Very slow boot time - 100% disk active time

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 13
    Windows 10 - Fall Creators Update
    Thread Starter
       26 Mar 2018 #11

    simrick said: View Post
    If you're willing to perform a clean install, I would suggest grabbing an ISO from the MS website and that way you can put just Windows 10 on there, without all the ASUS bloatware.
    Download Windows 10 ISO File Windows 10 Tutorials
    Might want to back up your drivers first, just in case there's something special you need.
    Backup and Restore Device Drivers in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials
    Got the laptop back to the store I bought it, in order for them to look at it. When I get it back, I will try this solution as a last resort.

    Okay, it passed Seatools long test - that's good, but twenty-two percent fragmented on a new installation?
    I'd definitely try a clean install and see if that makes a difference.
    I factory reset the laptop back to its original setup once, so that might have played its role in the fragmentation.

    Will get back here if anything new comes up. Thank you very much for the help.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    26 Mar 2018 #12

    iparout said: View Post
    Got the laptop back to the store I bought it, in order for them to look at it. When I get it back, I will try this solution as a last resort.

    I factory reset the laptop back to its original setup once, so that might have played its role in the fragmentation.

    Will get back here if anything new comes up. Thank you very much for the help.
    Okay sounds good.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 13
    Windows 10 - Fall Creators Update
    Thread Starter
       29 Mar 2018 #13

    Updating just to say that the retailer found no hardware issues on the laptop (although his search was not as thorough as mine), but anyways I performed a clean install of windows without the ASUS bloatware and I noticed a slight improvement in disk performance. It still takes about 2 minutes to fully boot -mostly because Google Backup And Sync scans the disk everytime upon boot-. I just have to accept that this is probably the best performance I can get out of the mechanical HDD it has.

    I have also noticed that the first time I open an office file (xls, docx, ppt), it takes about 10 seconds !! Every other time I open the same type of file during the same Windows session (i.e. no reboots), it opens almost instantaneously as it should be. I honestly don't know why this happens, but I guess it has to do with Office itself.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    29 Mar 2018 #14

    Is the superfetch service enabled. If not enable it and restart your machine 6 times. You'll notice improvements after that
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 13
    Windows 10 - Fall Creators Update
    Thread Starter
       29 Mar 2018 #15

    zinou said: View Post
    Is the superfetch service enabled. If not enable it and restart your machine 6 times. You'll notice improvements after that
    Will do... Although another member here said that superfetch might be the reason why the laptop was too slow... I guess I'll have to check and see.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    29 Mar 2018 #16

    Superfetch when working properly will improve HDD performance caching data frequently accessed.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 932
    Windows 10
       29 Mar 2018 #17

    I do not think anything is wrong other than impatience,
    1) The HDD speed is typical of a laptop 1 TB HDD (the SSD users have the memory loss).
    2) Defragmentation is done automatically to a schedule in Windows 10. I just set that to weekly or monthly. Worst mine ever gets to is ~2%. Not that it matters with modern disc filing systems.
    3) Supposed ASUS bloatware - You can at leisure uninstall things not wanted after consideration, it's not that a big deal.

    "I have also noticed that the first time I open an office file (xls, docx, ppt), it takes about 10 seconds !! Every other time I open the same type of file during the same Windows session (i.e. no reboots), it opens almost instantaneously as it should be. I honestly don't know why this happens, but I guess it has to do with Office itself."
    This is Windows Prefetch and Super Prefetch working. You must wait a while until the data is collected.
    On mine a Word or Excel file on 1st opening is ~1 to 2 sec, subsequent opening is far less than 1 sec. This on a standard Laptop 1 TB HDD.
    The data for this is redone after a while.

    "I factory reset the laptop back to its original setup once, so that might have played its role in the fragmentation."
    " I performed a clean install of windows without the ASUS bloatware"
    Either of those get you back to square one and a load of updates and Windows management stuff has to be done yet again. The fragmentation matters little in modern disc filing systems.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 13
    Windows 10 - Fall Creators Update
    Thread Starter
       31 Mar 2018 #18

    Helmut said: View Post
    I do not think anything is wrong other than impatience,
    1) The HDD speed is typical of a laptop 1 TB HDD (the SSD users have the memory loss).
    2) Defragmentation is done automatically to a schedule in Windows 10. I just set that to weekly or monthly. Worst mine ever gets to is ~2%. Not that it matters with modern disc filing systems.
    3) Supposed ASUS bloatware - You can at leisure uninstall things not wanted after consideration, it's not that a big deal.

    "I have also noticed that the first time I open an office file (xls, docx, ppt), it takes about 10 seconds !! Every other time I open the same type of file during the same Windows session (i.e. no reboots), it opens almost instantaneously as it should be. I honestly don't know why this happens, but I guess it has to do with Office itself."
    This is Windows Prefetch and Super Prefetch working. You must wait a while until the data is collected.
    On mine a Word or Excel file on 1st opening is ~1 to 2 sec, subsequent opening is far less than 1 sec. This on a standard Laptop 1 TB HDD.
    The data for this is redone after a while.

    "I factory reset the laptop back to its original setup once, so that might have played its role in the fragmentation."
    " I performed a clean install of windows without the ASUS bloatware"
    Either of those get you back to square one and a load of updates and Windows management stuff has to be done yet again. The fragmentation matters little in modern disc filing systems.
    Yeah, you are right. I was not aware of the Prefetch thing and by no means was I expecting for the performance to improve over time. Guess I'll have to wait a few weeks before I judge the laptop's performance after all...
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    31 Mar 2018 #19

    iparout said: View Post
    Updating just to say that the retailer found no hardware issues on the laptop (although his search was not as thorough as mine), but anyways I performed a clean install of windows without the ASUS bloatware and I noticed a slight improvement in disk performance. It still takes about 2 minutes to fully boot -mostly because Google Backup And Sync scans the disk everytime upon boot-. I just have to accept that this is probably the best performance I can get out of the mechanical HDD it has.

    I have also noticed that the first time I open an office file (xls, docx, ppt), it takes about 10 seconds !! Every other time I open the same type of file during the same Windows session (i.e. no reboots), it opens almost instantaneously as it should be. I honestly don't know why this happens, but I guess it has to do with Office itself.
    I don't use this, so I'm not familiar with it at all, but, can you set this for a delayed start?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    17 May 2018 #20

    Guys!

    I have Asus ROG with this HDD and performance is horrible. On the other forum I've found that firmware update could help. But for me it's not working, because my firmware differs from the one the guy has. CrystalDiskMark measures about 800 kB/s with this disk. I tried all, and this is definitely NOT software issue. It's this Seagate very poor performance.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Related Threads
I've been having this problem for a long time, I've tried resetting my pc to factory settings, didn't work. I tried windows trouble-shooter, didn't work. When I boot I am greeted with a zoostorm logo for about 50 seconds followed by a black screen...
My windows got updated automatically on 23-12-16 with KB3206632.Ever Since this update My Disk Active Time is always at 100%, I am unable to do anything as everything becomes 'Not Responding'. It comes down to normal for only a few seconds in which...
Solved SSD Disk Active time 100% in Performance & Maintenance
Hi, I have a relatively fresh installation of Windows 10 but it often gets very laggy. - Any window takes a while to open - Even typing on the keyboard has a delay - Programs not responding I did the usual checks such as - Antivirus /...
Hi, I just noticed the clock on my Windows 10 tablet is running noticeably slow. Over the last few days I've seen wrong times and done a manual sync to the time server, which sets it right again. Now, if I bring up the calendar display, it's...
Hi all, I'm using an Intel SSD 240GB 520 series. Always loading very fast, i.e., about 8 seconds from cold boot. Since windows 10 is installed, boot time is about 20 seconds and desktop icons take some time to refresh and load their images. ...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:45.
Find Us