Temp Folder Emptied?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 18
    Windows 10
       #1

    Temp Folder Emptied?


    Does the Temp folder get emptied regularly? I have a screensaver that stores the options in the Temp folder, and every weekend I have to setup the options again. Something is clearing the folder out every weekend, I just had to go in and redo the setting again this morning, and I have no idea what it is. I do not remember setting anything up to empty the folder. If anyone has any suggestions of things that I can check, please let me know. Setting up the screen saver is not hard, but it just bugs me what is doing this. I am not sure how long this has been going on, but I never remember this happening on my old computer.

    Thanks.

    -- Shawn

    P.S. My Windows Version Number is 1903, and the old computer was an older version (I think it might have been the previous version.)
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 342
    Windows 10
       #2

    Screen savers run from the System32 folder so i wouldnt trust anything like that. Get rid.
      My Computer

  3. NMI's Avatar
    NMI
    Posts : 822
    Windows 10 Pro, Version 20H2
       #3

    Perhaps you've set temporary files to be deleted every week at Settings, System, Storage, Configure Storage Sense:

    How to Enable or Disable Storage Sense to Delete Temporary Files in Windows 10
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 18
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #4

    Pluginz said:
    Screen savers run from the System32 folder so i wouldnt trust anything like that. Get rid.
    Thanks for the response.

    The ".scr" file is in the SysWOW64 folder, it just saves an ".Options" file in the Temp folder, which keeps getting deleted and resetting all the option to the default. I have been using this screensaver for about 5 years now on 3 different computers, and this is the first time I have had any problems with it.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 342
    Windows 10
       #5

    Windows 'Disk Cleanup' set on auto would definitely remove all the files regular if the option was possible.
    Perhaps you should look into getting a dedicated screen saver that installs direct into C instead of using an App style version that uses the temp file for its file usage. Im just thinking of all options here
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 18
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #6

    NMI said:
    Perhaps you've set temporary files to be deleted every week at Settings, System, Storage, Configure Storage Sense:

    How to Enable or Disable Storage Sense to Delete Temporary Files in Windows 10
    Thanks for the thought. I checked, and do not have Storage Sense enabled on the computer.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Pluginz said:
    Windows 'Disk Cleanup' set on auto would definitely remove all the files regular if the option was possible.
    Perhaps you should look into getting a dedicated screen saver that installs direct into C instead of using an App style version that uses the temp file for its file usage. Im just thinking of all options here
    I will check that out. When I started having this problem I looked into a replacement, but could not find anything else that had what I was looking for.

    It is a Matrix screensaver that has the digital rain falling down, while you are flying though it. I like the 3D effect of the rain as it is both falling, and it is moving towards you. The only place that I could find this was in a screensave from 2010 by SE-Screensavers.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 342
    Windows 10
       #7

    Right, with you
    Try manually moving the file into the System32 location and see how it works. If it fails you can easily remove the files after
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 18
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #8

    Pluginz said:
    Right, with you
    Try manually moving the file into the System32 location and see how it works. If it fails you can easily remove the files after
    Thanks for the thought. I tried, but no good, as soon as I move the file from the Temp folder, all the options go back to default.

    Is there some way to make a file or a folder so that it can't be deleted except by the administrator, maybe with a password or something?
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 342
    Windows 10
       #9

    Well, on a first run of the program it wouldnt have set a location for the temp file. This program you run, does it have any other files running along side with it? One of these ini or other config files might have temp location script you can change so it defaults into another location.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 18
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #10

    Pluginz said:
    Well, on a first run of the program it wouldnt have set a location for the temp file. This program you run, does it have any other files running along side with it? One of these ini or other config files might have temp location script you can change so it defaults into another location.
    Thanks. There is just the single "SE-ScreenSavers.scr.Options" file in a folder entitled "SE-ScreenSavers".

    I read somewhere to try and go to the Security Tab in the properties window and to deny access to everyone. It now does not allow me to delete the file, unless I take ownership, but I guess I will have to see if it also will keep the computer from deleting the file.
      My Computer


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:24.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums