Installer folder cleanup. Clean msp & msi patches marked as superseded

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

  1. Posts : 56,062
    Multi-boot Windows 10/11 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #21

    Thread here from about 2 years ago with stories and warnings about using Patch Cleaner. I remember trying it and having issues. Since no development from 2016, I would imagine all the caveats are still there.

    Can I Safely Delete These Files in the Windows Installer Cache?
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 7,087
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       #22

    f14tomcat said:
    Thread here from about 2 years ago with stories and warnings about using Patch Cleaner. I remember trying it and having issues. Since no development from 2016, I would imagine all the caveats are still there.

    Can I Safely Delete These Files in the Windows Installer Cache?
    That's my thread. I've used Wise Disk Cleaner since with no problems and retired Patch Cleaner. I haven't bothered cleaning the installation files since but I might try some of the tricks in this thread. Note also files in the LCU folder which need to be deleted manually How to clean files in C:\Windows\servicing\LCU
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 56,062
    Multi-boot Windows 10/11 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #23

    Steve C said:
    That's my thread. I've used Wise Disk Cleaner since with no problems and retired Patch Cleaner. I haven't bothered cleaning the installation files since but I might try some of the tricks in this thread. Note also files in the LCU folder which need to be deleted manually How to clean files in C:\Windows\servicing\LCU
    Yes it is. I, too, delete the LCU folder, after a backup. I thought there were dovetailed comments and examples from most of the same posters, that's why I linked it here.

    Cheers!
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 24,602
    10 Home x64 (21H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #24

    Steve C said:
    ...Note also files in the LCU folder which need to be deleted manually How to clean files in C:\Windows\servicing\LCU
    That one at least we all agree is safe to clean out.

    For completeness in this thread, we should point out that there is a 'C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files' folder too. Of the 156 items that the WICleanup tool listed as 'orphaned' on my machine, three were in that folder.
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 7,087
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       #25

    Having perused this thread, it's obvious there is a need for a simple to use reliable utility to prune the installer directory. I'm surprised there is no utility from Microsoft to do so.
    Last edited by Steve C; 26 Jun 2020 at 16:17.
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 889
    W10-2009 19042.1348
       #26

    Steve C said:
    I'm surprised there is no utility from Microsoft to do so.
    I'm afraid I'm not - they haven't cared about wasting storage for some time. Its not the cost of the storage that particularly annoys me, its the time wasted imaging unneeded 'stuff'.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 16,012
    Win 10 Pro 64-bit v1909 - Build 18363 Custom ISO Install
       #27

    mngerhold said:
    I'm afraid I'm not - they haven't cared about wasting storage for some time. Its not the cost of the storage that particularly annoys me, its the time wasted imaging unneeded 'stuff'.
    I totally agree!
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 5,084
    21H1 64 Bit Home
       #28

    Well I don't know if someone wants to test this:

    Installer folder cleanup. Clean msp & msi patches marked as superseded-expert-mode-dism-x64.jpg

    I cannot test because there's nothing to clean.

    I've used this utility for the last two years but you need to understand settings.

    Anyway for the cleanup it's a scan preview before the real clean is done so you can check results.

    RE: MS Office and Adobe products issues - I don't use any so it's no problem.

    Dism++ | New Windows Utility - Portable.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 123,498
    Windows 11 Pro (x64) 21H2 Build 22000.708
       #29

    f14tomcat said:
    Yes it is. I, too, delete the LCU folder, after a backup. I thought there were dovetailed comments and examples from most of the same posters, that's why I linked it here.

    Cheers!
    Never knew about this folder TC ....but I checked it this morning and it is there, but its empty. So guess something is cleaning it for me...LoL
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 889
    W10-2009 19042.1348
       #30

    LCU folder: the following will (eventually) clear up old entries:
    Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase

    but it really likes to hang on to them for a while.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:53.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums