Defrag SSD

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

  1. Posts : 1,903
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       #31

    " if you do it too many times "...........you are right ! Best practice is; manual , once a month ............
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 17,281
    Windows 11 Pro
       #32

    pietcorus2 said:
    " if you do it too many times "...........you are right ! Best practice is; manual , once a month ............
    I disagree. Manually defragging the SSD once a month is too much. You should never manually defrag an SSD. For one thing, it isn't going to produce one single benefit and only increase your total TBW count.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 46,622
    Windows 10 Home 64bit 21H1 and insider builds
       #33

    NavyLCDR said:
    I disagree. Manually defragging the SSD once a month is too much. You should never manually defrag an SSD. For one thing, it isn't going to produce one single benefit and only increase your total TBW count.
    You may want to read this article The real and complete story - Does Windows defragment your SSD? - Scott Hanselman's Blog
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 17,281
    Windows 11 Pro
       #34

    I've read that article many times and have posted many links to it. Manually defragging an SSD "the old fashioned way" is a completely different process.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 46,622
    Windows 10 Home 64bit 21H1 and insider builds
       #35

    NavyLCDR said:
    I've read that article many times and have posted many links to it. Manually defragging an SSD "the old fashioned way" is a completely different process.
    Agree. Unless you do it with Windows Defrag.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 494
    Win 10 Pro x64 versions
       #36

    You beat me to it. There is good reason for a defrag on an SSD just not in a conventional old school way.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 1,903
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       #37

    " Manually defragging the SSD once a month "...............sorry , I mean TRIMMING ( !) once a month , manual .......
    ( of course no defragging on a SSD ,NEVER )
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 17,281
    Windows 11 Pro
       #38

    pietcorus2 said:
    " Manually defragging the SSD once a month "...............sorry , I mean TRIMMING ( !) once a month , manual .......
    ( of course no defragging on a SSD ,NEVER )
    That I can agree with. This is my data (500 GB) SSD. 87% fragmented. It has ZERO affect on performance.

    Defrag SSD-capture.jpg
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 2,755
    Windows 10 Home x64
       #39

    The best thing about Windows defragmenter is that it's quite optimized. It doesn't tend to do a lot of data movement even when compacting freespace.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 1,903
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       #40

    Trimming SSD manual ( only once a month )............NO defragging HDDs at all anymore , it just wears them out , your doing more harm then good to them............!!
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:33.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums