Disk Optimization Turns Off...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 509
    Windows10 Home 64 bit v. 21H1 bld. 19043.1620
       #1

    Disk Optimization Turns Off...


    I usually have Disk Optimization (Defrag) set to run automatically on a daily basis as I have a couple of data backup drives that are getting rather full (around 60%). It appears that after every Auto Updated CU, the auto setting gets turned off and I have to go through setting it back up. Any ideas?
    Last edited by Brink; 19 Sep 2019 at 22:13. Reason: removed unneeded spacing
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 35,424
    Win 10 Pro (21H2) (2nd PC is 21H2)
       #2

    Hi, the scheduled task is here:
    Disk Optimization Turns Off...-snap-2019-09-20-09.32.14.png

    You could export your modified task and import it after an upgrade.
    (Action, Import Task)

    Is there another way? Well, where are the tasks held? Here's an older attempt at answering that:
    Where does Windows store the settings for Scheduled Tasks console? - Stack Overflow

    I would, however, question the basic principle- that daily defragging saves sigificant space, which seems your concern. Further, reliability should be a significant requirement for backups, and repeated defragging is not going to improve that.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 205
    Win 10
       #3

    dalchina said:
    Hi, the scheduled task is here:
    Disk Optimization Turns Off...-snap-2019-09-20-09.32.14.png

    You could export your modified task and import it after an upgrade.
    (Action, Import Task)

    Is there another way? Well, where are the tasks held? Here's an older attempt at answering that:
    Where does Windows store the settings for Scheduled Tasks console? - Stack Overflow

    I would, however, question the basic principle- that daily defragging saves sigificant space, which seems your concern. Further, reliability should be a significant requirement for backups, and repeated defragging is not going to improve that.
    I just happened to check (because of OP) and my "optimize disk" window shows HDD disks have been defragged/optimized but my C drive SSD shows over 2 weeks (I think I did manual optimize).
    Looking at settings it is set to weekly but when I look at Task scheduler > defrag under the last run is dated 1999 and there is nothing under in "trigger" window where you can set a time interval.
    I don't think I ever messed with this and not sure what defaults should be in there.

    Edit: I just noticed my C drive SSD has two volumes (C and smaller one) and the small one did get optimized when the HDD was done, so it's only C drive that didn't, which seems odd.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 4,075
    Windows 7 HP 64 - Windows 10 Pro - Lubuntu
       #4

    Never defrag a SSD. It's useless as it's not a spinning disk and it will short the SSD life.
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 509
    Windows10 Home 64 bit v. 21H1 bld. 19043.1620
    Thread Starter
       #5

    I guess a daily defrag is a bit much for the activity of my system and I reset the schedule to weekly. It's quick enough to manage it from the Optimization panel and I'll do that after each update (just like I do system saves after each update). My reason for the original question was WHY the service is being turned off repeatedly by some system function. My first impression is that it was happening in conjunction with an automatic CU update. I'll be watching it more closely for awhile to see if some other event is causing it.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 205
    Win 10
       #6

    Megahertz said:
    Never defrag a SSD. It's useless as it's not a spinning disk and it will short the SSD life.
    Sure, But my understanding is Win10 does defrag on HDD and optimize on SSD (Windows does reconize the drivers properly).
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 56,100
    Multi-boot Windows 10/11 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #7

    EdKiefer said:
    Sure, But my understanding is Win10 does defrag on HDD and optimize on SSD (Windows does reconize the drivers properly).
    You are correct. MS had tried to get away from the term "defrag" by using the term "Optimize". But Defrag is still referenced in their naming. Causes confusion. Windows will recognize the drive type and defragment an HDD and issue a Trim command to an SSD. I say "Issue a Trim command" because it's the controller on the SSD that's actually doing the work to "trim" the memory cells.

    Example of MS still referring to "Defrag"

    Disk Optimization Turns Off...-2019-09-20_12h29_23.png
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 1,806
    Windows 10 Pro 21H1 19043.1348
       #8

    jamis said:
    I usually have Disk Optimization (Defrag) set to run automatically on a daily basis as I have a couple of data backup drives that are getting rather full (around 60%). It appears that after every Auto Updated CU, the auto setting gets turned off and I have to go through setting it back up. Any ideas?
    Recently, I've noticed that my SSD is not getting trimmed on the same schedule as my HDD is defragged. I have my OS on an SSD and data on a HDD in my laptop and the defrag schedule set to weekly.

    EdKiefer said:
    Edit: I just noticed my C drive SSD has two volumes (C and smaller one) and the small one did get optimized when the HDD was done, so it's only C drive that didn't, which seems odd.
    I have seen the same thing on my SSD. The small data section got trimmed on a weekly schedule with the HDD, however; the OS section of the SSD showed last trim action was over 3 weeks ago. What is your winver? I have 1809, same as OP.

    It appears that the OS section on an SSD is not being trimmed on schedule. Odd!
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 35,424
    Win 10 Pro (21H2) (2nd PC is 21H2)
       #9

    Can confirm mine runs ok on 1903 on this laptop - just 1 SSD - my other laptop has two partitions on the SSD + a HDD - on that one, supposedly weekly, last run was 23 days ago.

    Granted, it's not on every day, but it has been used from time to time, and been on for some long periods. whereas this one is used much more frequently.
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 1,806
    Windows 10 Pro 21H1 19043.1348
       #10

    My apology to jamis. My concerns are similar but unrelated to his topic. I have created a new thread here so as not to detract from the OP.

    SSD with a HDD installed not being trimmed automatically, why?

    dalchina said:
    my other laptop has two partitions on the SSD + a HDD - on that one, supposedly weekly, last run was 23 days ago.
    I have all my personal folders remapped to my data HDD, so I'm not too concerned about infrequent trim on my OS drive. I'll just have to check it monthly.

    I am curious though, on your SSD with partitions, was the area without the OS trimmed on the weekly schedule?
    Last edited by W10 Tweaker; 21 Sep 2019 at 12:56.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:42.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums