Windows 10: DistributedCOM Error. Solved

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    09 Apr 2018 #11

    Good explanation on the DCOM & RPC stuff, Wynona. Nice job!
    --Ed--

    PS: I still have a paid-for copy of SpinRite sitting in my little tub 'o USB flash drives, right in front of me.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 79
    W7 x64 & W10 Pro x64 (Dual boot)
       09 Apr 2018 #12

    Hello,

    Although I could fix any potential 10016 errors with all previous builds, when I realized that I would have to do it with every new build I abandoned the usual procedure and found an easiest way. What's this? Well it's simple, just force Event Viewer not to log 10016 events. It's better and you are not potentially opening new security holes with the CLSID and AppID and Component services method. I'm still on version 1709 but it should work with build 1803 too.
    If interested let me know and I'll drop some extra lines here on how to proceed.
    Edit: see if this helps with your 10016 error.
    Open Regedit as admin go to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\WMI\Autologger then
    Locate {1B562E86-B7AA-4131-BADC-B6F3A001407E} which is what your Event Viewer is reporting, it could be under System or Applications, or other branch, you should be able to locate, and at the right pane there is an entry mentionning enabled dword 1.
    Select it then Click on Edit - Modify and change that value to 0.
    Reboot pc.
    Now the error should not be logged in Event Viewer as we told Windows to ignore it.
    Enjoy!

    Cheers,
    Last edited by Vaio 7; 09 Apr 2018 at 16:07.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 114
    Windows 10 Home/64bit -Version 1803-Build 17134.167
    Thread Starter
       09 Apr 2018 #13

    I solved the DCOM Error.


    I first made sure I had an entire backup of my whole Registry and could restore it through command prompt in advanced options. Once I verified I could reinstall the whole Registry in the Recovery Environment, I just deleted the Guid alphanumeric codes from the registry wherever they showed up (showed up in three different spots) and rebooted the computer to have an error free log!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	log clear.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	184062


    As far as I could tell, the errors were being generated because random segments of code were left over in the Registry. Since I don't run a registry cleaner (never trusted them; and still don't) I swept the random segments of code out in short order with the delete command myself.


    You must be very careful when using the command prompt in the recovery environment when dealing with the registry because you can delete things that you would normally not be able to delete.


    I'm marking this solved.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 114
    Windows 10 Home/64bit -Version 1803-Build 17134.167
    Thread Starter
       09 Apr 2018 #14

    Vaio 7 said: View Post
    Hello,

    Although I could fix any potential 10016 errors with all previous builds, when I realized that I would have to do it with every new build I abandoned the usual procedure and found an easiest way. What's this? Well it's simple, just force Event Viewer not to log 10016 events. It's better and you are not potentially opening new security holes with the CLSID and AppID and Component services method. I'm still on version 1709 but it should work with build 1803 too.
    If interested let me know and I'll drop some extra lines here on how to proceed.
    Edit: see if this helps with your 10016 error.
    Open Regedit as admin go to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\WMI\Autologger then
    Locate {1B562E86-B7AA-4131-BADC-B6F3A001407E} which is what your Event Viewer is reporting, it could be under System or Applications, or other branch, you should be able to locate, and at the right pane there is an entry mentionning enabled dword 1.
    Select it then Click on Edit - Modify and change that value to 0.
    Reboot pc.
    Now the error should not be logged in Event Viewer as we told Windows to ignore it.
    Enjoy!

    Cheers,

    Although your method is eloquent; I choose to see when all event log errors are generated. Hiding them isn't the same as solving them. Ultimately, when you choose to hide event ID 10016; you are creating a risk in and of itself. In other words, if you can't see the nature of why the error occurred (which can be detrimental) it is the same as not shutting down the DCOM service altogether.


    That is why most peoples posts that I come across when they are talking about DCOM errors; they are in general agreement that Event ID DCOM 10016 is usually harmless. I myself, still like to see why they are generated in the first place.
    Last edited by EyeInTheSky; 09 Apr 2018 at 17:23. Reason: Correction
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    10 May 2018 #15

    I have managed to fix it on my laptop.
    After the Win10 1803 update, these are the only 2 DCOM errors I have found in my comp.
    -Windows.SecurityCenter.WscBrokerManager
    -Windows.SecurityCenter.WscDataProtection

    1. Open Regedit.
    2. CTRL + F "Windows.SecurityCenter.WscDataProtection", this will automactically lead you to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsRuntime\ActivatableClassId\Windows.SecurityCen ter.WscDataProtection.
    You may do the same to find the location for Windows.SecurityCenter.WscBrokerManager.

    3. Perform the usual steps to grant DCOM permissions.
    -> Right click the key >> permissions
    -> Click advanced
    -> At the top change the Owner to COMPUTERNAME\Administrators
    -> Click OK
    -> Check full control for user SID to grant full controls for the user.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    11 May 2018 #16

    Vaio 7 said: View Post
    Hello,

    Although I could fix any potential 10016 errors with all previous builds, when I realized that I would have to do it with every new build I abandoned the usual procedure and found an easiest way. What's this? Well it's simple, just force Event Viewer not to log 10016 events. It's better and you are not potentially opening new security holes with the CLSID and AppID and Component services method. I'm still on version 1709 but it should work with build 1803 too.
    If interested let me know and I'll drop some extra lines here on how to proceed.
    Edit: see if this helps with your 10016 error.
    Open Regedit as admin go to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\WMI\Autologger then
    Locate {1B562E86-B7AA-4131-BADC-B6F3A001407E} which is what your Event Viewer is reporting, it could be under System or Applications, or other branch, you should be able to locate, and at the right pane there is an entry mentionning enabled dword 1.
    Select it then Click on Edit - Modify and change that value to 0.
    Reboot pc.
    Now the error should not be logged in Event Viewer as we told Windows to ignore it.
    Enjoy!

    Cheers,
    This didn't work. I still get the error.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 1
    Windows 10 v1803 (Build 17134.112)
       3 Weeks Ago #17

    I also have this error popping up in new installs. On one instance - a Hyper-V virtual guest - it appears to coincide with running a troubleshooter as advised by the security center. Doing so seems to cause the vmconnect application to hang forcing me to kill the process. Afterwards, I can only get back into the guest vm by shutting it down or resetting it. Whether or not the error was the cause or a symptom of something else, at what point did ignoring errors become acceptable especially when it refers to the application responsible for the firewall, stopping malware, and the general health of the OS? It feels too much like ignoring the "Check engine" light in your car because "nothing's wrong". So far.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 34,701
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       3 Weeks Ago #18

    Tertius said: View Post
    I also have this error popping up in new installs. On one instance - a Hyper-V virtual guest - it appears to coincide with running a troubleshooter as advised by the security center. Doing so seems to cause the vmconnect application to hang forcing me to kill the process. Afterwards, I can only get back into the guest vm by shutting it down or resetting it. Whether or not the error was the cause or a symptom of something else, at what point did ignoring errors become acceptable especially when it refers to the application responsible for the firewall, stopping malware, and the general health of the OS? It feels too much like ignoring the "Check engine" light in your car because "nothing's wrong". So far.
    There are documented cases where the DCOM error is by design and expected. Example, when a preferred condition is not met, the error is logged. It's by design, can be ignored, and causes no ill effects. The preferred condition cannot be determined unless tried, when not found, an error is logged.

    Excerpt:

    These 10016 events are recorded when Microsoft components tries to access DCOM components without the required permissions. In this case, this is expected and by design.

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ws-server-2016
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Related Threads
DistributedCom 10016 permissions event error in Performance & Maintenance
This is a repeating error since the 1709 update. I edited and applied the permission change according to description posted in one of these subforums. That solved that particular application CLSID and APPID Another with a slightly different ID...
I do THANK all whom has helped me on my memory DUMp Error it was bad memory!!T This has happened serval time this month so far Now I have one more BSOD error details in ZIP thanks for all the Help :( Error 9/22/2015 3:40:32 PM...
Event Viewer DistributedCom error in BSOD Crashes and Debugging
I have been experiencing regular PC freezes over the last few months and have only recently discovered the Event Viewer in an attempt to identify the culprit, (forgive me I am a novice PC user!). The freezing is a separate issue, but this morning...
Hi, Is this something I should be concerned about ? I've tried the following solution to no avail my event viewer is still flooded with this error LogName: System Source: DistributedCOM EventID: 10016 Immersive Shell
Bluetooth DistributedCOM error? in Drivers and Hardware
Hi all, running Windows 10 Pro and I have a pretty clean event log except for 10010 DistributedCOM errors that keep cropping up randomly (to me). The offending GUID appears to be {DABF28BE-F6B4-4E40-8F40-C4FB26F3116C}, which is Bluetooth. I...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:54.
Find Us