many program "not responding" errors since 2004 update Windows 10


  1. Posts : 5
    Win 10 Pro 64
       #1

    many program "not responding" errors since 2004 update Windows 10


    I didn't apply the May 2020 update (version 2004) until yesterday, and have had a LOT of programs "not responding" and a few "restartings" that took many minutes. This morning all was well, and then I tried to open EDGE, and I got the turning circle. After that, I couldn't do much. I was allowed to open some folders, but not start any software (i.e. nothing happened when I clicked on them) and all the while, I was getting the spinning circle in the Edge window. After I finally forced a reboot, things worked OK for several hours. I just tried to open Edge again, and had to reboot again. I know it sounds like an Edge issue, but there have been more problems. Last night, I couldn't even force a restart, I ended up turning off power. I thought I hade traced it to ACRONIS because it was doing a file back up, but today I have disabled all back ups, and still having issues from time to time.

    My Win 10 Pro 64 bit Version is 2004, build 19041.329. Lenovo m710 desktop, 16 GB RAM 512GB SSD a few USB drives & a hybrid internal data drive. Sometimes (like right now) everything is working great. Then I'll try to open a program and I get the circle, or I'll try to close a program, and get the circle. I read online to disable SYSMAIN service and indexing, and did that. Still have issues.
    Before all this happened, I would occasionally get the spinning circle when right clicking to bring up the context menu, and occasionally a program would hang when I closed it ("not responding") and I would use Task Manager to close it. I run Malwarebyte & Win Defender and no malware is detected. TIA!
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 4
    Win 10 64-bit Home v2004
       #2

    I have been having similar problems since installing v2004 (19041.329) on my Win 10 64-bit Home. Specifically, responses to actions becoming VERY slow, and eventually just hanging - progressing to complete freezing a few minutes later. I've also had difficulty in shutting down and had to resort to disconnecting the power lead. If I do manage to use the Restart process, it takes about 3 minutes (instead of seconds) and runs though a list of services being closed down individually.
    However, I THINK I've now discovered the trigger for this problem (as it has happened on about half the days since the start) - it seems to be only on the occasions that I have opened Opera window(s) - used for live streaming of TV - AND left them open while I'm away from the PC for a few hours; on return the problem is present.
    I can't account for this behaviour (and can work around it) but I presume that there is some incompatibility between v2004 and Opera (I do have the latest stable version freshly installed).
    Has anyone else come across this issue?
      My Computer

  3. OldNavyGuy's Avatar
    Posts : 229
    Windows 10 Pro 1909
       #3

    You have 10 days to roll back to your previous version of Windows 10.

    Settings > Update & Security > Recovery

    In the Go back to the previous version of Windows 10 section, click on Get started

    There are several issues with 2004 -

    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...indows-10-2004

    Always prudent to make a disk image before doing an upgrade, just in case the recovery goes sideways, or you don't find an issue until after the 10-day period expires.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 4
    Win 10 64-bit Home v2004
       #4

    I installed on 11 June, so that deadline has passed. I wasn't aware of such a limit.
    I don't have any other 2004 problems and can manage this one, so I'm happy to stick anyway.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 32,891
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       #5

    There is typically a 10 day rollback period before windows.old is deleted.

    The rollback period can be modified.

    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...indows-10-2004
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...indows-10-2004

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...edback-hub-app
      My Computer

  6. OldNavyGuy's Avatar
    Posts : 229
    Windows 10 Pro 1909
       #6

    zbook said:
    The rollback period can be modified.
    I didn't see anything in the links you provided that shows how to do it.
      My Computer



  7. Posts : 32,891
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       #7

    OldNavyGuy said:
    I didn't see anything in the links you provided that shows how to do it.

    See this tutorial:
    Go Back to the Previous Version of Windows in Windows 10
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 32,891
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       #8

    OldNavyGuy said:
    I didn't see anything in the links you provided that shows how to do it.
    See this tutorial too:

    Set Number of Days can Go Back to Previous Version of Windows
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 5
    Win 10 Pro 64
    Thread Starter
       #9

    OldNavyGuy said:
    You have 10 days to roll back to your previous version of Windows 10.
    ...In the Go back to the previous version of Windows 10 section, click on Get started
    ..
    There are several issues with 2004 -
    ...
    I rolled back. Most things work better, although twice when I click http links within Excel I got "not responding", but could close the window OK.
    BTW, I'm an old Air Force guy ;-)
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 4
    Win 10 64-bit Home v2004
       #10

    Solved?


    John Edwards said:
    I have been having similar problems since installing v2004 (19041.329) on my Win 10 64-bit Home. Specifically, responses to actions becoming VERY slow, and eventually just hanging - progressing to complete freezing a few minutes later. I've also had difficulty in shutting down and had to resort to disconnecting the power lead. If I do manage to use the Restart process, it takes about 3 minutes (instead of seconds) and runs though a list of services being closed down individually.
    However, I THINK I've now discovered the trigger for this problem (as it has happened on about half the days since the start) - it seems to be only on the occasions that I have opened Opera window(s) - used for live streaming of TV - AND left them open while I'm away from the PC for a few hours; on return the problem is present.
    I can't account for this behaviour (and can work around it) but I presume that there is some incompatibility between v2004 and Opera (I do have the latest stable version freshly installed).
    Has anyone else come across this issue?
    I have good news. After writing yesterday I discovered that Opera has produced a new version (69). I made a point of completely deleting all traces of earlier versions before downloading this and rebooting - and apparently the problem has disappeared. Time will tell..............

    - - - Updated - - -

    John Edwards said:
    I have good news. After writing yesterday I discovered that Opera has produced a new version (69). I made a point of completely deleting all traces of earlier versions before downloading this and rebooting - and apparently the problem has disappeared. Time will tell..............
    I spoke too soon! It's back.
      My Computer


 

Related Threads
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:58.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums