Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    05 Oct 2015 #11
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 17,043
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu

    I didn't see the recommendation, or that you turned Fast Boot off in BIOS(If you have it on) then give chkdsk a shot.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  2.    05 Oct 2015 #12
    Join Date : Oct 2015
    Posts : 10
    windows 10 pro 64 bit
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by dalchina View Post
    Hi, not sthg I've had to do, but a quick search for
    "create bootable usb from iso"
    suggests (e.g.)
    Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way

    Bear in mind your BIOS boot priorities may have to be changed for you to boot from a USB device.

    When did your CD/DVD drive stop working? Is that indicative of your range of problems, or sthg else?

    Oh, and you'd need to check about using a USB device for in-place repair if it comes to that.
    My CD/DVD Drive Is broken long time a go. PLEASE PLEASE can you show me step by step on how to do it im not that good when it comes to computer repair if possible
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.PNG  
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    05 Oct 2015 #13
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    UK, Midlands
    Posts : 10,538
    Win 10 Pro (1703)

    Hi, I see what Cliff S is getting at vis á vis fast boot... MS seems to have created a situation where with fast boot (where a lot more is stored on disk from your previous session e.g. so you can seem to boot faster 'cos it's reloaded) means the mechanism whereby a scheduled chkdsk is run is not actually implemented. Hmm. (I have an older laptop so haven't experienced these joys). It's associated with F8 not being available by default to let you access the boot menu by repeatedly pressing it.

    However your laptop is probably 2009 vintage- did it come with Vista? HP ProBook 4310s.. so probably doesn't use UEFI - but has a BIOS. Is that correct?

    Now try following this
    Fast Startup - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    to turn off fast startup, then see if you can schedule chkdsk.


    However, you really should try creating your Windows USB drive, as I have a feeling you're going to need it, and that should be a clear way to get chkdsk run, if you can get your PC booting from it.

    The following is really for interest and completeness only... ignore if you're not technically inclined:

    Note the comment here:
    Why Doesn't Scheduled Chkdsk Run On Restart?
    This gives lots of detail about chkdsk vs fast boot.

    "If it (chkdsk) will not start, it means that the system has detected no problems with the file system on the drive." I don't know if that's true.

    Regarding your CD/DVD drive- is that known to be a hardware fault?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    05 Oct 2015 #14
    Join Date : Oct 2015
    Posts : 10
    windows 10 pro 64 bit
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff S View Post
    I didn't see the recommendation, or that you turned Fast Boot off in BIOS(If you have it on) then give chkdsk a shot.
    My boot BIOS is on and still can't run it
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    05 Oct 2015 #15
    Join Date : Oct 2015
    Posts : 10
    windows 10 pro 64 bit
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by dalchina View Post
    Hi, I see what Cliff S is getting at vis á vis fast boot... MS seems to have created a situation where with fast boot (where a lot more is stored on disk from your previous session e.g. so you can seem to boot faster 'cos it's reloaded) means the mechanism whereby a scheduled chkdsk is run is not actually implemented. Hmm. (I have an older laptop so haven't experienced these joys). It's associated with F8 not being available by default to let you access the boot menu by repeatedly pressing it.

    However your laptop is probably 2009 vintage- did it come with Vista? HP ProBook 4310s.. so probably doesn't use UEFI - but has a BIOS. Is that correct?

    Now try following this
    Fast Startup - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    to turn off fast startup, then see if you can schedule chkdsk.


    However, you really should try creating your Windows USB drive, as I have a feeling you're going to need it, and that should be a clear way to get chkdsk run, if you can get your PC booting from it.

    The following is really for interest and completeness only... ignore if you're not technically inclined:

    Note the comment here:
    Why Doesn't Scheduled Chkdsk Run On Restart?
    This gives lots of detail about chkdsk vs fast boot.

    "If it (chkdsk) will not start, it means that the system has detected no problems with the file system on the drive." I don't know if that's true.

    Regarding your CD/DVD drive- is that known to be a hardware fault?
    Yes my HP was Vista and upgraded to Win 7 after Win10 and it run BIOS no UEFI I turnet off Fast Start up but still same can't run on startup windows boot normally .
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    05 Oct 2015 #16
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    UK, Midlands
    Posts : 10,538
    Win 10 Pro (1703)

    Ok, so please go back to what I said, create your bootable Win 10 USB device, boot from it, get to a command prompt using that, then run chkdsk C: \F and post the result.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    05 Oct 2015 #17
    Join Date : Oct 2015
    Posts : 10
    windows 10 pro 64 bit
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by dalchina View Post
    Ok, so please go back to what I said, create your bootable Win 10 USB device, boot from it, get to a command prompt using that, then run chkdsk C: \F and post the result.
    THANKS A LOT ALL SORTED OUT I FOLLOWED WHAT YOU TOLD ME AND ALL IS FINE expect one thing there is a message that reads at the end Failed to transfer logged message to the event log with status 50
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20151006_022836.jpg  
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    06 Oct 2015 #18
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    UK, Midlands
    Posts : 10,538
    Win 10 Pro (1703)

    Ok, well done, question remains as to whether chkdsk will run as a scheduled event on restart..

    If chkdsk has made significant changes, it's probably worth running sfc \scannow from an elevated command prompt.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    06 Oct 2015 #19
    Join Date : Oct 2015
    Posts : 10
    windows 10 pro 64 bit
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by dalchina View Post
    Ok, well done, question remains as to whether chkdsk will run as a scheduled event on restart..

    If chkdsk has made significant changes, it's probably worth running sfc \scannow from an elevated command prompt.
    Thanks Dalchina I can run sfc \scannow with no problems no errors where found. I scheduled to run and it worked fine also with no problems found all is fine thanks to you I appreciate your help.

    ;
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    06 Oct 2015 #20
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    UK, Midlands
    Posts : 10,538
    Win 10 Pro (1703)

    Great! Sometimes we're lucky..
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
100% DISK usage causing slow system startup
For the last week or so my system has been very slow to startup, and during this time the disk shows at 100% usage. It takes at least 5-10 minutes until everything has loaded and disk usage returns to normal and the system is usable. I have...
Performance & Maintenance
windows 10 requires check disk
I received the latest build of windows 10 pro insider edition and upgraded to it without any problem. I un checked the quick start box in the power section because I have windows 7 on a separate drive in the same pc. With the first build I...
Performance & Maintenance
Win10 Skipping disk check
I need help as I'm getting very frustrated. My D: drive (non system) keeps getting check on startup, I tried to use the 'chkntfs /x D:' to skip this but it doesn't work. After a few forced resets, when I land the 'press any key to skip disk...
Performance & Maintenance
Solved check disk problem
I have an HP P7-1010 pc on which I installed a 2nd HDD to run Windows 10 beta. Installation went fine and I am using the boot manager to boot between the new drive with windows 10 and my old drive with windows 7. On the 2nd boot to windows 7 I get...
General Support
If you recovered W10 using a disk image please check......
that your Windows Update history is intact and correctly displayed. There seems to be a problem with W10 backup and restore that may involve two possible scenarios, although I can't say for certain at this time whether the second is a real issue...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:44.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums