Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 230
    Windows 10, 8.1, 7, and Vista
       21 Aug 2015 #1

    How to disable automatic maintenance?


    I want to disable automatic maintenance because my new SSD is arriving soon, and since SSDs have a limited life span, I want to preserve them as much as possible. ( I know modern SSDs can last a loooooooooong time, I just want to be super careful with mine. )

    Automatic maintenance runs some unnecessary background tasks while the computer is on.

    In Windows 8, you could disable automatic maintenance through Task Scheduler. In Windows 10, the "task" of Automatic Maintenance is no longer there. Looks like Microsoft is hiding it. Where is it?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 48
    Windows 10 x64 Home 1511
       21 Aug 2015 #2

    Mhhh, maybe you can disable that through disk defragmenter?, I could do that since I installed 10, and it's a VM. normally if you disable the automatic optimizer, the task schedule is disabled as well.

    Now, if you are to install W10 on your new SSD, don't worry, the installer detects if this is a HDD or a SSD, so it will disable any defragment tools if it sees it's an actual SSD. I've heard that, for Windows to detect that, it's necessary to enable AHCI mode in your BIOS instead of legacy IDE support, dunno if that is true or not though.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Dec 2013
    England
    Posts : 837
    Windows IP 15007 Windows 14393.693
       22 Aug 2015 #3

    bobjoe said: View Post
    I want to disable automatic maintenance because my new SSD is arriving soon, and since SSDs have a limited life span, I want to preserve them as much as possible. ( I know modern SSDs can last a loooooooooong time, I just want to be super careful with mine. )

    Automatic maintenance runs some unnecessary background tasks while the computer is on.

    In Windows 8, you could disable automatic maintenance through Task Scheduler. In Windows 10, the "task" of Automatic Maintenance is no longer there. Looks like Microsoft is hiding it. Where is it?
    Go to Control Panel, switch to view by small icons, Administrative tools, Defragment and Optimise, Change settings and switch off Optimise.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture 101.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	33077
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture 100.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	33078
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 230
    Windows 10, 8.1, 7, and Vista
       22 Aug 2015 #4

    That's for defragmentation only. Automatic maintenance does other things as well.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Dec 2013
    England
    Posts : 837
    Windows IP 15007 Windows 14393.693
       22 Aug 2015 #5

    bobjoe said: View Post
    That's for defragmentation only. Automatic maintenance does other things as well.
    Sorry
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Jun 2015
    CA, Upland
    Posts : 61
    Win 7 PRO x64, Win 10 Pro x64
       22 Aug 2015 #6

    Check your action center, under maintenance there is a option to change the scheduled maintenance. What SSD did you buy, your prob better off just leaving it to do the maintenance as it does things like index your files for you. It can wake your pc from sleep though.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 230
    Windows 10, 8.1, 7, and Vista
       22 Aug 2015 #7

    rvcjew said: View Post
    Check your action center, under maintenance there is a option to change the scheduled maintenance. What SSD did you buy, your prob better off just leaving it to do the maintenance as it does things like index your files for you. It can wake your pc from sleep though.
    Samsung 850 Evo 1TB.

    It's annoying how MS keeps dumbing down their OS to an unbearable level. Taking away users' control since 2012 with Windows 8...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Jun 2015
    CA, Upland
    Posts : 61
    Win 7 PRO x64, Win 10 Pro x64
       22 Aug 2015 #8

    With one that good I would probably just leave it alone, and yes 10 seems to have some unfinished ui elements and things in odd places. It kinda looks like they gutted windows 7/8 and left parts they did not have time to make a ui for. I'm sure it will get more stream lined as the updates roll out that change big issues people find. No mater what I disabled to the point of the pc almost not being able to wake back up mine would always wake from sleep after about 3 hours so I went back to 7 and it may be have been an upgrade issue or something to do with my soundcard but I do not have time to mess with it atm. I do not regret coming back at this time. I also have a lot of old games that do not work with the DRM ban in 10 as well so that's a downer (I do understand why they did it though).
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 230
    Windows 10, 8.1, 7, and Vista
       22 Aug 2015 #9

    rvcjew said: View Post
    With one that good I would probably just leave it alone, and yes 10 seems to have some unfinished ui elements and things in odd places. It kinda looks like they gutted windows 7/8 and left parts they did not have time to make a ui for. I'm sure it will get more stream lined as the updates roll out that change big issues people find. No mater what I disabled to the point of the pc almost not being able to wake back up mine would always wake from sleep after about 3 hours so I went back to 7 and it may be have been an upgrade issue or something to do with my soundcard but I do not have time to mess with it atm. I do not regret coming back at this time. I also have a lot of old games that do not work with the DRM ban in 10 as well so that's a downer (I do understand why they did it though).
    I agree. The two settings panels are really frustrating... What the hell was wrong with the Control Panel which everyone was used to which made Microsoft begin replacing it? I do not like the new "Settings" at all! Looks like something straight out of a mobile OS.

    And hmm... I've been running many disc based games with SecuROM with 0 issues in Windows 10... I guess the "ban on DRM" was just another click bait article.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Jun 2015
    CA, Upland
    Posts : 61
    Win 7 PRO x64, Win 10 Pro x64
       22 Aug 2015 #10

    bobjoe said: View Post
    I agree. The two settings panels are really frustrating... What the hell was wrong with the Control Panel which everyone was used to which made Microsoft begin replacing it? I do not like the new "Settings" at all! Looks like something straight out of a mobile OS.

    And hmm... I've been running many disc based games with SecuROM with 0 issues in Windows 10... I guess the "ban on DRM" was just another click bait article.
    The DRM is on certain types of the stuff and the settings menu is for more touch friendliness and if you are in tablet mode they even get bigger.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Disable automatic reboot for updates
Windows 10 seems to like rebooting without my permission - such as when I have a fullscreen game open, and I also miss the notification to postpone. How do I disable this? I don't have windows pro and thus cant use gpedit. The registry keys various...
Windows Updates and Activation
Automatic Maintenance - Change Settings in Windows 10
How to Change Automatic Maintenance Settings in Windows 10 Windows automatically runs scheduled maintenance on a daily schedule when you're not using your computer. This includes tasks such as software updates, Windows Updates, security...
Tutorials
Disable automatic maintenance?
Since the task Idle Maintenance and Regular Maintenance does not present in Task Scheduler anymore in Windows 10, does anyone know how to disable automatic maintenance?
Performance & Maintenance
Solved Disable automatic reboot for updates
Windows 10 seems to like rebooting without my permission - such as when I have a fullscreen game open, and I also miss the notification to postpone. How do I disable this? I don't have windows pro and thus cant use gpedit. The registry keys various...
Windows Updates and Activation
Disable Automatic Updates
Right now, after installing Windows 10, I only have the option to Automatically Install Updates or Notify to Schedule Restart. This is a problem, I want to be able to choose what drivers I install. I don't want windows automatically installing...
Windows Updates and Activation
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:33.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums