Sluggish laptop -- any suggestions?

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 39,953
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       #51

    1) Uninstall everything AMD using Display driver uninstaller and install new drivers from the AMD website.

    2) On the AMD web site be sure the "clean install" box is checked and only install the graphics driver.

    Official Display Driver Uninstaller DDU Download

    Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 18.0.1.9 (or newer version if available)

    Display Driver Uninstaller: How to use - Windows 7 Help Forums

    http://support.amd.com/en-us

    3) Please uninstall Oracle Virtual Box during the troubleshooting process




    Code:
    Name	Radeon RX Vega M GL Graphics
    PNP Device ID	PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_694E&SUBSYS_83BB103C&REV_C0\4&24C842DC&0&0008
    Adapter Type	AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x694E), Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. compatible
    Adapter Description	Radeon RX Vega M GL Graphics
    Adapter RAM	(1,048,576) bytes
    Installed Drivers	C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\c0338121.inf_amd64_85e088bb254b43ed\B337654\aticfx64.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\c0338121.inf_amd64_85e088bb254b43ed\B337654\aticfx64.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\c0338121.inf_amd64_85e088bb254b43ed\B337654\aticfx64.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\c0338121.inf_amd64_85e088bb254b43ed\B337654\amdxc64.dll
    Driver Version	25.20.15008.2
    INF File	oem64.inf (ati2mtag_VegaMDS section)
    Color Planes	Not Available
    Color Table Entries	Not Available
    Resolution	Not Available
    Bits/Pixel	Not Available
    Memory Address	0xE0000000-0xF01FFFFF
    Memory Address	0xF0000000-0xF01FFFFF
    I/O Port	0x0000EF00-0x0000EFFF
    Memory Address	0xDE400000-0xDE4FFFFF
    IRQ Channel	IRQ 4294967282
    Driver	C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERSTORE\FILEREPOSITORY\C0338121.INF_AMD64_85E088BB254B43ED\B337654\ATIKMPAG.SYS (25.20.15008.2, 584.42 KB (598,448 bytes), 1/16/2019 10:51 PM)

    Code:
    atikmdag.sys Tue Dec 25 06:27:13 2018 (5C222221)
    atikmpag.sys Tue Dec 25 06:16:05 2018 (5C221F85)
    Code:
    VBoxDrv.sys  Thu Oct 10 13:45:05 2019 (5D9F7C31)
    Code:
    VMMR0.r0     Thu Oct 10 13:45:12 2019 (5D9F7C38)
    Code:
    VBoxDDR0.r0  Thu Oct 10 13:44:31 2019 (5D9F7C0F)
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 136
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #52

    I will uninstall the ATI stuff. But is it really necessary to uninstall VirtualBox too? That's the basis of my work right now.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 39,953
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       #53

    It is not absolutely necessary to uninstall V Box.

    AMD GPU drivers were the cause of the BSOD.

    The latest BSOD occurred while using V Box.

    At sometime it would be useful in evaluating computer performance.

    The software can be reinstalled.

    Computer stability / instability (BSOD and unexpected shutdowns / restarts) and performance can be evaluated.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 136
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #54

    OK. I can't do it tonight or during the workday tomorrow, but I'll try to get to it tomorrow night.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 136
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #55

    Bloody hell. I finally got a chance to do this, and DDU told me to reboot to safe mode. I did, and I found it would not accept my normal login password. Apparently it wants my Microsoft account password, which I don't know offhand since I use a password manager. Which of course I can't access until I log in. I tried changing my Microsoft password using my phone, and that still didn't work. (Apparently it requires a wired network connection, and my laptop doesn't have one.)

    So I can't log in, and I can't get out of the safe mode login prompt. I tried booting into the diagnostic mode and selected Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart, but I don't see anyway to turn OFF safe mode from there.

    I don't have a Windows install disc, nor a Recovery USB key. I have an image backup, but I would prefer not to restore from it, since it's about a week old. I may have to resort to that. Except I can find my old Acronis backup recovery boot key, but not the boot key for Macrium, which I use now. 😡

    So I'm stuck in this Catch-22 and I don't know how to escape. Help!?
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 56,043
    Multi-boot Windows 10/11 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #56

    garyfritz said:
    Bloody hell. I finally got a chance to do this, and DDU told me to reboot to safe mode. I did, and I found it would not accept my normal login password. Apparently it wants my Microsoft account password, which I don't know offhand since I use a password manager. Which of course I can't access until I log in. I tried changing my Microsoft password using my phone, and that still didn't work. (Apparently it requires a wired network connection, and my laptop doesn't have one.)

    So I can't log in, and I can't get out of the safe mode login prompt. I tried booting into the diagnostic mode and selected Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart, but I don't see anyway to turn OFF safe mode from there.

    I don't have a Windows install disc, nor a Recovery USB key. I have an image backup, but I would prefer not to restore from it, since it's about a week old. I may have to resort to that. Except I can find my old Acronis backup recovery boot key, but not the boot key for Macrium, which I use now. 

    So I'm stuck in this Catch-22 and I don't know how to escape. Help!?
    Try this in the Tutorial Boot into Safe Mode on Windows 10

    Option One, Step #6. To get you booted back in Normal Mode. Read all the top part of the tutorial first, so you'll understand where it's taking you.

    Sluggish laptop -- any suggestions?-2019-11-14_12h55_26.png
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 136
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #57

    Thanks, but I tried that already. It just takes me back to the safe mode login prompt.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 56,043
    Multi-boot Windows 10/11 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #58

    When you set up your MS account, did you also set up a PIN number? That would work, if you remember it.

    Also, can you get to your MS account on the PC you are using now? If so, tell it you forgot your password, and let it walk you thru resetting it to a new one. And write it down. Then, use the new one to get logged on to the Safe Mode machine.
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 136
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #59

    A thought: could I burn a Windows boot DVD on my son's desktop system and use that to repair my laptop? Of course, I have no optical drive... But I could find one.

    - - - Updated - - -

    f14tomcat said:
    When you set up your MS account, did you also set up a PIN number?
    Not that I remember, and the logical candidate didn't work. Neither did resetting my Microsoft password through my phone. I believe both of these login methods require a hardwired network connection, which I don't have.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 56,043
    Multi-boot Windows 10/11 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #60

    garyfritz said:
    A thought: could I burn a Windows boot DVD on my son's desktop system and use that to repair my laptop? Of course, I have no optical drive... But I could find one.

    - - - Updated - - -


    Not that I remember, and the logical candidate didn't work. Neither did resetting my Microsoft password through my phone. I believe both of these login methods require a hardwired network connection, which I don't have.
    Hardwired, if you mean Ethernet cable, is not required. WiFi is just fine.
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:54.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums