Found something new in Build 2004 with Defragment and Optimize Drives

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 3,972
    Windows 10 Pro x64, Various Linux Builds, Networking, Storage, Cybersecurity Specialty.
       #1

    Found something new in Build 2004 with Defragment and Optimize Drives


    Hi all -

    I noticed textual changes in the Defragment and Optimize Drives utility in Build 2004.

    Look and read closely -

    Found something new in Build 2004 with Defragment and Optimize Drives-odb2004.jpg

    And after the 2004 Feature Update -

    Found something new in Build 2004 with Defragment and Optimize Drives-oda2004.jpg

    The wording has changed.

    Looking further -

    The following article puts everything into perspective.

    Windows 10 Alert: Defragger bug defrags SSD Drives too often

    Taken together, it would appear that the Optimize and Defragment Drives feature is still not correctly recording the last time a drive has been Optimized.

    IMHO, Microsoft has to finally correct this - once and for all!

    Opinions?

      My Computer


  2. Posts : 27,484
    Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 21H1
       #2

    I'm just going to comment on "Microsoft has to finally correct this - once and for all !!

    They should concentrate a release on just fixes.

    There are so many things we see time and time again. Wireless networks dropping, password requests in safe mode that don't work, what ever that line is that the organization is managing some options, the endless I can't see a device on my network (SMB1 enabled). I bet there are a dozen things if we put our mind to it that just keep happening.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 3,972
    Windows 10 Pro x64, Various Linux Builds, Networking, Storage, Cybersecurity Specialty.
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Caledon Ken said:
    They should concentrate a release on just fixes.
    I couldn't agree with you more!

    Thanks.



    P.S. Problems with SMB1 - really? I'll take a look.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 3,972
    Windows 10 Pro x64, Various Linux Builds, Networking, Storage, Cybersecurity Specialty.
    Thread Starter
       #4

    Unreal.

    I've been watching the Optimize and Defragment utility and every 15-30 minutes it says that my SSD "Needs optimization"
    So I ran it and then disabled all scheduling. A few minutes later, the same message.

    Found something new in Build 2004 with Defragment and Optimize Drives-capture.jpg

    This is crazy!

    Task Scheduler shows Disabled.

    How to disable automatic drive optimization in Windows 10 - gHacks Tech News

    I hope it stays that way but I will check the logs!


      My Computer


  5. Posts : 3,873
    Windows 10 preview 64-bit Home
       #5

    Compumind said:
    Unreal.

    I've been watching the Optimize and Defragment utility and every 15-30 minutes it says that my SSD "Needs optimization"
    So I ran it and then disabled all scheduling. A few minutes later, the same message.

    Found something new in Build 2004 with Defragment and Optimize Drives-capture.jpg

    This is crazy!

    Task Scheduler shows Disabled.

    How to disable automatic drive optimization in Windows 10 - gHacks Tech News

    I hope it stays that way but I will check the logs!


    Checked optimize drive and got this before and after a reboot.

    Found something new in Build 2004 with Defragment and Optimize Drives-screenshot_2.png
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 3,972
    Windows 10 Pro x64, Various Linux Builds, Networking, Storage, Cybersecurity Specialty.
    Thread Starter
       #6

    @Fabler2 -

    Did you run it, see the results, reboot and check again to see if the results changed?

    Just curious.

      My Computer


  7. Posts : 3,873
    Windows 10 preview 64-bit Home
       #7

    Compumind said:
    @Fabler2 -

    Did you run it, see the results, reboot and check again to see if the results changed?

    Just curious.

    Was thinking of leaving it to see if it will show 2 days but Ill run it and reboot if you wish.
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 3,972
    Windows 10 Pro x64, Various Linux Builds, Networking, Storage, Cybersecurity Specialty.
    Thread Starter
       #8

    Fabler2 said:
    Was thinking of leaving it to see if it will show 2 days but Ill run it and reboot if you wish.
    Go with your plan.

      My Computer


  9. Posts : 3,873
    Windows 10 preview 64-bit Home
       #9

    Compumind said:
    Go with your plan.

    Ok. Will see what shows tomorrow and post result.
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 3,873
    Windows 10 preview 64-bit Home
       #10

    Dang it all, just realised on dev ring so will reboot to 2004 production. Apology
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:44.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums