Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
  1.    15 Sep 2017 #61
    Join Date : Jun 2014
    USA
    Posts : 1,595
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
    An SSD will not help Gameplay. It will make your games load faster but the game won't run faster. However, and SSD will make everything else start faster as well. It is much more than startup time. Everything will start faster. If you are tired of the spinning blue circle, get an SSD.
    ^ What he said.

    And honestly if you're really intent on getting "better game performance" from the current rig you're putting together, you'll need a better video card, but that'll move you past your budget. The SSD is basically an overall Windows performance experience where both Windows and programs starts and loads faster.

    As for overall game performance, not so much. I have a 2TB SSD where all my games are stored and the only noticeable performance increase is load times. Overall game performance isn't any better than having them on a standard HDD drive.

    Some may argue a frame here or there, but given the price of high capacity (1TB & up) SSD drives, if you're buying strictly for games, go with a HDD drive. If you get one for games, you're going to want to go with at least a 512 SSD drive, since anything less will eat your storage capacity fast given the size of today's games.

    I went with a 2TB SSD drive and partitioned half of it (1TB) for games, and the other half split into two other partitions for data. Keep in mind though that high capacity SSD drives are expensive (I paid over $600 for my 2TB drive) so it's something I wouldn't readily recommend.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  2.    15 Sep 2017 #62
    Join Date : Sep 2017
    Posts : 55
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
    ^ What he said.

    And honestly if you're really intent on getting "better game performance" from the current rig you're putting together, you'll need a better video card, but that'll move you past your budget. The SSD is basically an overall Windows performance experience where both Windows and programs starts and loads faster.

    As for overall game performance, not so much. I have a 2TB SSD where all my games are stored and the only noticeable performance increase is load times. Overall game performance isn't any better than having them on a standard HDD drive.

    Some may argue a frame here or there, but given the price of high capacity (1TB & up) SSD drives, if you're buying strictly for games, go with a HDD drive. If you get one for games, you're going to want to go with at least a 512 SSD drive, since anything less will eat your storage capacity fast given the size of today's games.

    I went with a 2TB SSD drive and partitioned half of it (1TB) for games, and the other half split into two other partitions for data. Keep in mind though that high capacity SSD drives are expensive (I paid over $600 for my 2TB drive) so it's something I wouldn't readily recommend.
    Is 120gb ssd good for just a few games and windows?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    15 Sep 2017 #63
    Join Date : Aug 2014
    Posts : 169
    Windows 10 Home, 64-bit

    Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaDuke View Post
    Is 120gb ssd good for just a few games and windows?
    A bare Windows 10 install is about 14 GB

    An updated Windows install is probably north of 20 GB.

    I have a fully updated Win 10 with about 60 applications installed that occupies 32 GB about 18 months after the install.

    I don't game. You'd have to judge for yourself what "few games" you mean and how much space they will take.

    Most would tell you nowadays that you should get something larger than 120, but it all depends on your individual case, your budget, and your particular "few games". SSD prices have not been coming down lately.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    15 Sep 2017 #64
    Join Date : Sep 2017
    Posts : 55
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
    A bare Windows 10 install is about 14 GB

    An updated Windows install is probably north of 20 GB.

    I have a fully updated Win 10 with about 60 applications installed that occupies 32 GB about 18 months after the install.

    I don't game. You'd have to judge for yourself what "few games" you mean and how much space they will take.

    Most would tell you nowadays that you should get something larger than 120, but it all depends on your individual case and your "few games". SSD prices have not been coming down lately.
    I mean, i have easily 30 games that i would download, but i only play csgo pubg and tf2 the most so id probably put them on there
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    15 Sep 2017 #65
    Join Date : Aug 2014
    Posts : 169
    Windows 10 Home, 64-bit

    Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaDuke View Post
    I mean, i have easily 30 games that i would download, but i only play csgo pubg and tf2 the most so id probably put them on there
    It's up to you to determine how much space those games would take. If you cannot go larger than 120 gb, you may have to prioritize and go with only your most played. Or give up on the SSD idea, depending on your budget.

    But an SSD is probably the best single thing you can do for general operation outside of gaming, other than a noticeably faster processor.

    I have no idea whether csgo pubg and tf2 take up 1 GB or 500 GB.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    15 Sep 2017 #66
    Join Date : Jun 2014
    USA
    Posts : 1,595
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaDuke View Post
    I mean, i have easily 30 games that i would download, but i only play csgo pubg and tf2 the most so id probably put them on there

    I personally think a 120 gig drive is too small and you'll find it'll get full pretty quick. Yeah you could move files and folders to a different drive, but between games and other files and programs on the SSD drive, it's still going to get full quick. If you're going to go with a 120gig SSD drive, look to get a 1TB HDD drive and install the games and some stuff there.

    Lastly, save your money and get what you want the first time. Don't for example say I'll just get a 120 gig SSD drive because that's all I can afford now, and then in less than 6 months decide to get a larger drive. Doing it that way just means you spent at least twice as much for what you could have got the first time for less.

    My two cents.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  7.    15 Sep 2017 #67
    Join Date : Sep 2017
    Posts : 55
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
    I personally think a 120 gig drive is too small and you'll find it'll get full pretty quick. Yeah you could move files and folders to a different drive, but between games and other files and programs on the SSD drive, it's still going to get full quick. If you're going to go with a 120gig SSD drive, look to get a 1TB HDD drive and install the games and some stuff there.

    Lastly, save your money and get what you want the first time. Don't for example say I'll just get a 120 gig SSD drive because that's all I can afford now, and then in less than 6 months decide to get a larger drive. Doing it that way just means you spent at least twice as much for what you could have got the first time for less.

    My two cents.
    That is true, i am buy a 1 tb hdd, but im still deciding whether to get a 16gb ram rather than a 8gb or a ssd.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    15 Sep 2017 #68
    Join Date : Sep 2017
    Posts : 55
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
    It's up to you to determine how much space those games would take. If you cannot go larger than 120 gb, you may have to prioritize and go with only your most played. Or give up on the SSD idea, depending on your budget.

    But an SSD is probably the best single thing you can do for general operation outside of gaming, other than a noticeably faster processor.

    I have no idea whether csgo pubg and tf2 take up 1 GB or 500 GB.
    So upgrade ram or get an ssd?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    15 Sep 2017 #69
    Join Date : Aug 2014
    Posts : 169
    Windows 10 Home, 64-bit

    Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaDuke View Post
    So upgrade ram or get an ssd?
    I'd say SSD rather than the upgrade from 8 to 16 RAM.

    Exceptions would be if:

    You have a specific reason to believe that the specific games you will be playing at your chosen resolution do in fact significantly benefit from 16 GB rather than 8. A specific documented reason, not something a little bird told you.

    or

    You spend 80 or 90 percent of your total PC time gaming, rather than anything else and have a gnawing fear that some day you will have a game that actually benefits from 16. You might be susceptible to this fear if the term "future proof" is in your vocabulary. You have my condolences if it is.

    You may have unrealistic expectations of an SSD. Some people do.

    I'd say you'd be better off spending the SSD or RAM upgrade money on a better CPU or graphics card. The CPU will help you overall every day and the graphics card would help you gaming. Maybe that's not a possibility. I don't know---I have not read this entire thread.

    An SSD is not going to change your life. It's not night and day. Maybe you don't care if you boot in 30 seconds rather than 70. Maybe you don't care if application X opens in 1 second rather than 3.

    On the other hand, if you have 16 GB of RAM and don't use more than 6, then that money you spent on those extra 10 GB is absolutely money down the drain.

    Do you have any idea how much RAM you currently use when gaming?

    I have 8 and have NEVER used even 5. That's why I did not buy 16. I instead emphasized a stronger CPU.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    15 Sep 2017 #70
    Join Date : Sep 2017
    Posts : 55
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
    I'd say SSD rather than the upgrade from 8 to 16 RAM.

    Exceptions would be if:

    You have a specific reason to believe that the specific games you will be playing at your chosen resolution do in fact significantly benefit from 16 GB rather than 8. A specific documented reason, not something a little bird told you.

    or

    You spend 80 or 90 percent of your total PC time gaming, rather than anything else and have a gnawing fear that some day you will have a game that actually benefits from 16. You might be susceptible to this fear if the term "future proof" is in your vocabulary. You have my condolences if it is.

    You may have unrealistic expectations of an SSD. Some people do.

    I'd say you'd be better off spending the SSD or RAM upgrade money on a better CPU or graphics card. The CPU will help you overall every day and the graphics card would help you gaming. Maybe that's not a possibility. I don't know---I have not read this entire thread.

    An SSD is not going to change your life. It's not night and day. Maybe you don't care if you boot in 30 seconds rather than 70. Maybe you don't care if application X opens in 1 second rather than 3.

    On the other hand, if you have 16 GB of RAM and don't use more than 6, then that money you spent on those extra 10 GB is absolutely money down the drain.

    Do you have any idea how much RAM you currently use when gaming?

    I have 8 and have NEVER used even 5. That's why I did not buy 16. I instead emphasized a stronger CPU.
    Probably less than 2, because i game on a laptop rocking 4gb of ram, Intel Pentium and Intel HD graphics. But hold on, I was under the impression that without SSD Windows would boot in like 10 minutes, not 20 seconds. Of course, I really dont know a lot. Thoughts?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
How to set default refresh rate
I switch between 1920x1080 to 3840x2160 and viceversa quite frequently. However, when I do this, Windows sets the refresh rate to 30hz, instead of 60. I need to manually set it to 60 each time I change resolution. Is there a way to set a default...
Graphic Cards
Rate my PC Build
Hey! You can use this forum post to have other's rate your PC build and give advice! (In order to make it easier for others, try to have it on a website that organizes parts like PCPartPicker.)
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Frame rate
I have a strange problem. problems I have playing Battlefield 4 sometimes the computer will buzz and then blue screen and sometimes it will buzz and I just lose sound, also playing Star Wars Battlefront frame rates will drop to 12 I can...
Gaming
Old CRT Refresh Rate Issues
Hello everyone, just built a new PC after about 7 years and I'm coming from XP64. Although I plan on purchasing a new monitor soon I am still using my old ViewSonic G90f CRT. With XP I used ReForce to use refresh rates of 120hz in 640x480/800x600...
Graphic Cards
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:30.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums