Windows 10: Registry Cleaning

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 192
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit
       08 Aug 2015 #11

    meebers said: View Post
    I use CCleaner on all my machines. No problems so far (knock, knock) but I always save the registry and do an image immediately before, same as updates, new programs etc.
    I only do an image about once a month. Usually after the latest round of Windows updates. Yes, I said after, not before. I only image so I won't have to do updates over again. I use AOMEI Backupper since the built in Windows tool once again is terrible. The programs provided , like IE and Media Player are great and I use them as defaults, but the maintenance tools stink.

    I made an image on 8.1 before upgrading to 10 but I'm about to delete it and do one of 10 now before the SR1 Win 10 update just in case. I have had no problems with 10 so there's no need to keep the 8.1 image.

    I also keep System Restore turned off for all drives since I have never had to use it either and it just takes up space that can't be defragmented by Puran.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 8,585
    Windows 10 Home x64 Windows 10 Prox64
       08 Aug 2015 #12

    Modern OS's don't need registry cleaning.
    I've run the same install on my windows 7 machine since it came out.
    No degradation of performance.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 14,913
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 14393, Windows 10 Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Update, Ubuntu
       08 Aug 2015 #13

    Dch48 said: View Post
    Absolutely and 100%. It has proven true time and time again on any machine I have ever owned or worked on. The parts you underlined absolutely improved my Windows 10 experience. As I said it made my boot time over 300% faster.
    Ok..? I just wanted to know. I've tested just about all the cleaning tools defraggers, optimizers on a live machine using an old 350GB spinner. After creating a system image and reimaging(to create an unfragmented starting point) I installed and uninstalled 4 large programs, then from an external hard drive moved music and photo files around then reinstalled the programs(I always keep the latest installers for repair installs) and got 25%$ fragmentation and tons of invalid registry entries. I then proceeded to turn windows defragmenter off and pick a tool(Ccleaner & defraggler, IOBIT, Wise, Puran,...etc) and use it, checking boot times in event viewer(no 3rd party) for about 2 weeks- I then compared averages, and in almost all cases it's only a placebo effect, when comparing against windows built in tools, being run regularly. Some even caused serious instability(specially the boot time defraggers and reg cleaners). If one decides he must use these tools; my only recommendation is, to use "simple settings" and not the "advanced".

    These tools do have their uses, don't get me wrong. For example I needed a 3rd party portable defragger(for me IOBITs was the fastest and most thorough) to defrag in Safe Mode(which isn't possible with windows own), so I could create a system image small enough to image from a 350GB HDD to a 128GB SSD. I just don't recommend them for regular maintenance. But this is just my experience and opinion YMMV
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 14,913
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 14393, Windows 10 Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Update, Ubuntu
       08 Aug 2015 #14

    rvbfan said: View Post
    Modern OS's don't need registry cleaning.
    I've run the same install on my windows 7 machine since it came out.
    No degradation of performance.
    Me: from 2010 up until last week when I upgraded. same install image basically, because I imaged after big changes and at least 2 weeks after patch Tuesday. Only after testing software did I need to reimage back.
    Last edited by Cliff S; 08 Aug 2015 at 23:34.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 192
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit
       08 Aug 2015 #15

    Cliff S said: View Post
    Ok..? I just wanted to know. I've tested just about all the cleaning tools defraggers, optimizers on a live machine using an old 350GB spinner. After creating a system image and reimaging(to create an unfragmented starting point) I installed and uninstalled 4 large programs, then from an external hard drive moved music and photo files around then reinstalled the programs(I always keep the latest installers for repair installs) and got 25%$ fragmentation and tons of invalid registry entries. I then proceeded to turn windows defragmenter off and pick a tool(Ccleaner & defraggler, IOBIT, Wise, Puran,...etc) and use it, checking boot times in event viewer(no 3rd party) for about 2 weeks- I then compared averages, and in almost all cases it's only a placebo effect, when comparing against windows built in tools, being run regularly. Some even caused serious instability(specially the boot time defraggers and reg cleaners). If one decides he must use these tools; my only recommendation is, to use "simple settings" and not the "advanced".

    These tools do have their uses, don't get me wrong. For example I needed a 3rd party portable defragger(for me IOBITs was the fastest and most thorough) to defrag in Safe Mode(which isn't possible with windows own), so I could create a system image small enough to image from a 350GB HDD to a 128GB SSD. I just don't recommend them for regular maintenance. But this is just my experience and opinion YMMV
    Like I said, the benefits for each individual instance of cleaning and defragging may be very small, but the cumulative benefits do stack up. Your registry loads into memory at every boot. Keeping it smaller has to make that loading go faster. It just makes sense.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 103
    32-bit Windows 10 Pro - Build 1607/14393.51
       08 Aug 2015 #16

    I have never heard of Puran. Open Source?

    I have also never used a registry cleaning utility of any sort. The mere thought of doing that automatically kind of freaks me out.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 14,913
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 14393, Windows 10 Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Update, Ubuntu
       08 Aug 2015 #17

    Oh yeah, a secret to fast defragging very large disks... Create an image, destroy your partition, then reimage your disk, windows will put every thing where it belongs in one clean unfragmented image. But this is only worthwhile for 750GB and above.
    Last edited by Cliff S; 08 Aug 2015 at 23:35.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 192
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit
       08 Aug 2015 #18

    Inundated said: View Post
    I have never heard of Puran. Open Source?

    I have also never used a registry cleaning utility of any sort. The mere thought of doing that automatically kind of freaks me out.
    Puran is not open source ( personally I don't care for most open source stuff except for 7-Zip). It is provided by Puran Software and is completely free. The software is put out by the well respected Windows guru, Vishal Gupta, who is responsible for coming up with many of the Windows tweaks and fixes that are available (Ask VG). The guy seems to be a genius.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 103
    32-bit Windows 10 Pro - Build 1607/14393.51
       08 Aug 2015 #19

    Dch48 said: View Post
    Puran is not open source ( personally I don't care for most open source stuff except for 7-Zip). It is provided by Puran Software and is completely free. The software is put out by the well respected Windows guru, Vishal Gupta, who is responsible for coming up with many of the Windows tweaks and fixes that are available (Ask VG). The guy seems to be a genius.
    OK, thanks. Never heard of him or the software, and was kind of wary. I appreciate the information!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 2,278
    Windows 10.3 Home 1703 x64 (Home per choice)
       13 Aug 2015 #20

    Just a note, KB3081440 does registry cleaning in order to solve problem installing KB3081424.
    In other words, people using registry cleaners, would not have this issue. Thought, you should know.

    The issue can be manually solved by deleting unnecessary profiles from registry that no longer exist on your computer, but weve to accept its a complicated task for novice users.
    http://techdows.com/2015/08/kb308144...-failures.html

    I use CCleaner along WiseCare for years, they solved/prevented many issues, obviously.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Related Threads
So I have left over the "Windows.old" file on my C drive, which is taking up 36.8GB of precious space. I know deleting this will prevent me from "going back to windows 7", the option in the settings. I have a Macrium reflect image of my C drive...
Source: Cleaning up misleading advertisements - Microsoft Malware Protection Center
BSOD Registry Error in BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Dual boot, W7 is the default OS. Start up boots into W10TP instead of BIOS selection screen without asking for password. Chrome won't open, reboot, asks for password this time and get Chrome back, somehow! Posting in a forum, BSOD for registry...
Win7 works A-OK for me and I see no compelling reason (yet) to go to Win10. However, my Win7 system is old and by now my Registry & WINSXS directory are full of junk. I know that at some point, if I don't do a clean install of something, some bad...
Cleaning Windows 7 in Performance & Maintenance
Apart form CCleaner I use commands in command prompt (elevated) cleanmgr/sagerun:1 and %SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c Cleanmgr /sageset:65535 & Cleanmgr /sagerun:65535 My system runs very well so is this enough or do I need to use...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:54.
Find Us