My laptop is slow after power on.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 3,959
    Windows 7 HP 64 - Windows 10 Pro - Lubuntu
       #51

    W10 Tweaker said:
    While I completely agree that an SSD will magically transform this PC with reduced boot time and speed in launching apps the OP is convinced that his boot time was much faster, sometime in the recent past.

    A 5 minute plus boot does sound excessive for that PC even with a slow HDD, don't you agree?
    Normally a laptop HDD has a read speed of 100MB/s and my 8 year old Win 7 laptop with HDD used to boot in ~3 minutes.
    As einstein1969 has so many services, app and programs that load at startup and he has a slow HDD, the answer is yes.
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 1,806
    Windows 10 Pro 21H1 19043.1348
       #52

    Megahertz said:
    Normally a laptop HDD has a read speed of 100MB/s and my 8 year old Win 7 laptop with HDD used to boot in ~3 minutes.
    As einstein1969 has so many services, app and programs that load at startup and he has a slow HDD, the answer is yes.

    So just for clarification, you agree that without all those apps starting with Windows, the boot time on this PC should be much faster? This is why I'm recommending reducing those apps starting with Windows.

    How can we be certain that this excessive boot time is only being caused by the numerous apps starting with Windows besides just having them not start with Windows?

    So the options are; to install an SSD and see if boot time is satisfactory (it will be blazing fast compared to a slow HDD) or reduce the number of apps starting with Windows, confirm that there isn't anything corrupt, attain a respectable boot delay and then proceed with the SSD upgrade. A HDD usage at 99% is not an acceptable state.

    I've always chosen to prove the device before an upgrade. I'm not saying I disagree with upgrading first, it's just not my approach and something I've learned from decades of experience. Making a change to any device that hasn't been optimized and proven to be completely operational could bite you in the A$$.

    I will agree, the simplest and fastest solution is to install an SSD immediately, save all this effort and the OP might be satisfied.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 3,959
    Windows 7 HP 64 - Windows 10 Pro - Lubuntu
       #53

    W10 Tweaker said:
    So just for clarification, you agree that without all those apps starting with Windows, the boot time on this PC should be much faster? This is why I'm recommending reducing those apps starting with Windows.

    How can we be certain that this excessive boot time is only being caused by the numerous apps starting with Windows besides just having them not start with Windows?

    So the options are; to install an SSD and see if boot time is satisfactory (it will be blazing fast compared to a slow HDD) or reduce the number of apps starting with Windows, confirm that there isn't anything corrupt, attain a respectable boot delay and then proceed with the SSD upgrade.

    I've always chosen to prove the device before an upgrade. I'm not saying I disagree with upgrading first, it's just not my approach and something I've learned from decades of experience. Making a change to any device that hasn't been optimized and proven to be completely operational could bite you in the A$$.

    I will agree, the simplest and fastest solution is to install an SSD immediately, save all this effort and the OP might be satisfied.
    I'm saying that einstein1969 has a slow HDD and many services, app and programs that load at startup (Most of them he needs, others are "optional").
    With a SSD he will boot in less than a minute. My 8 year old Win 7 laptop with a SSD now boots in 25 sec.
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 1,806
    Windows 10 Pro 21H1 19043.1348
       #54

    Megahertz said:
    I'm saying that einstein1969 has a slow HDD and many services, app and programs that load at startup (Most of them he needs, others are "optional").
    With a SSD he will boot in less than a minute. My 8 year old Win 7 laptop with a SSD now boots in 25 sec.

    Thanks for the clarification.

    I also revived an old PC (1st gen i7) with the installation of an SSD. Boot time went from a few minutes to about 30 seconds.

    Although my experience with Windows started back in the 80's I must concede most of my experience was more hardware, video and data transport related.

    I must bow to many of the members here for their experience with Windows, including Megahertz. They are very knowledgeable people.

    If you plan to install an SSD, moving ahead with the installation may be the fastest and easiest solution just not my first choice.
    Last edited by W10 Tweaker; 27 Jul 2020 at 06:33.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 857
    windows 10
       #55

    Hi @einstein1969

    If you are still running into this problem, take a boot trace using Windows Performance Recorder. There are many threads here you can search.

    compresse the trace and share it for analysis.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 190
    Window 10 Home 20H2 x64 (build SO 19042.1052)
    Thread Starter
       #56

    Hi to all,

    I have disabled and delayed scheduled task. But after reboot the time is little bigger 5:50 min.

    soon I will trace the boot with procmonitor.

    My laptop is slow after power on.-clipboard.png

    - - - Updated - - -

    zinou said:
    Hi @einstein1969

    If you are still running into this problem, take a boot trace using Windows Performance Recorder. There are many threads here you can search.

    compresse the trace and share it for analysis.
    Thank, if anyone can follow me I do it.

    I do not know where to start
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 857
    windows 10
       #57

    einstein1969 said:
    Thank, if anyone can follow me I do it.

    I do not know where to start
    1. Download and Install windows Performance Toolkit https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...ed/adk-install . Choose "Download the Windows ADK for Windows 10, version 2004".
    2. Just install the "Windows Performance Toolkit" package.
    3. Record a trace using Windows Performance Recorder using these options: JustPaste.it - Share Text & Images the Easy Way
    4. Compress the ".ETL" file and the".NGENPDB" folder (very important)
    5. Share it through Send Large Files - Free Secure File Transfer - TransferNow or any other file sharing platform.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 190
    Window 10 Home 20H2 x64 (build SO 19042.1052)
    Thread Starter
       #58

    Hi, These are the screenshots of processmonitor tree after disabling/delayed the scheduled tasks.

    My laptop is slow after power on.-clipboard.png

    My laptop is slow after power on.-clipboard.png

    My laptop is slow after power on.-clipboard.png

    My laptop is slow after power on.-clipboard.png

    My laptop is slow after power on.-clipboard.png

    My laptop is slow after power on.-clipboard.png

    My laptop is slow after power on.-clipboard.png

    My laptop is slow after power on.-clipboard.png

    The time is 5:50

    My laptop is slow after power on.-clipboard.png

    what else should i do?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Megahertz said:
    The number of partitions doesn't speed up the HDD.
    The cache only seed up the wright operation. Leave as it is.

    Most of you solution is a SSD. As your HDD is slow, a SSD will be 7.5 times faster. (550/72)
    Sorry, I meant to say that I have a single large partition and the disk is about 75% full. In these cases the disc head moves a lot and takes longer. The transfer rate is also higher in the initial part of the disc. I did some tests and reorganized the disc and it seems that now the disc is freer. But I'm still not satisfied. I keep doing the last tests because disassembling the laptop is not easy for me, I'm afraid of doing damage.

    My laptop is slow after power on.-hddtune1.png

    My laptop is slow after power on.-clipboard.png

    The new test:

    My laptop is slow after power on.-cristal2.png

    - - - Updated - - -

    zinou said:
    1. Download and Install windows Performance Toolkit https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...ed/adk-install . Choose "Download the Windows ADK for Windows 10, version 2004".
    2. Just install the "Windows Performance Toolkit" package.
    3. Record a trace using Windows Performance Recorder using these options: JustPaste.it - Share Text & Images the Easy Way
    4. Compress the ".ETL" file and the".NGENPDB" folder (very important)
    5. Share it through Send Large Files - Free Secure File Transfer - TransferNow or any other file sharing platform.
    Hi and thank you, I have windows 1909. I have to install ADK versione 2004?
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 857
    windows 10
       #59

    Yes you can install version 2004
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 190
    Window 10 Home 20H2 x64 (build SO 19042.1052)
    Thread Starter
       #60

    Hi, I have used Windows Performance Recorder , This is the result:

    WPR Files.7z
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:47.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums