Event error 257 - MS Windows Defrag

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 897
    windows 10 professional 64-bit, 21H2
       #1

    Event error 257 - MS Windows Defrag


    I have a solid state drive (although I have forgotten the brand & model), which I have had for almost 3 years. This morning, when checking the event log, I found this error:

    Date: 10/17/2019 11:49:36 PMType: ErrorEvent: 257Source: Microsoft-Windows-DefragThe volume PortableBaseLayer (C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Containers\BaseImages\5d343fbd-856b-46b5-a4f3-797bd4a539a0\BaseLayer) was not optimized because an error was encountered: The disk was disconnected from the system. (0x89000011)

    Although, I never set up a defrag or optimize, Windows apparently did it on its own.
    Event error 257 - MS Windows Defrag-clipboard01.png


    Three questions, please:
    1. How do I determine what make & model SSD do I have, because I can't seem to find it under System Information?
    2. I know that you're not supposed to defrag a SSD & I never set up a defrag or optimize (which I assume is TRIM for an SSD)? Do I have to worry about this error?
    3. I have 2 external hard drives that I alternate to save backup images. I only have 1 connected at a time. When this "Defrag/optimize" ran, only Drive D was connected. Could this be the cause of the error, although I've never seen this error before & have always only had 1 external drive connected?

    Thank you in advance,
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 2,078
    Windows 10 Pro
       #2

    Optimize is MS trim....which it uses to basically defrag the SSD.
    How to Check if TRIM Is Enabled for Your SSD (and Enable It if It Isn’t)
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 897
    windows 10 professional 64-bit, 21H2
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Plankton said:
    Optimize is MS trim....which it uses to basically defrag the SSD.
    How to Check if TRIM Is Enabled for Your SSD (and Enable It if It Isn’t)
    Thank you for your quick reply. I can tell that TRIM is enabled. However, I still don't know how to find the make & model of my SSD or whether to worry about the event error.
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 8,622
    Mac OS Catalina
       #4

    You can run msinfo32 from cmd.exe. The system automatically trims the drive. You do not need to manually run.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 13,934
    Windows 10 Pro X64 21H1 19043.1503
       #5

    As bro67 said, msinfo32 will give you the info:

    Event error 257 - MS Windows Defrag-image.png
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 897
    windows 10 professional 64-bit, 21H2
    Thread Starter
       #6

    Ztruker said:
    As bro67 said, msinfo32 will give you the info:

    Event error 257 - MS Windows Defrag-image.png
    Thank you all for your replies. I had looked at System Information, but didn't expand Storage & then Disks.. Sorry about that. Now I know. My only question now is: what about the event error message?
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 8,622
    Mac OS Catalina
       #7

    phrab said:
    Thank you all for your replies. I had looked at System Information, but didn't expand Storage & then Disks.. Sorry about that. Now I know. My only question now is: what about the event error message?
    Please post that info from the msinfo32 for all to see and post the logs. A simple search of the error code at the end of the message will get you links like this one to explain it better. Microsoft-Windows-Defrag Error: 257 - Windows Events - Spiceworks. It usually is because of a bad SATA cable or messed up pin header on the drive.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 897
    windows 10 professional 64-bit, 21H2
    Thread Starter
       #8

    bro67 said:
    Please post that info from the msinfo32 for all to see and post the logs. A simple search of the error code at the end of the message will get you links like this one to explain it better. Microsoft-Windows-Defrag Error: 257 - Windows Events - Spiceworks. It usually is because of a bad SATA cable or messed up pin header on the drive.
    Thank you for your reply. I apologize for not responding sooner. I had some other problems that I had to fix & forgot I had posted here already. My drive is solid state, so I don't know why Windows would even try to defrag it. I'm in the process of generating an msinfo32 log & will post when it's finished. msinfo32.exe crashed twice, & when I tried to upload the msinfo32log.nfo, I got a message here that it was an invalid file. Then I got a message that the file was too big.



    Should I change the automatic defrag settings:
    Event error 257 - MS Windows Defrag-image.png
    Last edited by phrab; 25 Oct 2019 at 13:32.
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 11,360
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 21H2 Build 19044.1706
       #9

    This discussion has been about the SSD but the error message concerns a Virtual hard drive. There has been no reference to how Defrag relates to that.
    Defragment a Virtual Hard Disk - VMware

    Denis
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 897
    windows 10 professional 64-bit, 21H2
    Thread Starter
       #10

    Try3 said:
    This discussion has been about the SSD but the error message concerns a Virtual hard drive. There has been no reference to how Defrag relates to that. Denis
    msinfo32.7z
    I was able to zip the msinfo32.nfo file. Does this help?
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:00.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums