Compress OS

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
  1.    #31

    Cerawy said: View Post
    I just found out that windows own cleaning tool seems to delete your downloaded files, so i just lost some important files. Seems like windows own cleaning tool is causing more problems than its solving.
    I always download files to a directory of my choice which makes you immune from Windows cleaning.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  2.    #32

    Yes, but i prefer for my downloads to be in my downloads folder. I didnt really get this issue until recently.

    P.S i read that compressing the os slows your computer, is this true?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    #33

    Cerawy said: View Post
    I just found out that windows own cleaning tool seems to delete your downloaded files, so i just lost some important files. Seems like windows own cleaning tool is causing more problems than its solving.
    You can choose if and when to delete files in Downloads folder.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	3 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	233557
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	48 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	233558
    I like to keep all personal and other files as far from system partition as I can, even on another disk !! Downloads, saved files and programs output, all are as far from system as possible and backed up !! Murphy never sleeps
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  4.    #34

    Cerawy said: View Post
    Yes, but i prefer for my downloads to be in my downloads folder. I didnt really get this issue until recently.

    P.S i read that compressing the os slows your computer, is this true?
    Yes although w10 newer compression schemes (xpress) are really fast and well optimized. They add some complexity to NTFS disk structure though. Unless you are starving for free space I advice to run everything in their uncompressed form.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    #35

    Cerawy said: View Post
    Yes, but i prefer for my downloads to be in my downloads folder. I didnt really get this issue until recently.
    I've always thought of the Downloads folder as sort of temporary storage. Anything I download either gets installed, moved to other folders, or saved to an external drive. Then I empty it myself.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6. thomaseg1's Avatar
    Posts : 413
    Windows 10 Professional (x64) Version 1903
       #36

    My setup is that my "Downloads" is on my D:\ drive.(Data)
    All browsers ,Google drive, Icloud and One Drive are setup on that drive and all docs,pic and programs go there
    in catagory. I Rarely expand my C:\ drive in explorer because everything I need is on my working drive.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7. jimbo45's Avatar
    Posts : 7,171
    Windows / Linux : Centos, Ubuntu, OpenSuse
       #37

    Hi there

    These days with cheap fast large HDD's and SSD's why bother adding anything that adds to the complexity of the underlying file system -- NTFS is getting long in the tooth as is and anything that does anything extra to it is likely to break it at some point.

    The only reason I can think of for having "compressed" Os'es is when the OS is essentially a very small stripped down single task or single main task type of OS such as would be found in an ATM or a Point of sale machine - or even a thin client computer where the OS would be stored either in the internal BIOS / Chip or on an internal SD card where the OS would be loaded into memory with minimum or zero writes back to the boot device.

    On these devices the extra boot time required to de-compress and load the OS isn't an issue as boot should only occur very rarely for these types of devices.

    Simply store your downloads away from the main OS and backup OS and important data regularly.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 41,209
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       #38

    jimbo45 said: View Post
    Hi there

    These days with cheap fast large HDD's and SSD's why bother adding anything that adds to the complexity of the underlying file system -- NTFS is getting long in the tooth as is and anything that does anything extra to it is likely to break it at some point.

    The only reason I can think of for having "compressed" Os'es is when the OS is essentially a very small stripped down single task or single main task type of OS such as would be found in an ATM or a Point of sale machine - or even a thin client computer where the OS would be stored either in the internal BIOS / Chip or on an internal SD card where the OS would be loaded into memory with minimum or zero writes back to the boot device.

    On these devices the extra boot time required to de-compress and load the OS isn't an issue as boot should only occur very rarely for these types of devices.

    Simply store your downloads away from the main OS and backup OS and important data regularly.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Tablets, with their massive, extraordinarily generous storage of 32GB, or the option of the whopping 64GB, could not possibly survive without the OS compacted.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  9. jimbo45's Avatar
    Posts : 7,171
    Windows / Linux : Centos, Ubuntu, OpenSuse
       #39

    f14tomcat said: View Post
    Tablets, with their massive, extraordinarily generous storage of 32GB, or the option of the whopping 64GB, could not possibly survive without the OS compacted.
    Hi there
    I think I was alluding to those type of devices too !!! Anything with minimal space / diskless machines but for a computer with decent internal RAM and proper Disk devices e.g laptops compression isn't necessary .

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 41,209
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       #40

    jimbo45 said: View Post
    Hi there
    I think I was alluding to those type of devices too !!! Anything with minimal space / diskless machines but for a computer with decent internal RAM and proper Disk devices e.g laptops compression isn't necessary .

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Agree, 100%. My post had my tongue in my cheek so far, I'll never get it out!
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Related Threads
How to Compress or Uncompress Windows 10 with Compact OS Windows 10 includes tools to help you use less drive space. You can now compress the files for the entire operating system, including your preloaded desktop applications. Compact OS lets...
Windows 10 1803 compress problem in Performance & Maintenance
Hey guys :) Usually when I compress the c:// I get back about 2 gbs of space Since the update I compressed and the winsxs folder actually got bigger after compressing? Is their a bug somewhere? Actually the windows folder in general got...
Compress PDF files in General Support
Hello, Have lot of pdf files on my disk, I have read about software to compress these files. 1. Is there some program (free if possible) to do it ? 2. Is the compression effective (in percent), so to start installing the program ? 3. After...
Yeah i've been using this trick to save my Dish Space and how Helpful it is... :) But i need a alternate way so that i don't have to manually do this. 91064 I just need a way to apply this to certain folder using Command Prompt (cmd.exe). ...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:24.
Find Us