Windows 10: Paging File Location and Settings Questions Solved

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 253
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit, Version 1709 (Build 16299.334)
       3 Weeks Ago #1

    Paging File Location and Settings Questions


    I currently have one pagefile.sys, assigned to a Samsung SSD drive and it's set to let Windows do the managing.
    This is the only page file I have enabled on my system.

    Is there a better way to handle this file on my system?
    Is it a good idea to have it located on another physical drive?
    Should I have a paging file for all my drives?

    There seems to be a lot of discussion about this,
    with many conflicting arguments as to the setting and possible file locations etc.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 308
    Windows 10 Professional 64bit
       3 Weeks Ago #2

    I would let Windows continue to maintain it and not worry about it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    3 Weeks Ago #3

    Just leave it alone.

    Unless you are desperate for those few GB of disk space or you have some specific purpose (like the guy on this forum that was loading 50GB of graphics assets into his Cities: Skylines game), there's no need to mess with the pagefile.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 253
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit, Version 1709 (Build 16299.334)
    Thread Starter
       3 Weeks Ago #4

    PolarNettles said: View Post
    Just leave it alone.

    Unless you are desperate for those few GB of disk space or you have some specific purpose (like the guy on this forum that was loading 50GB of graphics assets into his Cities: Skylines game), there's no need to mess with the pagefile.
    Is it okay, that I only have one page file enabled and that it's on my F drive?
    Or should I just tick the little box, that lets windows manage the entire system?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    3 Weeks Ago #5

    I would tick the "automatically manage paging file size for all drives" box. I would have thought it was ticked by default.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 253
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit, Version 1709 (Build 16299.334)
    Thread Starter
       3 Weeks Ago #6

    PolarNettles said: View Post
    I would tick the "automatically manage paging file size for all drives" box. I would have thought it was ticked by default.
    Yes, this option was and is ticked by default, but I went in and changed it.
    Should I just go back in and change it to the default settings and let windows manage it?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    3 Weeks Ago #7

    There is a valid principle that if you have 2 physical drives the pagefile should be on the non OS drive. However, there is the assumption, often unstated, that this drive should have performance comparable to the OS drive. In your case that is not true at all. The performance characteristics of an SSD are an almost perfect match for typical pagefile usage patterns, while those of a conventional drive could not be more wrong. In your case the pagefile should be on the SSD only. The only valid reason to put the pagefile on the conventional drive would be if you were very short on space on the OS drive. With a 512 GB SSD that should not be an issue.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  • Posts : 253
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit, Version 1709 (Build 16299.334)
    Thread Starter
       3 Weeks Ago #8

    LMiller7 said: View Post
    There is a valid principle that if you have 2 physical drives the pagefile should be on the non OS drive. However, there is the assumption, often unstated, that this drive should have performance comparable to the OS drive. In your case that is not true at all. The performance characteristics of an SSD are an almost perfect match for typical pagefile usage patterns, while those of a conventional drive could not be more wrong. In your case the pagefile should be on the SSD only. The only valid reason to put the pagefile on the conventional drive would be if you were very short on space on the OS drive. With a 512 GB SSD that should not be an issue.
    This is a bit confusing...
    However, my OS is installed on a Samsung 960 PRO 512GB NVMe and I placed the page file on a SAMSUNG 850 EVO 500GB SSD.
    I also have a WD Black 1 TB HDD, with no page file on it.
    This seems to be working well, but being that I have 24gb of installed RAM.
    I may not be using the page file much anyway.
    Would you say that this kind page file setup is acceptable for my system?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  •    3 Weeks Ago #9

    You are rarely going to be hitting the pagefile anyway so it won't really matter whether it's on the SATA or NVMe drive. Windows will automatically use the fastest drive for the pagefile.

    Multiple page files and disk considerations

    If a system is configured to have more than one page file, the page file that responds first is the one that is used. This means that page files that are on faster disks are used more frequently. Also, putting a page file on a “fast” or “slow” disk is important only if the page file is frequently accessed and if the disk that is hosting the respective page file is overwhelmed. Be aware that actual page file usage depends greatly on the amount of modified memory that the system is managing. This means that files that already exist on disk (such as .txt, .doc, .dll, and .exe) are not written to a page file. Only modified data that does not already exist on disk (for example, unsaved text in Notepad ) is memory that could potentially be backed by a page file. After the unsaved data is saved to disk as a file, it is backed by the disk and not by a page file.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  • Posts : 253
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit, Version 1709 (Build 16299.334)
    Thread Starter
       3 Weeks Ago #10

    PolarNettles said: View Post
    You are rarely going to be hitting the pagefile anyway so it won't really matter whether it's on the SATA or NVMe drive. Windows will automatically use the fastest drive for the pagefile.
    So I'm guessing here,
    that putting the page file on my 850 EVO SSD,
    which is the F drive and having no other page file is fine, right?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pagefile.PNG 
Views:	39 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	182390
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  •  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

    Related Threads
    Hi guys, If I open an Open File dialog box (like in Notepad or wherever) and it's set to display details, and I right-click the column header and check/uncheck some items in the popup menu (like Type, Data Modified, etc.) where do those settings...
    Paging file size going crazy in Performance & Maintenance
    I have posted similar question a while ago when I realized my paging file occupying 32 GBs (Surfaced starting Windows version 1703 ~ 1709) , the recommendations were to set paging file use off then back on . Now I noticed when I did the new...
    Hello, Happy new year. I have a couple PC's in my house running Windows 10 64bit. All these PC's run Windows from a SSD and have a 2nd HD installed. To save space on the SSD's I put the paging file for the virtual ram on the 2nd HD. So now,...
    I was wondering if there would be an advantage to moving the paging file to a separate partition on the same SSD keeping all the software on the "C" Drive & games on "E" Drive. Or Would this only work if I used another SSD of 30gb size ? I...
    Hi, should I disable Page file in my Windows? I have 120GB SSD & I found some articles in the Internet that, paging file should be disabled on SSD. By the way, I have 16GB RAM.
    Our Sites
    Site Links
    About Us
    Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

    © Designer Media Ltd
    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:25.
    Find Us