Processes causing high CPU use in Windows 10

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 25
    Windows 10
       #1

    Processes causing high CPU use in Windows 10


    Hello.

    I had mentioned in an earlier post that since I upgraded a laptop to Windows 10, the CPU fan kept running on high all the time. I found out the cause of the problem were these two background processes:

    From Microsoft Background Task Host - backgroundTaskHost.exe

    From Microsoft Download/Upload Host - BackgroundTransferHost.exe

    They are both located in the C:\Windows\System32 folder and whenever they run, which happens at seemingly random times, CPU utilization goes up to 60 or even 80%.

    Does anybody know what these processes are for, or how to disable them to prevent them from running?

    Thank you.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 441
    Windows 10
       #2

    tony910 said:
    Hello.

    I had mentioned in an earlier post that since I upgraded a laptop to Windows 10, the CPU fan kept running on high all the time. I found out the cause of the problem were these two background processes:

    From Microsoft Background Task Host - backgroundTaskHost.exe

    From Microsoft Download/Upload Host - BackgroundTransferHost.exe

    They are both located in the C:\Windows\System32 folder and whenever they run, which happens at seemingly random times, CPU utilization goes up to 60 or even 80%.

    Does anybody know what these processes are for, or how to disable them to prevent them from running?

    Thank you.
    Process Explorer should tell you what the problem is.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 360
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       #3

    Go to Settings, Update & security, Windows Update, Advanced options,
    Choose how updates are delivered, Updates from more than one place.

    Turn the switch OFF.

    Now your laptop won't be revving the CPU to share updates in the background with other computers.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 25
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #4

    Bazz said:
    Process Explorer should tell you what the problem is.
    Yes, I do have that program, thank you.

    But I'm not trying to determine which processes are causing high CPU use. I already know it's those two processes. Rather, I want to find out if I can prevent them from running.

    Antilope said:
    Go to Settings, Update & security, Windows Update, Advanced options,
    Choose how updates are delivered, Updates from more than one place.

    Turn the switch OFF.

    Now your laptop won't be revving the CPU to share updates in the background with other computers.
    It did occur to me that it had something to do with that setting. So the switch is already off, but they keep popping up.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 360
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       #5

    With the switch set to OFF your laptop will still get updates, it just won't share them with anyone else.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 441
    Windows 10
       #6

    tony910 said:
    Yes, I do have that program, thank you.

    But I'm not trying to determine which processes are causing high CPU use. I already know it's those two processes. Rather, I want to find out if I can prevent them from running.



    It did occur to me that it had something to do with that setting. So the switch is already off, but they keep popping up.
    It's probably something in your startup disable everything but your AV.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 25
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #7

    Antilope said:
    With the switch set to OFF your laptop will still get updates, it just won't share them with anyone else.
    No, I meant the processes still pop up, as in the Task Manager.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 25
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #8

    Well, I still haven't found out what these two processes are for. One reply that I did get in another forum saying that these processes "finish building install caches, optimizing system files, and downloading patches" seemed very vague.

    I also found other instances of people noticing a process called "Photos Background Task Host" use up a lot of CPU, and another one who noticed a process called "Facebook Background Task Host" in Windows 8.1, although this one did not specifically mention that there was a high CPU use.

    Could these two processes have something to do with Windows Store apps? Who can tell me... ?
      My Computer


  9. Nus
    Posts : 242
    Win 10 Pro 64bit
       #9

    tony910 said:
    Could these two processes have something to do with Windows Store apps? Who can tell me... ?
    Yes, they do what they say on the tin: host apps running in the background.

    Go to: Settings->Privacy->Background Apps and turn all that nasty crap off.

    Restart your PC and see if the situation has improved.

    If not then something else is running in the background.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 605
    Windows 10
       #10

    Nus said:
    Yes, they do what they say on the tin: host apps running in the background.

    Go to: Settings->Privacy->Background Apps and turn all that nasty crap off.

    Restart your PC and see if the situation has improved.

    If not then something else is running in the background.
    If I turn "all that nasty crap" off, will apps still be useable, update and the like when I use them? I don't need these apps working in the background, but I want them to work as usual when used.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:49.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums