DISM Logging disabled


  1. Posts : 4
    Win 10 Pro 22H2 19045.2604
       #1

    DISM Logging disabled


    After updating Win 10 (currently 22H2 19045.2604), I always run SFC and DISM commands to check for errors.
    99.9% of the time SFC and DISM (Restore Health & Start Component Clean up) report that everything is perfect.
    However, I have noticed that it states that DISM Logging is disabled - how would I go about enabling DISM logging?

    Nigel
      My Computer


  2. NTN
    Posts : 969
    W10 19045.2546
       #2

    Type C:\Windows\Logs\Dism in the search bar and press Enter....

    Open DISM--->Do you see any log there?

    --------------------------------

    It may because your NTFS File Compression in Windows are disabled?

    In CMD(adm)
    type fsutil behavior set disablecompression 0 for enable it.
    Restart PC.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 4
    Win 10 Pro 22H2 19045.2604
    Thread Starter
       #3

    NTN said:
    Type C:\Windows\Logs\Dism in the search bar and press Enter....

    Open DISM--->Do you see any log there?

    --------------------------------

    It may because your NTFS File Compression in Windows are disabled?

    In CMD(adm)
    type fsutil behavior set disablecompression 0 for enable it.
    Restart PC.
    I can locate the log, as you suggested, however the log file is empty (size 0 bytes).

    I have run the suggested command above; no change.
    The full error is: "Logging is disabled: unable to obtain access to the log file c:\windows\logs\dism\dism.log.
      My Computer


  4. NTN
    Posts : 969
    W10 19045.2546
       #4

    Does your Event Viewer report any errors linked to this?
    _______________________________________________

    Could be a corruption in the WinSxs FOLDER.

    Try clean the WinSxS folder. Here's how to do it:

    Open the Command Prompt with admin rights.
    Type these four separate commands by pressing Enter after each:

    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
    sfc /scannow
    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore
    sfc /scannow
    Next, restart your computer and open Command Prompt with admin rights again.
    Type the following command and press Enter to run the DISM scan.
    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    sfc /scannow
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 4
    Win 10 Pro 22H2 19045.2604
    Thread Starter
       #5

    NTN said:
    Does your Event Viewer report any errors linked to this?
    _______________________________________________

    Could be a corruption in the WinSxs FOLDER.

    Try clean the WinSxS folder. Here's how to do it:

    Open the Command Prompt with admin rights.
    Type these four separate commands by pressing Enter after each:

    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
    sfc /scannow
    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore
    sfc /scannow
    Next, restart your computer and open Command Prompt with admin rights again.
    Type the following command and press Enter to run the DISM scan.
    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    sfc /scannow
    Once again, many thanks for your suggestion. I have followed your instructions, all to no avail.
    What else could I try?

    Kind Regards
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 18,034
    Win 10 Pro 64-bit v1909 - Build 18363 Custom ISO Install
       #6

    Hello @NFP1963,

    Out of interest, have you got a CBS.log with recent dates and times ?

    Code:
    
    %SystemRoot%\Logs\CBS
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 4
    Win 10 Pro 22H2 19045.2604
    Thread Starter
       #7

    Paul Black said:
    Hello @NFP1963,

    Out of interest, have you got a CBS.log with recent dates and times ?

    Code:
    
    %SystemRoot%\Logs\CBS
    Hi Paul,

    Yes I have: DISM Logging disabled-screenshot-2023-02-18-115402.jpg

    - - - Updated - - -

    NFP1963 said:
    Hi Paul,

    Yes I have: DISM Logging disabled-screenshot-2023-02-18-115402.jpg
    Hello Paul and NTN,
    I decided last evening to perform a 'repair install'. I am happy to report that this has solved my DISM problems as the logging file is now enabled and the log file is now populated.
    Many thanks to both of you for your assistance with this matter.

    Kind Regards

    Nigel
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 18,034
    Win 10 Pro 64-bit v1909 - Build 18363 Custom ISO Install
       #8

    Hello @NFP1963,

    NFP1963 said:
    I decided last evening to perform a 'repair install'. I am happy to report that this has solved my DISM problems as the logging file is now enabled and the log file is now populated.

    Many thanks to both of you for your assistance with this matter.
    Excellent news, and you are VERY welcome.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:35.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums