Old laptop with poor performance. Can something be done?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

  1. Posts : 4,094
    Windows 7 HP 64 - Windows 10 Pro - Lubuntu
       #21

    - Install a SSD
    - If you have a Win 7 license, upgrade to Win 7 32 bits or install a light Linux 32 bits (Lubuntu, Puppy Linux)
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 1,770
    Windows 11 [21H2]
       #22

    You consider buying more RAM, https://www.amazon.com/Computer-Memo...1&ts_id=172500

    and also SSD https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-Inch-...0266854&sr=8-1

    Also, Don't run W10 in an slower hardware. It would be bottlenecked.
    Run W7 or if you want, Linux.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 25,093
    10 Home x64 (21H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #23

    jbcarreon123 said:
    You consider buying more RAM...
    Unfortunately we've already shown in post #19 that this laptop's chipset only supports a maximum of 4GB.
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 1,770
    Windows 11 [21H2]
       #24

    oh. that's an problem. Well, the chipset doesn't work with 8gb of ram, so consider upgrading the frequency to 800mhz or 1333mhz
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 908
    11 Home
       #25

    jbcarreon123 said:
    oh. that's an problem. Well, the chipset doesn't work with 8gb of ram, so consider upgrading the frequency to 800mhz or 1333mhz
    The bus speed of the Intel Core 2 Duo T5750 CPU is limited to 667MHz.
    Intel(R) Core™2 Duo Processor T5750 (2M Cache, 2.00 GHz, 667 MHz FSB) Product Specifications

    I still have a laptop with an Intel Core 2 Duo Centrino2 T5800 CPU. I decommissioned this laptop 9 whole years ago in spite of the fact its bus speed is actually 800MHz. The reason why I did that? Simple. The new laptop that I got to replace it back then (just a few days after Windows 8 came out) has an Intel Core i3-3220 (Ivy Bridge) CPU, which is just so much faster in comparison, the 399 Euros that I spent on this new laptop could in fact be earned back faster by washing cars and mowing lawns than the time it took for the old one to load some modern websites the functionality of which would break if you tried to disable their scripts. Decommissioned it, too, within less than 3 years after I got it. I got another new laptop with an Intel Core i5-4210U (Haswell) CPU after that. Decommissioned it over 3 years ago. And another new one that's in my specs (2nd PC), and another (1st PC). Laptop museum. Maybe after this pandemic I could start asking for entrance fees so that I can then upgrade my Tiger Lake-U to 128GB RAM... or not.
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 35,604
    Win 10 Pro (21H2) (2nd PC is 21H2)
       #26

    For interest.. well, I found this entertaining.. really creative things you do with an old dead or too slow laptop...
    Things you can make from old, dead laptops - YouTube

    (caveat- about 80% in there's an advertising feature you can skip)
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 1,770
    Windows 11 [21H2]
       #27

    If you want, you can debloat Windows 10.

    - - - Updated - - -

    hdmi said:
    The bus speed of the Intel Core 2 Duo T5750 CPU is limited to 667MHz.
    Intel(R) Core™2 Duo Processor T5750 (2M Cache, 2.00 GHz, 667 MHz FSB) Product Specifications

    I still have a laptop with an Intel Core 2 Duo Centrino2 T5800 CPU. I decommissioned this laptop 9 whole years ago in spite of the fact its bus speed is actually 800MHz. The reason why I did that? Simple. The new laptop that I got to replace it back then (just a few days after Windows 8 came out) has an Intel Core i3-3220 (Ivy Bridge) CPU, which is just so much faster in comparison, the 399 Euros that I spent on this new laptop could in fact be earned back faster by washing cars and mowing lawns than the time it took for the old one to load some modern websites the functionality of which would break if you tried to disable their scripts. Decommissioned it, too, within less than 3 years after I got it. I got another new laptop with an Intel Core i5-4210U (Haswell) CPU after that. Decommissioned it over 3 years ago. And another new one that's in my specs (2nd PC), and another (1st PC). Laptop museum. Maybe after this pandemic I could start asking for entrance fees so that I can then upgrade my Tiger Lake-U to 128GB RAM... or not.
    My PC currently is an Core i3 2100 (Sandy Bridge) with 4gbs of ram and an hard drive. MY pc is really snappy. It is good even in the specs.
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 908
    11 Home
       #28

    jbcarreon123 said:
    My PC currently is an Core i3 2100 (Sandy Bridge) with 4gbs of ram and an hard drive. MY pc is really snappy. It is good even in the specs.
    Last month I also decommissioned a desktop PC that was bought 8 years and a half ago, Intel Core i5-3350P (Quad core @ 3.1GHz-3.3GHz) w/ 4GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz. It actually even has a nice GeForce GTX 650 1GB.
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 166
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #29

    dalchina said:
    *** you need to investigate this- something's wrong.
    Compare that with how it is after a clean boot.
    Inspect your task manager- which processes are using the CPU heavily?
    Look for under 5% when idle.

    I will rephrase and ask a longer question.
    Have you changed this?

    I was assuming you knew what a page file and paging is.

    It is only worth checking this next once you have idle CPU usage under control.

    100% isn't a rate.
    I will rephrase for you with an example and a specific question:
    What is the numeric transfer rate you see - in MB/s?
    Thank you dalchina!

    I checked the CPU again and found that one streaming software was using more CPU than expected. In addition I was accessing the laptop using a remote desktop software that used more than 50% alone. After a restart, and no programs started it runs at about 8% CPU usage.

    I've not changed the page file. It is currently set to Start 6000 MB and Maximum 12000 MB. My HDD has a a lot of free space. Should I adjust this? Free HDD space is really not needed on this computer.

    I see what you mean on the transfer rate. I had a bunch of files about 150 MB in size that I transfered to another folder in less than a sec. It seem to be fairly fast. I do not have any larger files on this computer that I am aware of...
    AndreTen said:
    Asked you before... can you please check processor speed and post back readings, or picture

    Attachment 331395
    Hello Andre, Processor Speed is set at 2 GHz.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 35,604
    Win 10 Pro (21H2) (2nd PC is 21H2)
       #30

    Thanks.
    . After a restart, and no programs started it runs at about 8% CPU usage.
    - a lot better.

    - You may have a paging file set to certain limits. Check it's set to automatically managed (default).
    Old laptop with poor performance. Can something be done?-1.png

    I see what you mean on the transfer rate.
    See if you can try that with a large enough file that gives you time to see the transfer rate as a number.
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:37.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums