Windows 10: System Reserved Fragmented Solved

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 192
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Version 1803
       20 Dec 2017 #1

    System Reserved Fragmented


    I noticed my System Reserved was 11% Fragmented I think this happened after a OS upgrade to 1709. I cant seem to defrag it as I read it not important but like to fix this.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	168948.


    I went into Disk management & letter drive as B so I can see whats is n it & its empty directory. & tryed to chkddsk /f & defrag it & no change.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	4.9 KB 
ID:	168949

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	168950 <--- There is no files in this Reserved.


    When I right click the Reserved drive in Explorer strange thing I get this as it thinks it has files in it.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	168951

    I tried to reformat this & wont let me so even though it wont affect anything just want to defrag it to 0%.

    Thannks
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    20 Dec 2017 #2

    There ARE files there, namely those required to run the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE for short). Some folks feel they are necessary, other folks rely on completely different tools and blow the partition away.

    Did you set File Explorer option to be able to see both hidden and system files?

    If you execute "reagentc /info" at an elevated (admin) command prompt, the output will tell you if and where an active WinRE is.

    It's only used infrequently so there's nothing to gain with defrag unless you're OCD about it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 8,795
    10 Home x64 (1809) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       20 Dec 2017 #3

    Word Man said: View Post
    There ARE files there, namely those required to run the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE for short)....
    It's important not to confuse the Recovery partition with the Microsoft Reserved Partition. You're talking about the Recovery partition, but the OP may be talking about the MSR - a completely different feature, only found on gpt-partitoned drives.

    (no real need to defrag that, either)

    What is a Microsoft Reserved Partition (MSR)?
    The Microsoft Reserved Partition (MSR) reserves space on each disk drive for subsequent use by operating system software. GPT disks do not allow hidden sectors. Software components that formerly used hidden sectors now allocate portions of the MSR for component-specific partitions...
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...ws-and-gpt-faq
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  4.    20 Dec 2017 #4

    Bree said: View Post
    It's important not to confuse the Recovery partition with the Microsoft Reserved Partition. You're talking about the Recovery partition, but the OP may be talking about the MSR - a completely different feature, only found on gpt-partitoned drives.

    (no real need to defrag that, either)

    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...ws-and-gpt-faq
    I'm fairly certain from the appearance and context that OP is talking about the Recovery Partition. No confusion on my part but you do well, Bree, to make the point so that no one else is confused.

    True MSR would be found empty (in most cases) but it wouldn't show up in Optimize Drives just the same as it won't show in Disk Management.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    20 Dec 2017 #5

    OP IS DEFINITELY talking about the System Reserved Partition as OP clearly has a legacy bios installation. This has nothing to do with the MSR partition or Recovery partition.

    It really does not matter if the system reserved partition is fragmented as it is static and impact on booting will be negligible. The partition is only briefly accessed during bootup and not used during normal operation.

    Just leave it alone and things will be fine.
    Last edited by cereberus; 21 Dec 2017 at 08:27.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    21 Dec 2017 #6

    cereberus said: View Post
    OP IS DEFINITELY talking about the System Reserved Partition as OP clearly has a legacy bios installation. This has nothing to so with the MSR partition or Recovery partition.

    It really does not matter if the system reserved partition is fragmented as it is static and impact on booting will be negligible. The partition is only briefly accessed during bootup and not used during normal operation.

    Just leave it alone and things will be fine.
    Yes, I see what you mean, @cereberus - I misspoke in labeling that partition Recovery. I checked myself by looking at the section prior to the one linked by Bree, i.e., https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...ive-partitions Therein they label the partition OP speaks of as System. I fall too easily into the trap of loose semantics on these.

    I guess it only qualifies as speculation (unless we hear more from @DrSysop) that the partition in question contains the WinRE. Nonetheless, there are files in the partition.

    At least we are all aligned in that OP can well afford to just let the partition be.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    21 Dec 2017 #7

    I've noticed running Optimise through GUI doesn't optimize System Reserved (even if it says it needs it).

    However if you run defrag / c /h /o from command line it does. This is on a BIOS PC...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	2 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	169048

    I agree you don't need to as it is only written to when you upgrade Windows but it is an interesting difference.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    21 Dec 2017 #8

    Word Man said: View Post
    Yes, I see what you mean, @cereberus - I misspoke in labeling that partition Recovery. I checked myself by looking at the section prior to the one linked by Bree, i.e., https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...ive-partitions Therein they label the partition OP speaks of as System. I fall too easily into the trap of loose semantics on these.

    I guess it only qualifies as speculation (unless we hear more from @DrSysop) that the partition in question contains the WinRE. Nonetheless, there are files in the partition.

    At least we are all aligned in that OP can well afford to just let the partition be.
    Most definitely the System Reserved partition

    This drive has only two partitions - not even the MSR or any recovery partitions as I deleted them.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	42 
Size:	11.6 KB 
ID:	169052
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    21 Dec 2017 #9

    lx07 said: View Post
    I've noticed running Optimise through GUI doesn't optimize System Reserved (even if it says it needs it).

    However if you run defrag / c /h /o from command line it does. This is on a BIOS PC...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	2 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	169048

    I agree you don't need to as it is only written to when you upgrade Windows but it is an interesting difference.
    Yeah - interesting but pointless.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    21 Dec 2017 #10

    cereberus said: View Post
    Most definitely the System Reserved partition

    This drive has only two partitions - not even the MSR or any recovery partitions as I deleted them.
    ...
    But as it's MBR, there'd never have been an MSR, correct?
    My guess that OP's WinRE is in the SR partition is only based on the amount of space in use shown in the first post. WinRE could as easily be there (or on the Windows partition) as in a Recovery partition.

    But enough said on that unless OP wants to pursue it beyond what we've provided here.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Related Threads
Hello guys.I installed Windows 10 on my computer, a while ago, and had to format.I already had a 1TB HD with my files (videos, photos, games ...) and (obviously) I did not format it because Windows is on an SSD disk.Then I added another 1TB hard...
Hi HP Laptop 240 2000ca, win 10 update from win 7. The system hard drive stays at 77% fragmented and when analyzed it moves to 100%, then when I optimize it runs a very few seconds and stays at 77% fragmented and says it needs optimization. Photo...
System Reserved? in General Support
Hi All Have been trying to find out, in Disc management why I have one HDD showing it System Reserved. I think it was my old system drive and may have had Win 7 on. Many Thanks for any help Alan ...
No system reserved partition in Installation and Upgrade
Installed a Samsung SSD on my Asus CM6730-06 desktop running Win7. the Win7 OS was cloned from the Asus Pc to Samsung SSD. Windows 7 runs great off the SSD. Got a Windows 10 upgrade notice and received an automatic download of Win10 but when it...
No system reserved partition on my SSD in Installation and Upgrade
How do I create a system reserved partition on my SSD C: drive. I have 3 other drives installed and all have reserved system partitions. Any help would be appreciated
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:32.
Find Us