Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    07 Oct 2015 #11
    Join Date : Dec 2014
    Posts : 437
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    No matter whether using 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows there will always be a portion of the physical RAM assigned by the BIOS to the onboard/built-in video adapter. Notebooks seem to be hit a bit harder than Desktops due to their limit of slots for memory modules, usually only 2 where Desktops may have 2 or 4, have seen 6 and 8 slots on high end motherboards. If having 4GB on a motherboard with the 32-bit version of Windows it may normally see about 3.5GB, maybe a bit less, it's a limit of 32-bit.
    That is not the case. Unless the video card has no dedicated VRAM (and hence uses RAM), it does not occupy any physical RAM, but virtual address space in the lower 4GB of virtual address space - the address range is invariant for historical and compatibility reasons. This is virtual address space RAM cannot use. In 32 bit windows, there is nothing you can do about it and the RAM in that address range cannot be used. In 64 bit windows, the RAM in this range can be remapped to a higher virtual addresses enabling the full amount of RAM to be used.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	i-42HPvfn.png 
Views:	3 
Size:	133.4 KB 
ID:	41627
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    07 Oct 2015 #12
    Join Date : Dec 2014
    Posts : 437
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    It is probably the case that your on-board video does not have dedicated VRAM so uses system RAM. There may be an option in your BIOS to setup how much memory it will use.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    08 Oct 2015 #13
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 10,607
    W10 Insider + Linux

    AMD's APU processors have GPU on die in the processor chip (some Intel processors too) so some of the RAM has to be dedicated for it. For any decent resolution 512 MB is absolute minimum. No VRAM can be used in such configurations.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  4.    08 Oct 2015 #14
    Join Date : Apr 2014
    Posts : 3,361
    W10 Pro x64/W7 Ultimate x64 dual boot main - W10 Pro Insider Preview/W7 Pro x64 - remote pc

    Actually if you have dedicated vram most are looking to see increased not decreased to boost performance especially for gaming purposes. If there's a bios option often that can be set to use 0mb to free up all ram but used with a bit of caution to prevent display issues that can come out of it. One guide showing how to increase the memory allotted could be reversed to decrease while not advised. How to Increase Dedicated Video Memory (6 Steps) | eHow
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    08 Oct 2015 #15
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 10,607
    W10 Insider + Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by Night Hawk View Post
    Actually if you have dedicated vram most are looking to see increased not decreased to boost performance especially for gaming purposes. If there's a bios option often that can be set to use 0mb to free up all ram but used with a bit of caution to prevent display issues that can come out of it. One guide showing how to increase the memory allotted could be reversed to decrease while not advised. How to Increase Dedicated Video Memory (6 Steps) | eHow
    As I said, APU does not support VRAM, just uses whatever RAM is available.
    On most desktop computers another, discrete GPU could be added and on processor graphic disabled releasing that part of RAM to the system. Discrete GPUs have own on-board VRAM.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  6.    08 Oct 2015 #16
    Join Date : Apr 2014
    Posts : 3,361
    W10 Pro x64/W7 Ultimate x64 dual boot main - W10 Pro Insider Preview/W7 Pro x64 - remote pc

    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    As I said, APU does not support VRAM, just uses whatever RAM is available.
    On most desktop computers another, discrete GPU could be added and on processor graphic disabled releasing that part of RAM to the system. Discrete GPUs have own on-board VRAM.
    I don't think so with the onboard Intel 3000 HD graphics over seeing an expansion card added in which by most would be the preferred option. But that is something you would need to take up with the OP as far as maybe not wanting to spend additional money on the premade system since he may not even game, run high graphics apps, or run demanding media where a separate card would be required.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    08 Oct 2015 #17
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 10,607
    W10 Insider + Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by Night Hawk View Post
    I don't think so with the onboard Intel 3000 HD graphics over seeing an expansion card added in which by most would be the preferred option. But that is something you would need to take up with the OP as far as maybe not wanting to spend additional money on the premade system since he may not even game, run high graphics apps, or run demanding media where a separate card would be required.
    It was because of your link that shows how to install discrete GPU with more VRAM. For OP is much easier and cheaper to ad more RAM if possible or necessary . In this case as that APU can use up to 2133 MHz ram, it would also increase video performance.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  8.    08 Oct 2015 #18
    Join Date : Apr 2014
    Posts : 3,361
    W10 Pro x64/W7 Ultimate x64 dual boot main - W10 Pro Insider Preview/W7 Pro x64 - remote pc

    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    It was because of your link that shows how to install discrete GPU with more VRAM. For OP is much easier and cheaper to ad more RAM if possible or necessary . In this case as that APU can use up to 2133 MHz ram, it would also increase video performance.
    The idea of add a separate card in does more then simply free up what memory will become available for other things but take a load off of the cpu. Video cards these days employ their own GPU type processors as well as provide for the improved graphics. It never hurts to add more memory as needed however while still having 16gb here turned out to be a little bit of overkill since 8gb can easily handle the VM and other projects here.

    The benefits however come from having a separate card in use depending on how the system is used. You don't need much of anything for checking the mail and web browsing. The OP apparently is not into custom building and simply went premade which otherwise seems to be working. Additional memory added in would have to be ordered from the OEM or made sure to be identical in brand as well as type in order to avoid seeing the machine become inactivated while adding a separate card and disabling the onboard chip would automatically solve the shared memory problem.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    08 Oct 2015 #19
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 10,607
    W10 Insider + Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by Night Hawk View Post
    The idea of add a separate card in does more then simply free up what memory will become available for other things but take a load off of the cpu. Video cards these days employ their own GPU type processors as well as provide for the improved graphics. It never hurts to add more memory as needed however while still having 16gb here turned out to be a little bit of overkill since 8gb can easily handle the VM and other projects here.

    The benefits however come from having a separate card in use depending on how the system is used. You don't need much of anything for checking the mail and web browsing. The OP apparently is not into custom building and simply went premade which otherwise seems to be working. Additional memory added in would have to be ordered from the OEM or made sure to be identical in brand as well as type in order to avoid seeing the machine become inactivated while adding a separate card and disabling the onboard chip would automatically solve the shared memory problem.
    You're right there of course but I think that OP was just interested as to why such discrepancy in physical and reported memory. That much of difference can't influence performance very much.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  10.    08 Oct 2015 #20
    Join Date : Jun 2014
    United States
    Posts : 132
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

    Quote Originally Posted by kbronski View Post
    Curious, this computer is showing me that only 3.45GB out of 4GB installed memory is actually usable by the OS. It does have Windows 10 x64. Anyone got a fix for this?

    Laptop CPU: AMD E1-6015 APU
    I believe the laptop in question is different from the one in his System Specs. His question is about and AMD APU that has an AMD video solution not an Intel HD 3000. Just trying to make things clear. Why I posted the link previously about the AMD R2 graphics.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Since Windows 10 not all of my RAM is usable.
I just noticed this. I never had this problem under Windows 8.x. Checked my BIOS and everything looked good. IGPU is turned off. Setting the memory in msconfig Boot|Advanced doesn't work. I've run out of ideas. Looking for a fix. 30002
General Support
8 GB RAM installed but only 3.23 GB usable
I have recently upgraded to Windows 10 Home from Windows 7 Home. And I replaced my 4 RAM sticks with 8 GB RAM but my system shows : Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB (3.23 GB usable). Please advise if anyone knows how to fix this. 39748
Drivers and Hardware
Games not running ........................
Something has changed in win 10 on my pc. Games that have been running perfectly suddenly are telling me that I have to 'use administrator privileges' to play and are refusing to open. I have just reinstalled Doom 3 again to see if it fixed the...
Gaming
Solved Running IE in Windows 10 Pro
I have Windows 10 Pro installed and I also have PAYG electric and gas meters in my house. These run via a USB card reader / key reader, which in Windows 7, used IE as its only browser due to ActiveX installs. This system cannot run via Chrome...
Browsers and Email
N/B/running hot
My North Bridge is at 126%. It's on a Asus Crosshair IV Formula Motherboard http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11/davidl1l/Capture4-1.jpg Now this one I built for my boy and it sat lol for about a year. I'M RIDING IT NOW. Is that to hot for...
Drivers and Hardware
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:48.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums