Windows 10 taking too long to boot


  1. Posts : 4
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
       #1

    Windows 10 taking too long to boot


    I know there are several threads by this name, but my problem, as far as I know, is quite peculiar and I haven't seen anything similar to this in any thread. Yesterday I did a clean install (actually I wiped the whole hard drive and converted it to MBR since it was in GPT and Windows wasn't letting me install it on GPT filesystem) of Windows 10, and installed all the necessary drivers and the basic essentials. I don't know exactly when but after I was done doing some housekeeping, my Windows started taking too long to boot. What happens is that it shows the Windows loading screen (like in the image attached), does the boot animation for about 5-10 seconds, then blinks the screen momentarily, and then shows the Boot animation screen again. But this time, the loading circle animation is really choppy and the pixels seem to be slightly blown out. Then it takes a good 1-2 mins at that screen and then shows the blue screen with loading animation, shows it for another 15-20 seconds and then shows the Login screen. This is getting really annoying. Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks. :)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Windows 10 taking too long to boot-post-47883-0-20922700-1351698105.png  
    Last edited by sbstratos79; 22 Dec 2015 at 00:38.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 3,264
    Windows 11 Pro 64 bit Version 21H2
       #2

    When you say would not let you use GPT then meaning you either might not have a UEFI BIOS or did not select it when you booted from the disc or USB when you did the install. What i am trying to figure was it installed using UEFI and GPT from Windows 7 or 8.1 whatever OS you had before upgrade originally and before the clean install with Windows 10, what it seems you are saying ?

    List the Lenovo Model. See you have 2 cards listed, both different brands, which one is it ?
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 4
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       #3

    When I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to 10, I had UEFI BIOS setting enabled. And yes you are correct, I switched to Legacy for my most recent Windows installation because my USB wasn't being detected in UEFI mode. I have Lenovo Z50-70. And it has Intel as well as NVIDIA graphics card. Here's the specs: http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Z50-70-.../dp/B00O4RSPJI
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 3,264
    Windows 11 Pro 64 bit Version 21H2
       #4

    sbstratos79 said:
    When I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to 10, I had UEFI BIOS setting enabled. And yes you are correct, I switched to Legacy for my most recent Windows installation because my USB wasn't being detected in UEFI mode. I have Lenovo Z50-70. And it has Intel as well as NVIDIA graphics card. Here's the specs: http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Z50-70-.../dp/B00O4RSPJI
    So you are now saying you had trouble with certain devices like USB being detected when you were using UEFI ? I looked at this Lenovo Z50-70. I would think when you bought this laptop it was using installed with Windows 8.1 64bit using UEFI, correct ? Now with upgrade to Windows 10 you had issues with this mode because of devices not being recognized, sorry if i am repeating myself, just making sure i understand everything you are telling me. If it originally was in this mode and probably should be, not sure why certain devices would not work in Win 10 then, again if i am correct here.

    Looks like a BIOS update from Sept. 2015. How long after upgrade did this issue start to happen ? Maybe slow boot is due to some settings changed in the BIOS, did you do any except Legacy before the change or after ? When you upgraded did you update important system drivers from Lenovo ?

    http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/prod...Lenovo-Z50-70?
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 4
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       #5

    I am sorry for providing incomplete information. Actually when my pc was on, it did recognize all my USB devices. But when I tried booting from the Live USB that I had created for Windows 10, it didn't show up in devices in BIOS menu. That's why I switched to legacy mode.

    Yes, it came with UEFI as the default setting.

    I installed Windows the day before yesterday and it started malfunctioning the same day; probably after I was done installing drivers etc.; maybe it was going to malfunction anyway, and I just didn't check it before that, so installing the drivers may have nothing to do with my problem.

    I set the Legcay mode before installing Windows since it wasn't recognizing my bootable USB in BIOS.

    Yes, I installed all the important drivers that were available for my laptop.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 3,264
    Windows 11 Pro 64 bit Version 21H2
       #6

    What i originally thought, when booting from USB device with Windows 10 ISO you saw no choices for and with UEFI ( example UEFI USB D: Drive Letter). Sure made everything correct when making USB Flash drive bootable and it was set to UEFI mode ?
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 3,264
    Windows 11 Pro 64 bit Version 21H2
       #7

    Windows 10 taking too long to boot-untitled.jpgSomething i pulled from your manual
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 3,264
    Windows 11 Pro 64 bit Version 21H2
       #8

    Can use Legacy (MBR) sure without issues, but cause of booting maybe due to drivers or settings in BIOS, not sure yet.

    Question, what was the reasons originally to do a clean install ?
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 4
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       #9

    jds63 said:
    Can use Legacy (MBR) sure without issues, but cause of booting maybe due to drivers or settings in BIOS, not sure yet.

    Question, what was the reasons originally to do a clean install ?
    I had to do a clean install due to several reasons. One reason was that I couldn't install the latest cumulative updates on my pc (which apparently has been reported by many people), and since I couldn't opt out of update program, it'd just keep trying to install the updates from time to time and waste a lot of my time. Another reason was that my PC used to take a lot of time to boot and it was running really slow. I had no viruses or any such issues, and after scouring the internet, the best possible explanation for all my problems that I could find was that updating Windows always causes some problems. Everybody was recommending a clean install, so yeah, that's why I did a clean install. I hope I was able to make myself clear. And thanks a lot for taking your time and trying to help me out. :) I really appreciate it.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 3,264
    Windows 11 Pro 64 bit Version 21H2
       #10

    sbstratos79 said:
    I had to do a clean install due to several reasons. One reason was that I couldn't install the latest cumulative updates on my pc (which apparently has been reported by many people), and since I couldn't opt out of update program, it'd just keep trying to install the updates from time to time and waste a lot of my time. Another reason was that my PC used to take a lot of time to boot and it was running really slow. I had no viruses or any such issues, and after scouring the internet, the best possible explanation for all my problems that I could find was that updating Windows always causes some problems. Everybody was recommending a clean install, so yeah, that's why I did a clean install. I hope I was able to make myself clear. And thanks a lot for taking your time and trying to help me out. :) I really appreciate it.
    Your Welcome ! Seems like in same boat again as before clean install, slow boot. Able to update from windows now ? Besides not using UEFI, maybe some of your issues can be related to system drivers. Usually do not suggest this because sometimes not needed, did ever update the BIOS or are you using the current most recent BIOS i saw Sept. 2015 ? UEFI is the type of BIOS you have, MBR style is the older type while GPT is newer. Not saying this is the cause of your windows update issues or slow system and boot, but was that way when bought.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:16.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums