Minimum ram

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Wynona's Avatar
    Posts : 22,355
    Windows 10 Skip Ahead Preview Build 18312
       4 Days Ago #11

    Mixalisfr said: View Post
    I understand as i see 16 GB ram is a must have if you are using photoshop and big files
    I don't use Photoshop; too expensive and it's now subscription, requiring more money every year.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2. Ztruker's Avatar
    Posts : 7,037
    Windows 10 Pro X64 1809 17763.134
       4 Days Ago #12

    I have the free Photoshop CS3 that was given away by Adobe some years back Still good enough for anything I do. 90% of the time IrfanView suffices.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    4 Days Ago #13

    The amount of RAM Windows will use at idle after bootup will vary widely. One major influence is how much RAM you have. Generally the more RAM you have, the more Windows will use. This is as it should be. Unused memory is wasted memory.

    1.4 GB usage with 4 GB RAM seems very reasonable.

    Memory usage in Windows is highly dynamic. When there is no shortage of available memory the memory manager will allow processes to use pretty much whatever they want with few restrictions. This is good for performance. But if a large application is started this will be trimmed back as needed, drastically if necessary.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 9
    Windows 10 home 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       4 Days Ago #14

    LMiller7 said: View Post
    The amount of RAM Windows will use at idle after bootup will vary widely. One major influence is how much RAM you have. Generally the more RAM you have, the more Windows will use. This is as it should be. Unused memory is wasted memory.

    1.4 GB usage with 4 GB RAM seems very reasonable.

    Memory usage in Windows is highly dynamic. When there is no shortage of available memory the memory manager will allow processes to use pretty much whatever they want with few restrictions. This is good for performance. But if a large application is started this will be trimmed back as needed, drastically if necessary.
    I know also lot of laptops have proprietary software that use a lot of system resources cpu usage is also a lot more than windows 7 normaly it sits at 1% but spikes sometimes at 5%
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5. Compumind's Avatar
    Posts : 472
    Windows 7 Pro, 10 Pro, Various Linux Builds, Internet Security
       4 Days Ago #15

    Mixalisfr said: View Post
    I understand as i see 16 GB ram is a must have if you are using photoshop and big files
    If you are looking for a new PC, I wouldn't consider anything under 8 GB, with 16 GB preferred and a 256 GB SSD (512 GB preferred.)
    My laptop/desktop systems all have a minimum of 16 GB RAM and 512 GB SSD's.

    If you buy a laptop a SSD is a must. Stay away from internal HDD's on a laptop - use external storage.

    Just my opinion.

      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6. Wynona's Avatar
    Posts : 22,355
    Windows 10 Skip Ahead Preview Build 18312
       4 Days Ago #16

    Ztruker said: View Post
    I have the free Photoshop CS3 that was given away by Adobe some years back Still good enough for anything I do. 90% of the time IrfanView suffices.
    Wow! I forgot about Irfanview. I also have Cyberlink's photo app.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    3 Days Ago #17

    Mixalisfr said: View Post
    its an AMD A9-9425 i have a stic of 4GB i will update it to 8GB only for vm requirements as i use the laptop primarily for developing purpose the laptop was optimize as far as i could disabling services telemetry start-up apps registry keys background apps removed windows junk and bloatware that came with the laptop I know the cpu is weak. Windows 10 isa fantastic if it is optimized the version of home is 1809 I didnt removed hp bloatware as it could be a service that is required for the laptop to be able to run. The only thing i saw is that windows 10 use more cpu and use more ram per app. I think the system requirements that microsoft clams 1 Ghz cpu 2 GB ram is too low a dual core cpu would be the minimum to be able to use and to do things in windows 10. Windows 7 for me was less cpu ressource hog. My cpu is idleing at 1% anytime if i see task mager is but even task manger use cpu In 7 is was 0-2% with my athlon 64 x2 6400+
    You have an integrated GPU so at least 512 MB are going for it's use.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  8. Wynona's Avatar
    Posts : 22,355
    Windows 10 Skip Ahead Preview Build 18312
       3 Days Ago #18

    CountMike said: View Post
    You have an integrated GPU so at least 512 MB are going for it's use.
    IOW, half a GB.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    3 Days Ago #19

    Wynona said: View Post
    IOW, half a GB.
    That's minimum for high resolution and it comes out of system RAM as only dedicated GPUs have own memory. Even dedicated GPUs may have some of system RAM (shadow RAM) used.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 9
    Windows 10 home 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       3 Days Ago #20

    CountMike said: View Post
    You have an integrated GPU so at least 512 MB are going for it's use.
    I have 2 gpus one integrated in the apu and one descrete 512 mb are reserved
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Related Threads
Windows 10 asking for minimum 6 digit pin in User Accounts and Family Safety
Hi, How do I set the minimum digit pin to 4 digits? Using Windows 10 Education x64. Best Regards
Windows Hello in Windows 10 enables users to sign in to their device using a PIN (Personal Identification Number). You can use this PIN to sign in to Windows, apps, and services. One important difference between a password and a Hello PIN is that...
Hi HYPER-V gurus I'm looking at running a few VM's from an almost "Server" like system -- I obviously don't want to shell out big $$$$'s for Windows SERVER and it in any case would be overkill for what I want to try out. Is it possible using...
This one might not make sense to most, but I often make use of the scroll bar by dragging it to get to where I need to be in a document. Sometimes I have a file with a lot of text and I'll know where a specific value's location is but don't like...
Are it and maximum processor state useful on a desktop, or is it just for laptops? Lower and Maximum are both set to 100% for me. I read that if I lower the minimum, my cpu doesn't reach the max overclock level.
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:24.
Find Us