Windows 10: Windows Extraction Tool Issues Solved

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 369
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit, Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.1)
       10 May 2018 #1

    Windows Extraction Tool Issues


    Hi,
    I recently encountered a zip folder, which contains 6 PNG images.
    When extracting the files, by right-clicking the zip folder and using the Windows Extraction Tool.
    The file are not present, and the extracted folder is empty/void of content.
    However, when I use 7zip or some other file extraction tool.
    The files are clearly there, within the zip folder and are easily extracted.
    This is the file info as seen in 7zip.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7zip_file_info.PNG 
Views:	4 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	188153

    Would anyone know what might be going on here?
    Below is the zip folder in question.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails zip_folder_content.PNG  
    Windows Extraction Tool Issues Attached Files
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    10 May 2018 #2

    It does the same exact for me. Windows built in zip does not show the files nor extract them. 7zip works, they show up in the archive and extract properly.

    No clue why that is happening
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 369
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit, Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.1)
    Thread Starter
       10 May 2018 #3

    Access Denied said: View Post
    It does the same exact for me. Windows built in zip does not show the files nor extract them. 7zip works, they show up in the archive and extract properly.

    No clue why that is happening
    @Access Denied

    Thanks for giving it a go.
    At least I now know, that it's not specific to my machine.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    10 May 2018 #4

    @Geosammy No problem. I figured at least if I couldn't provide a fix, I could help by confirming it was not specific to your PC. :)
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 8,066
    10 Home x64 (1803) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       10 May 2018 #5

    Access Denied said: View Post
    It does the same exact for me. Windows built in zip does not show the files nor extract them. 7zip works, they show up in the archive and extract properly.
    Well, it's not the file names that are the problem. Once extracted with 7-zip you can send the folder and the files it contains to a 'Compressed (zipped) folder' and that one behaves perfectly.

    @Geosammy, 7-Zip shows that the host OS for the original (non-working) zip file is Unix. That's where the problem must have come from, an incompatible 'zip' utility created it.

    Edit: it IS the filenames. They contain the > character which is legal in Unix but not in Windows. 7-Zip replaces the > with an underscore _ but windows just says you can't use that name and skips extracting the file.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 369
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit, Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.1)
    Thread Starter
       10 May 2018 #6

    Bree said: View Post
    Well, it's not the file names that are the problem. Once extracted with 7-zip you can send the folder and the files it contains to a 'Compressed (zipped) folder' and that one behaves perfectly.

    @Geosammy, 7-Zip shows that the host OS for the original (non-working) zip file is Unix. That's where the problem must have come from, an incompatible 'zip' utility created it.

    Edit: it IS the filenames. They contain the > character which is legal in Unix but not in Windows. 7-Zip replaces the > with an underscore _ but windows just says you can't use that name and skips extracting the file.
    @Bree

    So what your saying is, that zip folder created using Unix as it's Host,
    will go unrecognized by Windows?
    How does someone using Unix, create zip folder that Windows will recognize?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    10 May 2018 #7

    Geosammy said: View Post
    So what your saying is, that zip folder created using Unix as it's Host,
    will go unrecognized by Windows?
    Yes, Windows cannot have the > character in a file name. You can see this by creating a text file on your PC and trying to type the > character.

    If you make a zip file using Unix, the file names have to be compatible with Windows.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 8,066
    10 Home x64 (1803) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       10 May 2018 #8

    Geosammy said: View Post
    How does someone using Unix, create zip folder that Windows will recognize?
    They must use filenames that are windows-compatible for Windows own built-in 'un-zip' to work. 7-Zip will replace any illegal characters with the underscore, so you can still extract the files, just not with their Unix names. In Windows you can't use...

    The following reserved characters:


      • < (less than)
      • > (greater than)
      • : (colon)
      • " (double quote)
      • / (forward slash)
      • \ (backslash)
      • | (vertical bar or pipe)
      • ? (question mark)
      • * (asterisk)


    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...(v=vs.85).aspx
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 369
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit, Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.1)
    Thread Starter
       10 May 2018 #9

    Access Denied said: View Post
    Yes, Windows cannot have the > character in a file name. You can see this by creating a text file on your PC and trying to type the > character. If you make a zip file using Unix, the file names have to be compatible with Windows.

    Bree said: View Post
    They must use filenames that are windows-compatible for Windows own built-in 'un-zip' to work. 7-Zip will replace any illegal characters with the underscore, so you can still extract the files, just not with their Unix names. In Windows you can't use...

    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...(v=vs.85).aspx
    @Access Denied
    @Bree

    Thanks you guys.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    10 May 2018 #10

    @Geosammy You are very welcome :)
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
I downloaded MouseKeyboardCenter_32bit_ENG_3.2.116.exe and ran it. I get an the following error during extraction. I also tried the 32-bit version. 186565
Since the latest updates the snipping tool is automatically opening in a format I don't like - 3D for example?? and the downloads are not showing progress when I click on the progress arrow - am using Cyberfox browser (similar to Firefox) So...
Windows 10 crashed with the dreaded blue screen of death. Upon reinstallation, it always gets to the file extraction process with one of several different error messages: Page fault in non-paged ares KMODE exception not handles Bad pool header...
Issues with Win10 Media Creation Tool in Installation and Upgrade
I want to install Win10 on a USB, simples BUT will the MCT let me do this NO! It's trying to reinstall it on my PC even though I'm pretty sure I followed the instructions here. Anyone know how I can download Win10 without having to go through...
Source: New tool for helping resolve Office 365 issues - Office Blogs
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:41.
Find Us