Windows 10 freezes when entering the desktop screen

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 43,199
    Win 10 Pro (22H2) (2nd PC is 22H2)
       #21

    Good point - given Raeeka hasn't provided any specs.
    I've just seen a comment 'from many years ago' in one of the posts.

    But that begs the question of why there are TPM reports in the error logs in post #9...

    @Raeeka - as your PC is so old, you CANNOT blame Windows as you do.
    There is absolutely no guarantee of compatibility with Win 10, is there?

    You took the decision to install Win 10 on an old PC- so you took on the responsibility to try to resolve issues.
    And those may not be resolvable.

    Very occasionally someone might find one major build of Win 10 is ok- but the next not.
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 81
    10 v21H2
    Thread Starter
       #22

    joeandmarg0 said:
    In Reliability History,go to the first SearchApp.exe failure,select it then RIGHT click on it and a box should appear with ---view tech details ---.Click on it and a report will appear which will give failure details which can be used to determine the cause.
    In the Search box,type in ---dxdiag ---and in the Display page note the Driver version in use and visit the maker's site and check for a later version and if available,download and install it.Also ensure the WHQL box is ticked,bottom left in Display page.
    This problem has nothing to do with the graphics card and its driver
    And the driver is the latest official version of the Nvidia site for this model
    The system freezes without a graphics card or hard drive
    My doubt is tpm
    And I asked a question how to disable this feature in Windows
    But I did not receive an answer
    I think I should think about buying a new setup!
    But everything was fine until two days ago!

    - - - Updated - - -

    dalchina said:
    You should also explore (from your first event log)
    Microsoft 10 Event ID 360 Warning User Device Registration

    which occurs multiple times.

    This may be related to MS 'Hello' for example.


    You ask
    "How to disable TPM?"

    How do you disable the TPM?

    The settings should be in your BIOS/UEFI.
    https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...rn-off-the-tpm
    In the BIOS of this motherboard there is no option to enable or disable tpm!
    The motherboard is old and apparently these things were not important for Microsoft and Asus at that time!


    - - - Updated - - -

    dalchina said:
    Good point - given Raeeka hasn't provided any specs.
    I've just seen a comment 'from many years ago' in one of the posts.

    But that begs the question of why there are TPM reports in the error logs in post #9...

    @Raeeka - as your PC is so old, you CANNOT blame Windows as you do.
    There is absolutely no guarantee of compatibility with Win 10, is there?

    You took the decision to install Win 10 on an old PC- so you took on the responsibility to try to resolve issues.
    And those may not be resolvable.

    Very occasionally someone might find one major build of Win 10 is ok- but the next not.
    These things are just to force users to buy a new system! Yes, the system is old, but it does my work and I am satisfied with its speed!
    The condition of having tpm is newly added to this Windows and it was not there before
    If it wasn't for the Kaspersky antivirus license limit, I would have gone to the previous builds
    But I have a limited number of Windows installations and I cannot install new Windows more than 2 times a year!
    Last edited by Raeeka; 02 Aug 2023 at 16:23.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 43,199
    Win 10 Pro (22H2) (2nd PC is 22H2)
       #23

    And thank you for your reply. I wish you good luck.
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 6,393
    Windows 11 Pro - Windows 7 HP - Lubuntu
       #24

    Open device manager. Is there any yellow alert of missing drivers?
    How is the CPU temperatures?
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 81
    10 v21H2
    Thread Starter
       #25

    Megahertz said:
    Open device manager. Is there any yellow alert of missing drivers?
    How is the CPU temperatures?
    No there is no warning


    The temperature is normal
    Of course, the ventilation system of the house is also very good
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 1,600
    win10 home
       #26

    For TPM go to Windows Security> Device Security and see if TPM is fitted.
    Could you please answer my query regarding SearchApp.exe failure.
    Drivers are very relevant to freezing and every possibility needs eliminating.
    Your reluctance to provide hardware details is puzzling.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 81
    10 v21H2
    Thread Starter
       #27

    joeandmarg0 said:
    For TPM go to Windows Security> Device Security and see if TPM is fitted.
    Could you please answer my query regarding SearchApp.exe failure.
    Drivers are very relevant to freezing and every possibility needs eliminating.
    Your reluctance to provide hardware details is puzzling.
    Please let me know what more details you want



    SearchApp.exe details:
    Description
    The program SearchApp.exe version 10.0.19041.3155 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
    Process ID: 18cc
    Start Time: 01d9c48d66cba17d
    Termination Time: 4294967295
    Application Path: C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Search_cw5n1h2txyewy\SearchApp.exe
    Report Id: 798078d2-2a28-47e4-a3be-501193c74044
    Faulting package full name: Microsoft.Windows.Search_1.14.10.19041_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
    Faulting package-relative application ID: CortanaUI
    Hang type: Cross-thread
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 1,600
    win10 home
       #28

    You cannot disable TPM because Windows Security shows your system does not have it.The SearchApp.exe ,an integral part of Win 10,will fail because it can't find that which doesn't exist on your system.The timeout delay operates and the freeze is the result.
    Windows Defender is as good as Kaspersky.,
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 81
    10 v21H2
    Thread Starter
       #29

    joeandmarg0 said:
    You cannot disable TPM because Windows Security shows your system does not have it.The SearchApp.exe ,an integral part of Win 10,will fail because it can't find that which doesn't exist on your system.The timeout delay operates and the freeze is the result.
    Windows Defender is as good as Kaspersky.,
    So what is the solution to this problem? Does this mean that the system should be retired for this reason?
    I prefer Kaspersky because I don't trust Windows Defender full of bugs!
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 82
    Win10 pro v1903
       #30

    a graphics card that freezes with one driver but not with another can happen when the graphics card is bad or not getting enough power because a simpler driver does not tax the card like a full driver. The moment windows loads the desktop is a point of peak power usage, hardware problems sometimes occur right then to no fault of windows.

    I would boot from a bootable usb drive made from a hirens or strelec iso, instructions are easy to find, it will take you 10 minutes. Then benchmark the hell out of your system using their tools. If everything comes up roses only then can you conclude that this is not a hardware problem. I've seen a zillion people spend days troubleshooting windows when the issue all along was some gremlin hardware failure that produces windows error messages which fool you into thinking its a windows problem but its really a hardware problem.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:04.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums