HDD is about to fail, bad sectors...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 18,045
    Win 10 Pro 64-bit v1909 - Build 18363 Custom ISO Install
       #21

    ashramnavivi said:
    I will mark it as solved within 24 hours period after I hear input and opinions of a few more people
    No rush.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 2,147
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit v22H2
       #22

    Normally you log onto Seagate support and after entering the drive serial number you will be given the date the warranty runs out. With a 2 year warranty that will be 2 years after the date of manufacture.

    Since you bought the drive in another country the only way to find out if you have a warranty or not is to call Seagate and ask them. You have nothing to lose.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 115
    Windows 10 Pro 2004
    Thread Starter
       #23

    MisterEd said:
    Normally you log onto Seagate support and after entering the drive serial number you will be given the date the warranty runs out. With a 2 year warranty that will be 2 years after the date of manufacture.

    Since you bought the drive in another country the only way to find out if you have a warranty or not is to call Seagate and ask them. You have nothing to lose.
    I'll probably do that but I will wait till my new HDD arrives first, then I will see what I'm gonna do with this failing one, as I have many possibilities.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 31,216
    10 Home x64 (22H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #24

    ashramnavivi said:
    ...before I replace it I would like to give it a shot and run full CHKDSK to see if anything can be fixed which is, highly unlikely...
    You already know that the drive is failing, and have ordered a replacement. Anything you do that writes to this drive risks making more sectors unreadable, and that includes running CHKDSK repairs.

    Unitl you have copied as many of your important files as possible from this drive you should keep its use to a minimum.
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 115
    Windows 10 Pro 2004
    Thread Starter
       #25

    Bree said:
    You already know that the drive is failing, and have ordered a replacement. Anything you do that writes to this drive risks making more sectors unreadable, and that includes running CHKDSK repairs.

    Unitl you have copied as many of your important files as possible from this drive you should keep its use to a minimum.
    You're right, I have one more question, when my new HDD arrives, should I do quick format or full format?
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 7,607
    Windows 10 Home 20H2
       #26

    @ashramnavivi, please right-click on the Start button --> Windows PowerShell.
    Run the following command and upload the "Output.txt" file created on the desktop.

    Code:
    Get-WinEvent -ProviderName 'Disk'|Format-Table -AutoSize > "$env:homeDrive$env:homePath\Desktop\Output.txt"

    ashramnavivi said:
    when my new HDD arrives, should I do quick format or full format?
    When I got my new HDD, I performed full format.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 115
    Windows 10 Pro 2004
    Thread Starter
       #27

    Matthew Wai said:
    @ashramnavivi, please right-click on the Start button --> Windows PowerShell.
    Run the following command and upload the "Output.txt" file created on the desktop.

    Code:
    Get-WinEvent -ProviderName 'Disk'|Format-Table -AutoSize > "$env:homeDrive$env:homePath\Desktop\Output.txt"

    When I got my new HDD, I performed full format.
    Why should I do that output thingy, and why full format is more preferred than quick format and how long did it take you to full format it?
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 42,512
    Win 10 Pro (22H2) (2nd PC is 22H2)
       #28

    When you have your new drive, plan ahead for the future - expect hardware to fail- it will, eventually. The question is- what preparations have you made for that?

    Two basic ideas:
    a. Again and again and again the routine use of disk imaging e.g. Macrium Reflect (free) is recommended here.

    The very act of imaging will flag up failures of integrity of the used part of the disk- so if you image regularly you get an early indication of corruption.

    b. Have a program monitor and report the state of your disks if found degraded against thresholds.

    E.g. Crystal Diskinfo (free).

    Early warning reduces the damage.

    These two are quite different checks. Thus you risk losing less and have more time to act.
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 7,607
    Windows 10 Home 20H2
       #29

    ashramnavivi said:
    Why should I do that output thingy, and why full format is more preferred than quick format and how long did it take you to full format it?
    The "Output.txt" will list all disk events that have happened on your Windows.
    Full format will check for bad sectors. In my case, it took one hour and seventeen minutes to perform full format on an 500-GB HDD.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 115
    Windows 10 Pro 2004
    Thread Starter
       #30

    Matthew Wai said:
    The "Output.txt" will list all disk events that have happened on your Windows.
    Full format will check for bad sectors. In my case, it took one hour and seventeen minutes to perform full format on an 500-GB HDD.
    Will they list all disk events for my primary system drive, or for all drives, because I want it to output disk events for either both of my drives or just D: drive which is my data drive (failing HDD)

    Do you recommend performing a full format on a 2TB drive?

    - - - Updated - - -

    dalchina said:
    When you have your new drive, plan ahead for the future - expect hardware to fail- it will, eventually. The question is- what preparations have you made for that?

    Two basic ideas:
    a. Again and again and again the routine use of disk imaging e.g. Macrium Reflect (free) is recommended here.

    The very act of imaging will flag up failures of integrity of the used part of the disk- so if you image regularly you get an early indication of corruption.

    b. Have a program monitor and report the state of your disks if found degraded against thresholds.

    E.g. Crystal Diskinfo (free).

    Early warning reduces the damage.

    These two are quite different checks. Thus you risk losing less and have more time to act.
    When it comes to this a. option, I will probably just use windows built in backup and restore (windows 7) option , and I will install either HD sentinel or crystaldiskinfo and have it always on my PC to monitor my drive's health & performance

    - - - Updated - - -

    Matthew Wai said:
    @ashramnavivi, please right-click on the Start button --> Windows PowerShell.
    Run the following command and upload the "Output.txt" file created on the desktop.

    Code:
    Get-WinEvent -ProviderName 'Disk'|Format-Table -AutoSize > "$env:homeDrive$env:homePath\Desktop\Output.txt"

    When I got my new HDD, I performed full format.
    I ran that command, and here's the Output.txt file ProviderName: diskTimeCreated Id LevelDisplayName Message - Pastebin.com
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:22.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums