1.    24 Aug 2015 #1
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 20
    Windows 10 64-bit

    Black screen after login


    Hey! I have had windows 10 for a while now, but ever since release I have a pretty huge issue. After having it installed for a while (week or two) it gives me some weird windows notification (Didn't screenshot it fast enough, but is is very long with weird symbols) and after that my windows gets completely wrecked. My start menu stops working, and when I press windows shortcuts (Like Win+E to open computer) It takes around 6-7 seconds. Before the issue it starts instantly when I press it (Windows installed on SSD, it's usually lightning fast)

    Then when I restart the computer and login, everything goes completely black. I can login, since the login screen is normal, but the moment I finish entering my password I get greeted by a black screen and only mouse cursor visible. I can wait for 5 minutes and still nothing happens. I can ctrl-alt-delete and enter task manager, where I am able to start processes manually. It looks like this after I manually start things like spotify and mozilla. I am running dual screens, so spotify is on the left, and the right one has task manager running, with mozilla minimized.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	miilhlh.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	395.2 KB 
ID:	33511

    The weird thing is that this exact thing happens after windows 10 has been installed for around a week. This is the second time it happens, and the only solution I found last time was to do clean install of everything. After that everything was perfect again. Last time I ran the SFC scannow command, and the other more lengthy one that is supposed to fix that command. It said windows files had been repaired, but nothing noticable was fixed when I restarted. Doing this every week gets a little frustrating, so hopefully this issue is solvable without having to.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    24 Aug 2015 #2
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 28
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bits

    I got that too, and I found that you should End task Explorer.exe (End task, not restart, right click and then click on endtask) and then run new task, type in explorer.exe, hit enter and hope you can fix that problem, also, please try a clean boot and disable fast startup too
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    25 Aug 2015 #3
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 20
    Windows 10 64-bit
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by phamthanhnhan View Post
    I got that too, and I found that you should End task Explorer.exe (End task, not restart, right click and then click on endtask) and then run new task, type in explorer.exe, hit enter and hope you can fix that problem, also, please try a clean boot and disable fast startup too
    Thanks for the answer, I ran some command I found online in powershell yesterday, and atleast windows starts up somewhat normally again. The problem with severe delay is still present though. It takes around 7-10 seconds for computer to load when I press Win+E, while doubleclicking my computer on the desktop brings me there in 0.1 second. Right clicking (To copy or rename or whatever on files) in file explorer is also incredibly slow. This takes around 5 seconds from right click before anything happens. This is not normal for me, it used to be instant. Start menu is also not working at all, I click it, wait 20 seconds, and nothing happens. Just a texture change to show that I clicked it, but otherwise no features. This is getting pretty annoying, wondering if I should just roll back to win 7 again Had no issues there for 3+ years, and after 1 week on win 10 I get some of the worst issues I have ever had on a operative system :/
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    07 Sep 2015 #4
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 20
    Windows 10 64-bit
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel25569 View Post
    SOLUTION: Go to C:\Users\YourUser\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows, and rename UsrClass.dat to UsrClass.dat.old, and restart your computer.
    If it doesn't work, you can create another admin account and make the same thing with your second account.

    Remember that this process will delete all your windows apps. To restore them, all you need to do is type this command in an Admin Powershell:

    Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register
    "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}


    This worked fine for me, hope it works for you too

    This seems to have worked for some people with the same issue, hopefully it will help someone searching for help who have the same issues. It didn't work for me, but atleast I got to confirm that this is some user account corruption and not windows files being damageg. The new account I made to rename the file worked perfectly, just like my main profile did after fresh install. No problems on it whatsoever, but I bet it too would get corrupted after some weeks of use
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    17 Sep 2015 #5
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 20
    Windows 10 64-bit
    Thread Starter

    So I made a new account yesterday, and of course it got corrupted again. This is the notification I get the moment start menu stops working and everything happens:
    Attachment 37989
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    17 Sep 2015 #6
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Posts : 91
    64-bit 10240 10 Pro

    I still get a black screen but it lasts only about 1 or 2 seconds now.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    18 Sep 2015 #7
    Join Date : Sep 2015
    Posts : 2
    Windows 10

    Blank Screen


    I just now started running into this issue. It gave me an error that said "Your computer had encountered an error and needs to restart." I couldn't read it all since it was only up for a few moments that I know of since it woke me up from sleeping, but all I could say is that my speakers made a loud buzzing noise until I shut them off and my laptop reset. Now it gives me a black screen after I log in. I've reset it at least 3 or 4 times now in 2 hours. It keeps giving the same black screen with a cursor after I logged in each time. I have an external monitor I only use because my laptop screen cracked internally. I'm coming here to see if anyone can help me figure out what's going on, if I'm having the same issue as everyone else did or if mine is something completely different. If anyone can help, I'd be very appreciated.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    18 Sep 2015 #8
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 20
    Windows 10 64-bit
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaosfuzion98 View Post
    I just now started running into this issue. It gave me an error that said "Your computer had encountered an error and needs to restart." I couldn't read it all since it was only up for a few moments that I know of since it woke me up from sleeping, but all I could say is that my speakers made a loud buzzing noise until I shut them off and my laptop reset. Now it gives me a black screen after I log in. I've reset it at least 3 or 4 times now in 2 hours. It keeps giving the same black screen with a cursor after I logged in each time. I have an external monitor I only use because my laptop screen cracked internally. I'm coming here to see if anyone can help me figure out what's going on, if I'm having the same issue as everyone else did or if mine is something completely different. If anyone can help, I'd be very appreciated.
    This sounds like the same thing I ran into. You have two options I think, reinstall and only keep personal files or create another user. I ended up doing a reinstall and created a backup image the moment I had reinstalled everything I need. So far so good, no errors.

    If you want to keep using the broken user account, you can open task manager (CTRL+Shift+ESC) and press File -> Run new task -> Browse, and then try to open firefox or whatever. It will work like normal, and after a while the system catches up, and explorer manages to actually work. Restarting explorer from task manager didn't work for me, but it might for you. When everything works decent again, you can run the sfc /scannow command in CMD and hopefully it will fix something. If it worked it should start normally the next time you restart, otherwise keep using the command up to 3 times.

    Might be easier to just reinstall windows and make a backup ASAP, I had my computer like yours for some weeks before I finally realized it wasn't going to get fixed. You really should make a backup though, the error might come back again, it did with me after a clean install. No idea what causes the user corruption, but it gets really problematic after a while when nothing works properly.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    18 Sep 2015 #9
    Join Date : Sep 2015
    Posts : 2
    Windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by stigus View Post
    This sounds like the same thing I ran into. You have two options I think, reinstall and only keep personal files or create another user. I ended up doing a reinstall and created a backup image the moment I had reinstalled everything I need. So far so good, no errors.

    If you want to keep using the broken user account, you can open task manager (CTRL+Shift+ESC) and press File -> Run new task -> Browse, and then try to open firefox or whatever. It will work like normal, and after a while the system catches up, and explorer manages to actually work. Restarting explorer from task manager didn't work for me, but it might for you. When everything works decent again, you can run the sfc /scannow command in CMD and hopefully it will fix something. If it worked it should start normally the next time you restart, otherwise keep using the command up to 3 times.

    Might be easier to just reinstall windows and make a backup ASAP, I had my computer like yours for some weeks before I finally realized it wasn't going to get fixed. You really should make a backup though, the error might come back again, it did with me after a clean install. No idea what causes the user corruption, but it gets really problematic after a while when nothing works properly.
    I have Windows 10 since mid-July to now, and I upgraded from Windows 8.1. I'll have to try that first though.
    Last edited by Chaosfuzion98; 18 Sep 2015 at 12:59.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Windows 10 black screen -before- login screen problem.
I upgraded a desktop computer from Windows 7 ultimate to Windows 10 and there seems to be an annoying black screen issue which happens before the login screen. After the Windows loading logo, the screen stays black for about 60-80 seconds (and...
General Support
Black screen on boot before login screen
Laptop: ​Gigabyte U2442 The issue is pretty much as stated in the title "​Black screen on boot before login screen". I've booted into safe mode and changed the startup up to diagnostic boot and it gets further. When in diagnostic mode it...
General Support
Windows 10 - Black Screen not able to Login
I upgraded to windows 10 from 7 through Microsoft's updater. I used Windows 10 for setting up my calendar, by the time it restarted and System reboots and ends up in black screen without getting into login page. I tried to perform to open in...
General Support
Black screen on login! Please help!
So.. I screwed up.. I used a small program called something like Windows 10 Login Background Changer (something along those lines) and when I restarted my computer, it never reached the login screen. I can move the mouse and open Magnifier (was...
General Support
Black screen at login
After I sleep my computer, sometimes the screen is just black with my cursor. I can still do the basic functions like turn brightness down and move my cursor around, but I cannot login or see any graphics. Sleeping again doesn't fix the problem,...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:40.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums