Windows 10: 2017 Hardware Thread [2]

Page 48 of 107 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898 ... LastLast
  1.    20 Nov 2017 #471

    Yeah it only has one bios chip, looked it up. Should be a setting in bios to kill all the RGB if you wanted to.

    Flashing bios will for sure kill all saved profiles.

    The Mark2 is only about $100 cheaper than the Apex VI Just saying
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2. ThrashZone's Avatar
    Posts : 3,882
    3-Win-7Prox64 2-Win10Prox64
       20 Nov 2017 #472

    doorules said: View Post
    Yeah it only has one bios chip, looked it up. Should be a setting in bios to kill all the RGB if you wanted to.

    Flashing bios will for sure kill all saved profiles.

    The Mark2 is only about $100 cheaper than the Apex VI Just saying
    Hi,
    Just need to get micro center to freaking stock an apex :)
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3. Cliff S's Avatar
    Posts : 21,743
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
    Thread Starter
       21 Nov 2017 #473

    http://qdms.intel.com/dm/i.aspx/F61D...N115909-00.pdf

    Description of Change to the Customer:
    In order to ensure a continuous supply of the Intel® Core™ i5-8400 Processor, Intel® Core™ i5-8600K Processor, Intel® Core™ i7-8700 Processor, and Intel® Core™ i7-8700K Processor listed in the "Products Affected" Table below, Intel will be adding an additional manufacturing site for Assembly/Test. The new site is located in Chengdu, China. The new manufacturing site has been certified equivalent (form, fit, function, and reliability) for the affected products and technologies of this change.

    Due to this change, the "ASSEMBLED IN Country" on the Box Label will now include China. See label example below - This label is a representation for example purposes only. The actual label will reflect correct product data.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  4. Cliff S's Avatar
    Posts : 21,743
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
    Thread Starter
       21 Nov 2017 #474

    Cliff S said: View Post
    Hey Tommy, do you just move your old system disk to the new machine, and let Windows make adjustments for the drivers, or do you do a clean install?


    I was thinking of running slmgr /upk before taking my current build apart, moving the system disk(M.2) to the new board and seeing of it boots,

    OR...

    The better choice, after running slmgr /upk, then run %windir%System32SysprepSysprep.exe

    Choose ‘Enter System Out-of-Box-Experience (OOBE)’ for ‘System Cleanup Action’, select the check box ‘Generalize’, select ‘Shutdown Options’ as ‘Shutdown’ and click ‘OK’.

    Then let the ‘System Preparation’ tool generalize now the Windows system setup and shutdown.

    Then disassemble this system, build the new one, move the system disk to the new one.

    Boot into Windows and let it now install the default drivers and update the system registry.

    At last it boots finally into Windows and then I need to enter all necessary information as needed at the time of a fresh installation.

    Create a user for the PC, do not put the old user name as it already exists in the system.

    The reason to create a temporary user, is for the purpose of completing the process.

    Then I can log-on with the old user name choosing from the list at the log-on screen.

    Windows now boots to default OOBE first boot desktop where all installed programs are there, also my old user profiles and folders as well.

    Lastly, NOW I can delete the temporary user profile that I have created earlier.
    OldMike65 said: View Post
    Nice information Cliff, I copied it for future reference if needed. :)
    Cliff S said: View Post
    Ah Mike, I haven't done it yet.... ever.
    This is what I will try though, from my research, it worked on Win7, but there is always that chance stuff can go south,
    I just have to much software that needs reinstalling and many with licenses(mostly free ones from ShareWareOnSale, so I#m not sure some of it can be reactivated, and would hate to have to wait until I can get it again, as I am pretty impatient

    I talked with Shawn about it, but he is also not sure if it will work
    So I told him when I start to do it, I will create a thread, and make a "Diary" of it, and if it works, he could then make a tutorial on it.
    OldMike65 said: View Post
    Ok understood, thanks for the info anyhow.
    Cliff S said: View Post
    But the question is...
    Does it still work on Win10?

    Jay Q JayzTwoCents, just swaps the disks, he said, without the sysprep rigmarole.

    But I feel the sysprep method would be better, as then I wouldn't have any of the drivers from the prior system in there, therefor less a chance of compatibility issues.

    Have you ever done this method Steve?
    RE ALL of the above:

    I just got done talking to @Kari for about an hour, and he informed me that the above method is broken in Windows 10.
    But the good news is, just swapping the disk into the new system is all I'll need to do, without the fancy stuff, here is what he told me to do:

    1.Transfer disk from old to new system build.

    2 .Let Windows update all drivers, check device manager to make sure no X's or bangs, also reinstall any special OEM drivers I may need, as Windows will replace them with generic defaults, like the M.2 driver, Audio, LAN, IRST, ME and so on.

    3. Lastly- Run the activation trouble shooter.

    Thanks Kari:)
    Last edited by Cliff S; 21 Nov 2017 at 10:23.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5. Kari's Avatar
    Posts : 15,055
    Windows 10 Pro
       21 Nov 2017 #475

    Cliff S said: View Post
    RE ALL of the above:

    I just got done talking to @Kari for about an hour, and he informed me that the above method is broken in Windows 10.
    But the good news is, just swapping the disk into the new system is all I'll need to do, without the fancy stuff, here is what he told me to do:

    1.Transfer disk from old to new system build.2 .Let Windows update all drivers, check device manager to make sure no X's or bangs, also reinstall any special OEM drivers I may need, as Windows will replace them with generic defaults, like the M.2 driver, Audio, LAN, IRST, ME and so on.
    3. Lastly- Run the activation trouble shooter.

    Thanks Kari:)
    You are welcome.

    The Sysprep method to make Windows installation hardware independent to be moved to another hardware setup is not broken per se in Windows 10. It's just that due Windows 10 app provisioning, generalizing existing Windows installation is not possible, Sysprep failing when you try it.

    There is a simple workaround but as it requires removing each and every UWP app, it is not recommended.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6. Cliff S's Avatar
    Posts : 21,743
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
    Thread Starter
       21 Nov 2017 #476

    So I did some more preparation for my new ASUS board.
    Now on my Aida64 Sensor Panel:

    I made these two .png transparents, and incorporated them in:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OC ROG.png 
Views:	25 
Size:	136.2 KB 
ID:	164949

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ROG 500px.png 
Views:	25 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	164951

    to look like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	3 
Size:	215.8 KB 
ID:	164953

    If anyone with Aida64, you can add this to your sensor panel folder and import it to use too: OC ROG RED.zip
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7.    21 Nov 2017 #477

    Cliff S said: View Post
    So I did some more preparation for my new ASUS board.
    Now on my Aida64 Sensor Panel:

    I made these two .png transparents, and incorporated them in:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OC ROG.png 
Views:	25 
Size:	136.2 KB 
ID:	164949

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ROG 500px.png 
Views:	25 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	164951

    to look like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	3 
Size:	215.8 KB 
ID:	164953

    If anyone with Aida64, you can add this to your sensor panel folder and import it to use too: OC ROG RED.zip
    That looks REALLY GOOD Cliff !!!!.....I might have to grab your zip. Nice Work as always ...
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  8. Cliff S's Avatar
    Posts : 21,743
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
    Thread Starter
       21 Nov 2017 #478

    OldMike65 said: View Post
    That looks REALLY GOOD Cliff !!!!.....I might have to grab your zip. Nice Work as always ...
    Thanks Mike.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  9.    21 Nov 2017 #479

    Cliff S said: View Post
    RE ALL of the above:

    I just got done talking to @Kari for about an hour, and he informed me that the above method is broken in Windows 10.
    But the good news is, just swapping the disk into the new system is all I'll need to do, without the fancy stuff, here is what he told me to do:

    1.Transfer disk from old to new system build.

    2 .Let Windows update all drivers, check device manager to make sure no X's or bangs, also reinstall any special OEM drivers I may need, as Windows will replace them with generic defaults, like the M.2 driver, Audio, LAN, IRST, ME and so on.

    3. Lastly- Run the activation trouble shooter.

    Thanks Kari:)
    Exactly what i did and it found my copy and activated it
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  10. Cliff S's Avatar
    Posts : 21,743
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
    Thread Starter
       21 Nov 2017 #480

    solarstarshines said: View Post
    Exactly what i did and it found my copy and activated it

    So actually they have made it easier to do then:)
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 48 of 107 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898 ... LastLast

Related Threads
2017 Hardware Thread in PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Well it's that time of year where we have some interesting new Hardware choices So Kaby-Lake has been released but honestly no need for it because Skylake performs pretty much the same or better at the same speed given Kaby-Lake can OC higher ...
Source: Watch Microsoft Edge Web Summit 2017 live on Channel 9 - Microsoft Edge Dev Blog
Read more: PlayStation at E3 2017 Game - PlayStation live.playstation.com PlayStation (@PlayStation) | Twitter See also: E3 2017 | Electronic Entertainment Expo - June 13-15, 2017 E3 Live Schedule
Read more: E3 2017: All The EA Press Conference News From EA Play See also: E3 2017 | Electronic Entertainment Expo - June 13-15, 2017 E3 Live Schedule Also Watch from E3 2017:
See: Microsoft Build 2017 Featured Program Guide Microsoft Build 2017 Session Catalog Build 2017 Channel 9 Windows Build 2017 - Windows app development
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:54.
Find Us