Long pause during start up


  1. Posts : 19
    window 10 Pro
       #1

    Long pause during start up


    Hi, i have just upgraded an older HP laptop to win 10 Home 1903. (Clean Install)

    All has gone well except that during start up the screen goes black for a while then continues on normally.

    i.e I get the blue window and rotating wheel for about 15 seconds, then the screen goes black for 1 1/4 minutes (same every time), and then continues on to the welcome screen. During the black screen period, there is almost nil disc activity, and after the 1 1/4 minutes resumes normal activity.

    Disc itself appears to be OK (according to eventvwr), although I have not performed a thorough diagnostic on it.

    Any ideas?
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 6,967
    windows 10
       #2

    Welcome to the forum. Check in task manager the start up tab it gives times of each startuo
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 1,604
    Win 10 home 20H2 19042.1110
       #3

    You can also run an elevated command prompt....

    Type cmd.exe in the Search program box.
    Right-click on cmd.exe. Right click and run as Administrator
    Type--> chkdsk
    then click 'enter' button.

    Do the same as above, but this time type --> sfc /scannow
    Be sure to leave the space between the "c" and "/"

    If all looks okay with nothing reported as wrong, think about how old your computer is. I may be possible that the CMOS battery needs to be replaced.
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 19
    window 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #4

    Samuria said:
    Welcome to the forum. Check in task manager the start up tab it gives times of each startuo
    That gives a list of items that will start, but not when and how long they took.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 13,950
    Windows 10 Pro X64 21H1 19043.1503
       #5

    Here is some info I have squirreled away on this: Take a boot trace

    Download and install the Windows ADK, which also contains the Windows Performance Toolkit.

    1. Open a Administrator Command Prompt.
    2. Type: cd "%programfiles(x86)%\Windows Kits\10\Windows Performance Toolkit"
    3. Type the following command to start recording the boot trace:
    wpr -start GeneralProfile -start CPU -onoffscenario Boot -onoffresultspath c:\wpr -numiterations 1 -filemode
    4. The results should be in a .etl file under the C:\WPR.

    You can also run this via the GUI:
    Start Menu
    ..Programs
    ....Windows Kits
    ......Windows Performance Toolkit
    ........Windows Performance Recorder


    More good info here: How to collect a good boot trace on Windows 10 or Windows Server 2016 using WPRUI

    See here for some hints on how to use the data: Analyzing a Slow Boot with Windows Performance Recorder & Analyzer

    ... and here: Windows Performance Analyzer step-by-step guide
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 19
    window 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #6

    Jacee said:
    You can also run an elevated command prompt....

    Type cmd.exe in the Search program box.
    Right-click on cmd.exe. Right click and run as Administrator
    Type--> chkdsk
    then click 'enter' button.

    Do the same as above, but this time type --> sfc /scannow
    Be sure to leave the space between the "c" and "/"

    If all looks okay with nothing reported as wrong, think about how old your computer is. I may be possible that the CMOS battery needs to be replaced.
    File system OK.

    I would be very interested in your explanation how a failing CMOS battery could cause the symptoms I described above.

    - - - Updated - - -

    - - - Updated - - -

    Ztruker said:
    Here is some info I have squirreled away on this: Take a boot trace
    WOW! That is one hella powerful tool. I am overwhelmed with info.

    But I think I nailed it down to service "DComLaunch -p svchost(980)" taking 77 seconds to complete. I am unsure what that means, or whether that delay is caused by something else.

    Is there somewhere I could send the .etl file for analysis? Short of that I might need to do a complete re-install. (Not looking forward to that!)
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 19,238
    W11+W11 Developer Insider + Linux
       #7

    That black screen part usually comes while GPU driver is initialized, maybe you should check if you have latest driver and is functioning well. Also see what happens when you start in Safe Mode. In safe mode only basic MS driver is used.
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 19
    window 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #8

    CountMike said:
    That black screen part usually comes while GPU driver is initialized, maybe you should check if you have latest driver and is functioning well. Also see what happens when you start in Safe Mode. In safe mode only basic MS driver is used.
    Radeon HD 7400M driver is updated ; delay is not there in safe mode.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 19,238
    W11+W11 Developer Insider + Linux
       #9

    utsbrodie said:
    Radeon HD 7400M driver is updated ; delay is not there in safe mode.
    That (Safe Mode) proves that driver is not initialized at right time. Maybe you could try to uninstall it with DDU and do clean install.
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:50.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums