may ways something can go wrong to be without a backup.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    23 Dec 2015 #4
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 56
    Windows 7
    Thread Starter

    Let me thank you for that most helpful reply. I am glad to see such a level of expertise on this group.

    rs

    Quote Originally Posted by dalchina View Post
    Hi, this is one of the unfortunate problems some experience with MS's well tested build 1511 ('the November upgrade') release- disappearing files. Usually the desktop - well, people would notice that.

    If you upgraded <30 days ago you will have a Windows.old folder (your old Win 7 installation). If you're lucky, they will be there. However, usually people find they are not.

    You can try data recovery software such as Recuva, but this relies on the files not having been overwritten.

    The lesson: always back up; create and keep updated disk images (Aomei Backupper or Macrium Reflect - both free- the boot medium, and external storage for the backups. Disk images are both full backups and allow you to restore your PC as it was in the event of disaster including HDD failure.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    23 Dec 2015 #5
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    UK, Midlands
    Posts : 11,115
    Win 10 Pro (1703)

    Thanks- everyone loses something sometime- all you can do is act defensively. There are plenty of people here more experienced than I.

    It's been said vellum is the best long term storage medium. Nothing around today is guaranteed to remain readable so long. Now, where do I get a vellum-based backup system.... write speed could be rather slow, and storage density minimal- as for access time...
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    30 Dec 2015 #6
    Join Date : May 2015
    Posts : 20
    win 7

    I cannot tell from your reply if you found your file or if your comment was made in frustration of not finding it. If the former, great. If the latter, additional options are as follows:

    1. Have you tried searching your entire drive for " *.tax2014 "?
    [Be sure your search is looking at the entire drive(s), not just a folder or location.]

    2. It's possible that if/when you load TurboTax 2015 its own search engine may find it as it automatically looks for prior year returns.

    BOTH SUGGESTIONS ASSUME YOU USED TURBOTAX .
    Last edited by poolmon; 30 Dec 2015 at 15:49.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    30 Dec 2015 #7
    Join Date : Sep 2015
    Posts : 274
    Windows 10 Home

    One guy on here had the same problem. He somehow discovered that the files were "hidden" (I took it as in system files) and not deleted. I wish I could be of more help but I can't remember exactly he found them. I believe it was through search. Maybe someone with more experience can help.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    30 Dec 2015 #8
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    UK, Midlands
    Posts : 11,115
    Win 10 Pro (1703)

    I've read elsewhere recently about this problem arising from a 'temporary profile' being used in the process of the transfer - I've added this below.

    Other comment says a temporary profile is just that- it's deleted on restart - C:\users\TEMP


    =====================
    XweAponX:

    "I agree, see if there is a Windows.old folder. But you are probably not logged in to the same user profile you were in when you saved the files. Check other accounts on the laptop.

    Also, check if you are logged in to a "Temporary Profile" - It's an issue that goes back to Vista. For some reason your user profile gets corrupted, forcing Windows to load a Temporary Profile. When it does this, you won't have access to your desktop items. They will be in your regular account folder. Look in "users" for a "Temp" profile, that will be the one you are actually logged in to.

    There are ways to fix it, but you have to edit some registry keys, and finally you have to activate your Administrator account and then create a new user. Then log into administrator in Safe Mode. In Safe Mode, you can move all files in your user account to the new account. Except for all files that say "NTUSER". Then you reboot, and log into the new account and all of your stuff will be there.

    Note: You have to move all folders in Users/Username to the new account including appdata, so you have to change your folder view options so that you can see all files and folders, hidden files, system files, etc.

    If this is indeed what happened (Temp Profile) search the tutorials section for "Temporary Profile" and find the tutorial that shows how to fix it. If there is no tutorial here, you will have to check "eightforums.com"

    Here's the tutorial, it's the same process in Windows 7,8,10
    You've been signed in with a temporary profile - Fix
    "


      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    30 Dec 2015 #9
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 56
    Windows 7
    Thread Starter

    Don't use Turbo-Tax.

    rs

    Quote Originally Posted by poolmon View Post
    I cannot tell from your reply if you found your file or if your comment was made in frustration of not finding it. If the former, great. If the latter, additional options are as follows:

    1. Have you tried searching your entire drive for " *.tax2014 "?
    [Be sure your search is looking at the entire drive(s), not just a folder or location.]

    2. It's possible that if/when you load TurboTax 2015 its own search engine may find it as it automatically looks for prior year returns.

    BOTH SUGGESTIONS ASSUME YOU USED TURBOTAX .
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    30 Dec 2015 #10
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 56
    Windows 7
    Thread Starter

    I have given up, it's easier just to recreate the data from the hard copy I saved.
    Paper still rocks !!!

    rs

    Quote Originally Posted by dalchina View Post
    I've read elsewhere recently about this problem arising from a 'temporary profile' being used in the process of the transfer - I've added this below.

    Other comment says a temporary profile is just that- it's deleted on restart - C:\users\TEMP


    =====================
    XweAponX:

    "I agree, see if there is a Windows.old folder. But you are probably not logged in to the same user profile you were in when you saved the files. Check other accounts on the laptop.

    Also, check if you are logged in to a "Temporary Profile" - It's an issue that goes back to Vista. For some reason your user profile gets corrupted, forcing Windows to load a Temporary Profile. When it does this, you won't have access to your desktop items. They will be in your regular account folder. Look in "users" for a "Temp" profile, that will be the one you are actually logged in to.

    There are ways to fix it, but you have to edit some registry keys, and finally you have to activate your Administrator account and then create a new user. Then log into administrator in Safe Mode. In Safe Mode, you can move all files in your user account to the new account. Except for all files that say "NTUSER". Then you reboot, and log into the new account and all of your stuff will be there.

    Note: You have to move all folders in Users/Username to the new account including appdata, so you have to change your folder view options so that you can see all files and folders, hidden files, system files, etc.

    If this is indeed what happened (Temp Profile) search the tutorials section for "Temporary Profile" and find the tutorial that shows how to fix it. If there is no tutorial here, you will have to check "eightforums.com"

    Here's the tutorial, it's the same process in Windows 7,8,10
    You've been signed in with a temporary profile - Fix
    "


      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved I want to return to 8.1 - but Windows 10 won't let me - HP Stream 7
I have installed Windows 10 on my HP Stream 7 a few times now (and reverted to 8.1 a few times too!) but when HP recently released some Windows 10-specific drivers for the Stream 7, I decided to give it another go. However, I am not happy with...
Installation and Upgrade
Return from W10 to W7
Is there anyway I can replace W10 with W7.This small notebook I purchased came with W8 installed and I then took the free upgrade to W10 but however hard I try W10 is not for me.
Installation and Upgrade
Solved How do I return to Windows 7
Hello Windows 10 experts, Windows 10 has been a frustrating problem and huge annoyance for me! I won't go into all of the crashes and problems. There is nothing in this operating system that I find of value! :mad: I would rather return to...
Installation and Upgrade
Return to W8.1
I tried 10074 and 10122 so the question is can I return to 8.1 Thanks
General Support
The return of sound issues...
Hi As I've discussed before, when I updated to Windows 8.1 I had sound issues that I couldn't fix. Well today I decided to add Windows 8.1 Media Center to Widows 10. There's a place to do it in Control Panel. Well, the Windows 8.1 sound...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:53.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums