Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    13 Apr 2017 #1
    Join Date : May 2015
    Smyrna, TN
    Posts : 295
    Win 10 Pro 64

    Ryzen 1700 just playing around with it


    With the release of Ryzen and the new but yet unproven motherboards for this chipset I decided to dust off my old test bench and see what all the hype is all about......

    I went with the "Plain Jane" 1700 not only for the price but it seems to have the most headroom for what little overclocking is available with these new kids on the block.....

    To mount the processor I picked up the ASUS CrossHair VI Hero which is the so called top of the line from ASUS for AM4 builds.......as most of you have seen if you have been looking the availability of after-market coolers is rather limited at this time however the CrossHair VI board is pre-drilled to accommodate both AM4 and AM3 coolers.......a smart move on their part....

    Another drawback to the Ryzen world is the limited RAM that is vendor approved as well as the ability to run above 2666MHz on most boards anyways......hopefully later EUFI BIOS updates will help.....so, until then I am using a 16GB set of Corsair 2133MHz sticks......Keeping with the AMD theme I mounted an ASUS 480 GPU........

    This is my bench custom build, one of a kind and a pleasure to work with.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170409_114555 (Small).jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	102.3 KB 
ID:	129903

    Once I had all the components on the bench........oh yea, I decided to use the included CPU heatsink just to see how far I could push it temperature wise....

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170409_161209 (Small).jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	110.9 KB 
ID:	129904

    After installing Windows I let the system run overnight and checked the Event Viewer for any problems and then I lit it up..........managed to get it close to 3900Mhz and let it run under stress using AIDA64 for over an hour......

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cpuid.png 
Views:	56 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	129905Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stabilitytest.png 
Views:	5 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	129906

    Not satisfied I pulled the Wraith Spire Cooler and put it under an AIO Alphacool 280 unit and decided to push it to the limits...........

    BIG MISTAKE.........bricked the board.......tried CPR with several beta BIOS(s) from ASUS as well as flashbacks but I proved I was just as good as several reviewers when it came to breaking this board.........

    Stay tuned......I now have the MSI X370 SLI Plus coming to the furnace room and we will see how long it takes me to put this in the junk pile.....
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    13 Apr 2017 #2
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Texas
    Posts : 10,778
    Windows 10 Pro X64

    Nice bench, bummer with bricking it
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    13 Apr 2017 #3
    Join Date : May 2015
    Smyrna, TN
    Posts : 295
    Win 10 Pro 64
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Dude View Post
    Nice bench, bummer with bricking it
    Thanks Dude.........Several reviewers I know have had a good deal of problems with most of the boards.......I think that AMD messed up not keeping the board producers updated with the information they needed to get the most of this new breed of processors......but I also wonder if the likes of ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte, and the rest of them were just ho-humming it due to the last few flops which AMD brought to market with a lot of hype and not much horse power.....
    Last edited by kipper; 13 Apr 2017 at 16:41.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    13 Apr 2017 #4
    Join Date : Jun 2014
    USA
    Posts : 1,571
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by kipper View Post
    Several reviewers I know have had a good deal of problems with most of the boards.......I think that AMD messed up not keeping the board producers updated with the information they needed to get the most of this new breed of processors......but I also wonder if the likes of ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte, and the rest of them were no just ho-humming it due to the last few flops which AMD brought to market with a lot of hype and not much horse power.....
    That's too bad. Hopefully the board manufacturers get the boards together or this is really going to kill AMD's push into Intel's market. While a lot of people are praising AMD's new processors and what they could do, I've not hear much of the critical talk about the boards. This is where Intel has the huge advantage... board performance.

    Anyway thanks for the quick review. And sorry to hear the board bricked.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  5.    13 Apr 2017 #5
    Join Date : May 2015
    Smyrna, TN
    Posts : 295
    Win 10 Pro 64
    Thread Starter

    Yea, I was hoping to have better news.....I am hoping the MSI board with its latest BIOS will show more promise.......I think the boards will come around in a month or so as all the dust settles......I was a little shocked with the performance of the CrossHair....I have reviewed a good number of ASUS boards when I reviewed for them on the ROG forums and ASUS usually sets the bar........
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    13 Apr 2017 #6
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 920
    Windows 10 Pro

    I think a lot of the excitement is based on paper an what it "could do". I haven't seen anything persuasive to make me want to switch from Intel on my next build.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    13 Apr 2017 #7
    Join Date : May 2015
    Smyrna, TN
    Posts : 295
    Win 10 Pro 64
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    I think a lot of the excitement is based on paper an what it "could do". I haven't seen anything persuasive to make me want to switch from Intel on my next build.
    Things might move more towards AMD with Ryzen 5 coming out.........once the boards are in good working order and these new 4 and 6 core processors being priced better there is still a chuck of the market that AMD could garner with the right marketing....
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    13 Apr 2017 #8

    Quote Originally Posted by kipper View Post
    With the release of Ryzen and the new but yet unproven motherboards for this chipset I decided to dust off my old test bench and see what all the hype is all about......

    I went with the "Plain Jane" 1700 not only for the price but it seems to have the most headroom for what little overclocking is available with these new kids on the block.....

    To mount the processor I picked up the ASUS CrossHair VI Hero which is the so called top of the line from ASUS for AM4 builds.......as most of you have seen if you have been looking the availability of after-market coolers is rather limited at this time however the CrossHair VI board is pre-drilled to accommodate both AM4 and AM3 coolers.......a smart move on their part....

    Another drawback to the Ryzen world is the limited RAM that is vendor approved as well as the ability to run above 2666MHz on most boards anyways......hopefully later EUFI BIOS updates will help.....so, until then I am using a 16GB set of Corsair 2133MHz sticks......Keeping with the AMD theme I mounted an ASUS 480 GPU........

    This is my bench custom build, one of a kind and a pleasure to work with.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170409_114555 (Small).jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	102.3 KB 
ID:	129903

    Once I had all the components on the bench........oh yea, I decided to use the included CPU heatsink just to see how far I could push it temperature wise....

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170409_161209 (Small).jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	110.9 KB 
ID:	129904

    After installing Windows I let the system run overnight and checked the Event Viewer for any problems and then I lit it up..........managed to get it close to 3900Mhz and let it run under stress using AIDA64 for over an hour......

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cpuid.png 
Views:	56 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	129905Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stabilitytest.png 
Views:	5 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	129906

    Not satisfied I pulled the Wraith Spire Cooler and put it under an AIO Alphacool 280 unit and decided to push it to the limits...........

    BIG MISTAKE.........bricked the board.......tried CPR with several beta BIOS(s) from ASUS as well as flashbacks but I proved I was just as good as several reviewers when it came to breaking this board.........

    Stay tuned......I now have the MSI X370 SLI Plus coming to the furnace room and we will see how long it takes me to put this in the junk pile.....
    I have a 1600x on it's way so we'll both play around
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    13 Apr 2017 #9
    Join Date : May 2015
    Smyrna, TN
    Posts : 295
    Win 10 Pro 64
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by solarstarshines View Post
    I have a 1600x on it's way so we'll both play around
    Sweet......I almost held off for Ryzen 5 but the itch was a bitch and I could not stop from pulling the trigger......
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    13 Apr 2017 #10
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 920
    Windows 10 Pro

    Let me know what you guys think. I want to build a desktop for myself that runs VMs like nobodies business, with gaming a far second.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Intel should be very worried about AMD's Ryzen 7 processors
Read more: Intel should be very worried about AMD's Ryzen 7 processors | ZDNet
Windows 10 News
Solved Ryzen 1700 OS issues
I have just bought Ryzen 1700. There are issues apparently. Like Balanced profile doesn't really go well with the new features that the processor has...or doesn't utilize them properly. AMD suggested Performance power profile. Also there are...
Drivers and Hardware
MSI unleashes more than 30 new Kaby Lake and AMD Ryzen motherboards
Keep reading! MSI unleashes more than 30 new Kaby Lake and AMD Ryzen motherboards | PCWorld
Windows 10 News
AMD reveals an army of Ryzen PCs and AM4 motherboards
Keep reading! AMD reveals an army of Ryzen PCs and AM4 motherboards | PCWorld See also: AMD Showcases High-Performance Ecosystem Ready for Ryzen™ Including PCs and AM4 Motherboards from Technology Partners
Windows 10 News
SRWare Iron 31.0.1700.00 (Chrome OS
For those of you looking to play around in the Chrome OS SRWare Iron 31.01700.00 is out. Haven't tried it yet, But will attempt to see if it will work in VMWare workstation later today. Source
Software and Apps
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:17.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums