Windows 10: How to make a system recovery disk on a SD-card

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

  1. Posts : 3,085
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       04 Dec 2015 #11

    Get these so cheap, even less then this if you look, good to have with a tablet, then get a small USB hub cheap one will do.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/27420736?w...037872&veh=sem
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    04 Dec 2015 #12

    jds63 said: View Post
    Not going to be able to boot from a SD card, why i suggest a USB Flash Drive. Certainly can not boot from a factory recovery partition on a separate device it was copied to.
    Need to make discs from it be your best bet, get yourself an otg cable. Do not know how to extract that factory recovery partition, some software can do it or i believe diskpart maybe.
    Would it be possible to make a recovery disk of a SD card, and if needed copy it to an USB? Or does the recovery disk have to be made on the media it is going to be used from?
    I don't mind not getting a factory reset, Windows can make its own recovery disks, correct?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 3,085
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       04 Dec 2015 #13

    1993matias said: View Post
    Would it be possible to make a recovery disk of a SD card, and if needed copy it to an USB? Or does the recovery disk have to be made on the media it is going to be used from?
    I don't mind not getting a factory reset, Windows can make its own recovery disks, correct?
    Going to have to boot from it, never seen option to boot from an SD card yet in a BIOS. Think you trying to say copy contents to a SD then transfer to a USB ? Chances after Windows 10 upgrade you might not be able to access this factory partition to even make recovery discs unless went back to original OS, some systems have an app to make the discs do you still see it on this tablet ?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    04 Dec 2015 #14

    jds63 said: View Post
    Going to have to boot from it, never seen option to boot from an SD card yet in a BIOS. Think you trying to say copy contents to a SD then transfer to a USB ?
    Yes, that was my idea. Is it possible? Or too convoluted?

    jds63 said: View Post
    Chances after Windows 10 upgrade you might not be able to access this factory partition to even make recovery discs unless went back to original OS, some systems have an app to make the discs do you still see it on this tablet ?
    I removed most Lenovo apps after upgrading due to lack of space. Doesn't Windows have a native way to make recovery disks?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 3,085
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       04 Dec 2015 #15

    Using tablet now, if so open up Disk Management and under that drive do you see this factory partition listed under C:
    Right click the start menu and select it there,Disk Management
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 3,085
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       04 Dec 2015 #16

    1993matias said: View Post
    Yes, that was my idea. Is it possible? Or too convoluted?
    Do not feel it is possible to boot from it.
    I removed most Lenovo apps after upgrading due to lack of space. Doesn't Windows have a native way to make recovery disks?
    If still did not use Disk Cleanup, and did not do a reset your old OS is still there, but if it's been 30 days since, bound to Win 10 unless made a system image or had install media and if partition will work.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 3,085
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       04 Dec 2015 #17

    All things to think of before you went ahead an upgraded, needed to be backed up, those discs should of been made on day 1 of buying the tablet.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  •    04 Dec 2015 #18

    My harddisk (disc 0) is 29 GB, partitioned in four:
    260 MB to EFI system partition
    21.52 GB to drive C:
    450 MB to recovery partition
    6.78 GB to recovery partition

    All except C: show 0% usage (100% free space), including the recovery partitions. No partition has any name.

    jds63 said: View Post
    If still did not use Disk Cleanup, and did not do a reset your old OS is still there, but if it's been 30 days since, bound to Win 10 unless made a system image or had install media and if partition will work.
    I understand. My intention would be to reset to Windows 10 if things went wrong, not to reset to factory standards.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  •    04 Dec 2015 #19

    Hi,

    All except C: show 0% usage (100% free space)
    Or so it seems from Disk Management but they're not empty.
    If the OEM partition contains the W8.1 factory recovery and the restore utilities have been uninstalled then it is rendered useless anyhow.


    Cheers,
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  • Posts : 3,085
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       04 Dec 2015 #20

    fdegrove said: View Post
    Hi,



    Or so it seems from Disk Management but they're not empty.
    If the OEM partition contains the W8.1 factory recovery and the restore utilities have been uninstalled then it is rendered useless anyhow.


    Cheers,
    What i had mentioned to, is utility there still to even do this.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  •  
    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

    Related Threads
    Cannot Create Recovery Disk - USB in Performance & Maintenance
    I have just bought a new Inspiron 15 5000 Dell with Windows 10 and cannot create a recovery drive. Do you know how I can fix this?
    Recovery Disk not working in Performance & Maintenance
    When I tried to make a recovery disk I get a message saying that there are files missing. How do I fix this
    Windows 10 recovery disk in DVD? in Installation and Upgrade
    Is it possible to take Windows 10 recovery disk in a DVD? I know that recovery image can be created in a USB flash drive. Same possible with DVD? Thanks
    Hey you guys! I am sorry if this doesnt fit in here or if it has been asked already. If this is the case, please can you link me the correct thread? My problem is, that I cant make the card games that ran perfectly under Windows 7 (FreeCell,...
    Windows 10 only makes USB recovery drives. How do I make a DVD repair or recovery drive?
    Our Sites
    Site Links
    About Us
    Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

    Designer Media Ltd
    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:12.
    Find Us