I cant run DISM and sfc from Win PE.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
  1. buglocker2's Avatar
    Posts : 203
    Windows 10 pro x64
       #1

    I cant run DISM and sfc from Win PE.


    Hello.
    DISM always and sometimes sfc , they find and fix problems (so they say), but the next time I run them again, even if it is after 10 minutes, they find the same problems again , even after reboots.
    So I thought of trying to boot them from WinPE as I read on the internet but also because the errors that DISM log files have refer to it.
    I tried several versions of the DISM command, but none worked. Also in sfc I get the error "Windows resource protection could not perform the requested opera". Does anyone know how I can run them to try fix the problem?
    As English is not my primary language I would greatly appreciate it if the instructions were step by step. Also I am not willing for this reason to do repair install since my system works properly.
    Note: I made a DVD with Win PE that has the install.esd file in the sources directory (D:\sources\install.esd).
    Thanks.
    (Windows 10 pro version 21H1 19043.1165)
    Last edited by buglocker2; 28 Aug 2021 at 18:26.
      My Computer

  2. Berton's Avatar
    Posts : 11,951
    Win10 Pro Versions 2004 and 2009/20H2, Win10 Pro IP_Dev, Win10 Home 1909
       #2

    I noticed in the few times I've had to use the DISM commands that it was important to run in PowerShell as Administrator and that where Capital letters were shown that was necessary to do them and that there was always a space required before the / forward slash.
    I cant run DISM and sfc from Win PE.-image.png
      My Computers

  3. buglocker2's Avatar
    Posts : 203
    Windows 10 pro x64
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Berton said:
    I noticed in the few times I've had to use the DISM commands that it was important to run in PowerShell as Administrator and that where Capital letters were shown that was necessary to do them and that there was always a space required before the / forward slash.
    I cant run DISM and sfc from Win PE.-image.png
    I use spaces and slashes and from command prompt of Win PE.
    Thanks.
      My Computer

  4. Megahertz's Avatar
    Posts : 3,298
    Windows 7 HP 64 - Windows 10 Pro - Lubuntu
       #4

    Boot from the Win 10 installation drive
    Open a CMD window: (shift+F10)
    - Identify the windows drive letter
    diskpart
    list vol
    exit
    sfc /scannow /offbootdir=<Windows_Drive_Letter>:\ /offwindir=<Windows_Drive_Letter>:\windows
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 39,151
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       #5

    There are scripts that we regularly use for troubleshooting.
    It's best to have the default language set to English so that the results can be read.

    If you would like help with the above please comment into the thread.
      My Computer

  6. buglocker2's Avatar
    Posts : 203
    Windows 10 pro x64
    Thread Starter
       #6

    zbook said:
    There are scripts that we regularly use for troubleshooting.
    It's best to have the default language set to English so that the results can be read.

    If you would like help with the above please comment into the thread.
    There is no problem if the scripts or results are at English.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Megahertz said:
    Boot from the Win 10 installation drive
    Open a CMD window: (shift+F10)
    - Identify the windows drive letter
    diskpart
    list vol
    exit
    sfc /scannow /offbootdir=<Windows_Drive_Letter>:\ /offwindir=<Windows_Drive_Letter>:\windows
    I gave the command and got the error "Windows Resource protection could not start the repair service".
      My Computer



  7. Posts : 39,151
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       #7

    Please run:

    V2: BSOD - Posting Instructions


    Tuneup_plus_log.bat Click here to go to the BSOD batch repository to download and run this batch file.


    SFCfromFile.bat - Click here to go to the BSOD batch repository to download and run this batch file.
      My Computer

  8. buglocker2's Avatar
    Posts : 203
    Windows 10 pro x64
    Thread Starter
       #8

    zbook said:
    Please run:

    V2: BSOD - Posting Instructions


    Tuneup_plus_log.bat Click here to go to the BSOD batch repository to download and run this batch file.


    SFCfromFile.bat - Click here to go to the BSOD batch repository to download and run this batch file.
    Perhaps dism and sfc log files are more useful to upload ? (and are in english)
    Also , i dont take BSODs and therefore i dont have dump files.
      My Computer

  9. FreeBooter's Avatar
    Posts : 4,351
    Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
       #9

    Execute the following command to prevent DISM from contacting WU/WSUS.

    Code:
    DISM.exe /Image:c:\ /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /LimitAccess /Source:C:\Windows\WinSxS
    Please replace partition letter C: with Windows installed partition letter. When the computer boots into Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) environment, the drive letter assign to Windows partition may not be C: drive letter because Windows 7, 8 , 8.1 and 10 creates a separate system partition when it's installed from scratch. The system partition contains boot files WinRE assigns the system partition the C: drive letter and the Windows installed partition will be assigned any other drive letter, usually D: drive letter is assign to Windows installed partition. The Bcdedit | find "osdevice" command can be used to find out the drive letter of the Windows installed partition, the output of the Bcdedit command is similar to this osdevice partition=D:. The drive letter after partition= is the drive letter of the Windows partition.
      My Computer

  10. buglocker2's Avatar
    Posts : 203
    Windows 10 pro x64
    Thread Starter
       #10

    FreeBooter said:
    Execute the following command to prevent DISM from contacting WU/WSUS.

    Code:
    DISM.exe /Image:c:\ /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /LimitAccess /Source:C:\Windows\WinSxS
    Please replace partition letter C: with Windows installed partition letter. When the computer boots into Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) environment, the drive letter assign to Windows partition may not be C: drive letter because Windows 7, 8 , 8.1 and 10 creates a separate system partition when it's installed from scratch. The system partition contains boot files WinRE assigns the system partition the C: drive letter and the Windows installed partition will be assigned any other drive letter, usually D: drive letter is assign to Windows installed partition. The Bcdedit | find "osdevice" command can be used to find out the drive letter of the Windows installed partition, the output of the Bcdedit command is similar to this osdevice partition=D:. The drive letter after partition= is the drive letter of the Windows partition.
    When i boot with the Win PE (not RE) DVD , i can see with the dir command that the C: is the disk with windows. When i run the command you say i take an error : "Error 87 the cleanup-image option is unknown".
    Anyway , i try to run a repair with DISM , but offline using the WinPE DVD , not my current image at C:.
    Thanks for your response.
      My Computer


 
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:27.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums