I also had the same problem. After updating my Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 and later to Windows 10, the fan started to work at full speed with lots of noise. I tried many different methods that didn't work. Finally I found the following solution.
Basically, the problem is that your graphic card drivers are not compatible with your motherboard. You need to install an older version of drivers which is compatible with your system, not the latest ones!!!
In order to do that:
1. Make sure you cancel the automatic update. Go to device installation settings and check “Never install driver software from windows update”
3. Uninstall all graphic cards from device manager
4. Reboot again
5. Go to device manager and make sure your system did not automatically install the graphic cards.
6. Then, install an older version of graphic card driver which is compatible with your motherboard. For my laptop (SONY VIO, bought in 2013) after a few trial and error, I found this version completely compatible with my system: AMD Radeon HD series version 15.301.1901.0. and INTEL ® HD graphics 4000 version 10.18.10.4226. (It is about a month that my system is working without noise).
7. You may also needed to update the motherboard cheapest drivers too.
Interestingly, this remedy worked for my internet wifi too. After updating my Windows, my laptop used to disconnect every half an hour or so.
I installed an older version of driver (Intel Centrino (R) wireless N 2230: version 184.108.40.206) and it got fixed.
Hope this solution works for your computer too.
If you have bought a new case or fans or something recently good thing is to make sure that every fan is spinning. Just putting it out there because this was the problem for me.
I have shortly bought a HP notebook and Windows 10 separately. I installed the Windows on the new HP notebook. The result is that the fan is running at nearly max speed all the time very loadly although no software is running. At the same the the battery will be unloaded very quickly. This is annoying.
I have still an old notebook usnig Windows 8.1 Here no problems appear.
What can I do? Is the problem known to the producer of Windows?
On the other hand I know other computers running Windows 10 where such a problem does not appear.
hello guys i'm new to the forum and i am experiencing a similar problem
my laptop is a Lenovo IdeaPad 510 (Core i7-6500U + Intel HD Graphics 520, 8GB DDR4, Nividia GeForce 940MX 4GB GDDR5 and a 1TB HDD).
I bought my laptop a month ago and two weeks ago (two weeks after buying) I did the Windows 10 Anniversary Update and since then I've been experiencing very loud CPU Fan.
Tried Fan Speed and HWMonitor and both didn't detect a fan to show its speed!
Please help as the sound is driving me crazy!!
In my opinion, I believe it may be a driver compatibility issue and for some reason Microsoft doesn't install the proper driver for certain components, such as the Graphics Cards. I would take the above posters suggestion about removing the graphics card drivers, disabling auto updates and so on.